cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just received a text message from Telus about being Overcharged

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

The thing, I never inquired or mentioned anything

Telus: Dear client, your refund of 65.10$ is now ready for deposit after a recent overcharge. To deposit your funds, see:

This was the message, I have had to redact the last part as it was a link to Bank deposit, like an e-transfer

But, Not sure if this is a legitimate text or someone pretending and it's a scam message

22 REPLIES 22

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

I recently experienced this with masterpass. They emailed saying if I don't log in my account will expire.

They're getting pretty clever these days! 

Same scam with 'your PayPal account is blocked' or whatever frightening word they can add in.

I usually look at sending address and yes, I go and log into particular site I have account with to see if there is any issues there.

It is amazing how much effort these scammers put into scam instead of using their brains for something good.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When I ever get anything suspicious like that, I'll go manually to the offenders site without clicking the link and log in, if everything's looking fine once I'm in, especially if there's no message directly in my account about the same thing, I'll ignore it

I recently experienced this with masterpass. They emailed saying if I don't log in my account will expire. So I bypassed the email link and went straight to their site and logged in, all looks well. Couple weeks later the same email. Did the same thing again, account is fine. Seems like very clever scam, especially the sender email not being a random string of letters and numbers

They're getting pretty clever these days! 

@gpixel 

Do you think the OP really needs to consider the option of purchasing a new phone? ( seriously asking, not being facetious)

I mean, sure, confirm the security of all their financial accounts, and maybe do a factory reset of the device, but a new phone?

Curious if others might weigh in on that as a necessity?

@makkahn28 

just clicking on the link could've downloaded a script to your phone. it's best to keep an eye on the way your phone is reacting and on your finances. check to see if you have any apps you don't recognize and try to delete it. 

if any of these are true. I would probably purchase a new phone. and disable auto receive MMS and don't click on text message links unless it's from your friends or family.

everything else can be confirmed through making calls to the company

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 

It sounds to me like you've taken the appropriate steps.

You're right, there is a whole industry of people trying to scam other people and it's become very complex and sophisticated. The pandemic is actually probably making it worse as more people tend to be online than ever before so there is more opportunity for these scammers.

A rule of thumb would be to never, ever click on anything within any form of communication from any provider.

If you receive a message you aren't expecting, contact the provider directly to confirm the validity of the communication before taking any action within it

Good luck!!!

@makkahn28 wrote:

The thing, I never inquired or mentioned anything

Telus: Dear client, your refund of 65.10$ is now ready for deposit after a recent overcharge. To deposit your funds, see:

This was the message, I have had to redact the last part as it was a link to Bank deposit, like an e-transfer

But, Not sure if this is a legitimate text or someone pretending and it's a scam message

Public Mobile doesn't accept payments directly from bank account, so there isn't any reason that they would ever need you collect an e-mail transfer for a refund.  Any refund issued by Public Mobile will be automatic, without any intervention required by the customer to collect it (other than to perhaps request a refund if it is due). Such refund would also go back directly to the same method that was used to pay in the first place.

@makkahn28 wrote:

I have also sent a pm to Moderator team as well

Unfortunately I have clicked the link, BUT haven't gone beyond the next part that looks like a which bank to deposit to

Hoping I have not compromised myself

@makkahn28  Best monitor your bank accounts closely for a while, and even change your account password.  Hopefully nothing untoward will unfold. Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Hi. The link took me to a page where it asks which bank to deposit to, like how an e-transfer procedure

Once I saw that page, I exited the page, not going any further and then went to the PM Community and then after left a PM to a Moderator as well

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@makkahn28  if you havne't got to a stage of providing any personnel information, it should be fine.  Just to confirm, after you clicked on the link, was any stage it comes up saying it needs to install something?  If not or if you didn't say yes to install.  should be fine.

@makkahn28 

Legitimate businesses never contact you by text message about refunds. If you have an online account they would contact you via your accounts email. Never click on text messages with embedded links unless you are sure you have subscribed to them such as pc express updating you about your grocery order....so you are expectng the text.

Toggle airplane mode on/off to change your phone's IP address if you are not at home on wifi and refresh your network connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 : Yes, I know, you've been here for like ever. If you had your VPN on before you clicked on the link then you've helped a couple things. But there could still be nefarious javascript. And they got the hit. Maybe even something identifying you from the link depending on what all was embedded in it.

@Anonymous , @AE_Collector , As I have been with PM since either Oct or Nov or 2014, but hopefully I wasn't compromised.

I have switched on my VPN 

Though I Clicked that link, BUT haven't gone beyond the first page and haven't given any personal information

Just hoping that the bad Grapes haven't been able to steal anything off my handset

You didn’t port in to Public Mobile FROM Telus in the last couple of months? If you were on a post paid plan they will contact you asking how to refund any partial month they owe you. If none of the above then. It is a scam.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 : You've given them a hit. That site may have nefarious javascript. They have your ip address and general location if you don't use a vpn. Always practice wary safe-internet.

@makkahn28 wrote:

Unfortunately I have clicked the link, BUT haven't gone beyond the next part that looks like a which bank to deposit to

@makkahn28   As long as you haven't provided any personal info, I'd think you should be okay although I can't be 100% certain as my rule is to  never click on unsolicited links, even if they have a recognized name behind them.   I'd still block and then delete it though.

@Meow , the message doesn't state for PM or Telus Mobility, But under some Care Turn Telus.

Just how can there be some Bad to the Bone people doing this, especially during an Worldwide Pandemic Emergency which is already contentious and stressful as is

@Meow   What do you think Yummy would do?

The message came via Text message

How can there a bad batch of pears that like to pull off one of their All-Star Scams?

@dabr @makkahn28  There's similar texts being sent out about refunds from Rogers, Amazon and Costco.  

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Is there a link you have to click? Be careful!!!!!

Maybe you should call Telus and inquire. Is that related to your Telus or PM account?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28   I wouldn't click on that link...it's most likely some scam.  I've received a similar text/link in the past about reimbursement for being overcharged, though it  wasn't from Telus. 

Unless you had some outstanding issue with Telus (in the past?), I would just add that number to the spam list to block.

Need Help? Let's chat.