cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have $50 Unlimited Canada/USA Calling cant call USA it says I don't have a long dist add on

PubMobSux12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have $50 Unlimited Canada/USA Calling cant call USA it says I don't have a long dist add on.

its been like this for over a week now.. 

there should be at least 1 person online for every hour of the day that fixes issues 

TELUS FIX MY ISSUE ASAP.. my father is dying and I cant reach him.. 

68 REPLIES 68

@PubMobSux12  I'm happy to hear you will be taking them to task. I have my own issues with them I'm gearing up to deal with that I know I will end with filing a formal complaint with the CCTS. Keep us informed of your progress. I for one am very interested in the result.

PubMobSux12

I will contact the CCTS as well as the Canadian Privacy Commission office, as well as the CRTC. 

I have them on recording saying more than 3 times saying that they do not want or need the phone back. I also have them on recording trying to twist what I said around. 

I only found out that they were recording me was about 30 min into the call and I told them that I was recording and I asked if I was being recorded and they said "YES"  (I did not have to tell them as per my legal right to record then without consent and without them knowing)

I then told them that they violated my privacy rights under the PIPEDA ACT. and I said that they needed to tell me at the start of the call as they are the ones who called me back. but they failed to tell me about the call so I asked for the recording to be deleted and they declined. they basically said to me that I had no legal right to ask for it to be deleted and I had no legal right to privacy. 

@PubMobSux12  Third time lucky? Conspiracy theorists would love this but pm being quirky it's always these kind of posts that *poof* disappear...anyhow our latest way to post them is....shhhh... By taking a screenshot!Screenshot_20191113-200805.png

@PubMobSux12  sigh  it's my *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug again  I will repost  when I get home and find it in my unmoderated items . I should just learn to get over the spelling mistakes and not fix them.

PubMobSux12

@darlicious  the notifications show you replied to my post I did this morning. I cant see the comment.

anyways  I would also like to say that I was speaking with "TAMISHA" from the Office of the president. so let me make this clear to everyone. Fido/Rogers says the phone I have was activated by the person who sold me the phone (not service) by a fraudulent way and that the phone belongs t "Fido/Rogers" as the guy who sold me the phone should never have had the account and Fido/Rogers considers the phone STOLEN and that Fido/Rogers still owns the phone so that's why they blacklisted the IMEI. I told Fido/Rogers that I would have no issue returning the phone back to them since they said the phone is theirs. they refused my offer in taken it back to them. the way I see it and I'm sure the courts would see is since they refused to take the phone back they give up any legal rights to the phone that also means any legal rights to the phones IMEI number.

PubMobSux12

Update:

So after purchasing a phone 2nd hand and using it for about 5 months (a few months with another carrier than with Public), it has been blacklisted. I called everyone I could think of and Fido (the original carrier) called me back (during dinner hours as I was eating dinner). It turns out the original owner activated their account fraudulently. So after an investigation they then blacklisted it. We then asked why didn't they blacklist the IMEI during the investigation then pending the outcome of the investigation can decide if it stays on the blacklist or gets taken off the blacklist, they had no real answer. We then asked how much would they need to take it off the blacklist and then said they can't do that because of the fraudulent activity on the account and we are no the owner of the fraudulent account. We then asked if they wanted it back and they said they don't need it. We were then accused of blackmailing them into giving the phone back to them. They said that by us offering to buy the phone out meant we were going to turn around and demand money for giving the phone to them. We just asked if they wanted the phone back because we can't do anything with it and were essentially in the possession of the stolen property. We see it that they contributed to the scam sale of the phone to us because they knew the account was fraudulent yet allowed the account holder to keep using the phone and do what they want instead of blacklisting the phone pending and investigation outcome. Their failure to blacklist the phone during the investigation allowed the fraudulent account hold to be able to sell the phone. We did all the right steps. I checked the IMEI to make sure it wasn't blacklisted and still got Scammed over almost half a year later. We were even willing to go to an actual store with the box and phone and ID and prove who were are. We even have my wife's number who shares a 20 yr old Rogers account with her parents to show we weren't hiding anything. It goes to show they really only care about themselves. If this was flipped and we couldn't pay a bill due to our bank account getting frozen due to fraudulent activity they would not care or if there is data usage or mins you didn't us, we would be responsible still. So it was their responsibility as the actual owners of the phone to have blacklisted the device pending the outcome of the investigation. They truly are contributing to people scamming people and working around the current system.

At the end of the phone call I said that I have been recording the phone call as per my legal rights to record without their consent. They said that they themselves was also recording the call. I then said that they did not tell me at the beginning of the call that they are recording the call and by doing so violated my privacy rights because they are an Organization/Business as per the PIPEDA Act. I then asked them to delete the recording as they did not get my consent before recording they refused to do so and told me to contact their privacy officer.

BELOW ARE IS THE PIPEDA ACT that companies and organizations have to follow
In Canada, organizations subject to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act[3] (PIPEDA) must comply with PIPEDA when recording calls.[4]

In order to comply with the PIPEDA, organizations should take the following steps when recording conversations:[4]

The individual must be informed that the conversation is being recorded at the beginning of the call. This can be done by an automated recording or by the customer service representative.[4]
The individual must be advised of the purposes. The organization must be clear about the purposes; an organization should not state that it is recording the conversation for quality assurance purposes if, in fact, the recording will be used for other purposes. Informing the individual of the purposes can be done in a variety of ways—verbally, by pressing a number on the keypad (in the case of automated messages) or with clear messages on monthly statements. (For example: If you have any questions about your bill please call 1-800-XXX-XXXX. Please note your call will be recorded for...) If the individual proceeds knowing the conversation is being recorded and the purpose of the recording, consent is implied.[4]
If the caller objects to the recording, the organization should provide the caller with meaningful alternatives. The alternatives might involve not taping the call; visiting a retail outlet; writing a letter; or, conducting the transaction over the Internet.[4]

PubMobSux12

I have yet to hear back from Fido, they said they would get back to me on Monday I told them that it's a holiday (Remembrance Day) they said that they were still open on remembrance day. if I don't get a call back by noon I'll be calling them up again as the phone is still blacklisted.

@PubMobSux12  Sounds like there's a light at the end of tunnel. I wasn't aware that brightstar could blacklist phones but I suppose to prevent insurance fraud it makes sense. Given that their insurance product is almost a scam in its own right it's a little ironic. They should be directly going after the fraudster versus the phone...and one purchased in good faith and due diligence. Fingers crossed this will work out for you. You don't have an old phone or a cheap electronics retailer (like vision electronics) in your area to pick up a legitimate (for sure) phone for under $50 to use for now and have as a back up if you do get your good and much more expensive phone up and running.

PubMobSux12

Update on phone being blacklisted:

I called Fido this morning asked them about my phone being blacklisted and also said why was it blacklisted if it been well over 60 days (60 days is fidos cutoff if not reported lost/stolen within 60 days phone cant be blacklisted) and Fido said that it's NOT showing on their end that the phone was blacklisted. when the guy did check the IMEI himself I guess on the National blacklist database he has seen that it is blacklisted but said that Fido did not blacklist it. 

they said that the insurance company "Brightstar" might have blacklisted it or it could have been t-booth or other mobile phone sellers might have done it.

the rep also said that it could also be a typo/mistake whatever that means if it shows on their end that it's not blacklisted.

so still without a working phone but the rep said they are looking into it and I will get a response back. 

@darlicious wrote:

@PubMobSux12  It is always recommended when buying anything off Craigslist

, kijiji, scalpers tickets, etc that you either take picture of the seller and their government issued ID  or make the exchange or sale in front of your local police station to be on high resolution cctc. Most criminals will not use either of these methods to sell their "merchandise." Unfortunately we have all learned lessons the hard way.

I'd meet someone at police station safe buy/sell place but if I'm selling and buyer wants to take picture and take picture of license, I'd walk out and leave.  If i'm selling you a pair of shoes, I'm not going to agree. Most selling probably won't and it has nothing to do with them scamming. It won't be worth the hassle.

@GinYVR wrote:

@PubMobSux12I highly doubt Rogers / Fido will do anything. For them to do what you are asking, don't be surprised if they ask you to pay what the guy who sold you the phone owes them.

This forum can't help you, hence I highly recommend you contact your local law enforcement  as soon as possible.

@PubMobSux12  It is always recommended when buying anything off Craigslist

, kijiji, scalpers tickets, etc that you either take picture of the seller and their government issued ID  or make the exchange or sale in front of your local police station to be on high resolution cctc. Most criminals will not use either of these methods to sell their "merchandise." Unfortunately we have all learned lessons the hard way.

@GinYVR wrote:

@PubMobSux12The only recourse now is to talk to your local law enforcement. They are the only ones that can access footage / ip etc. Hopefully they can catch the guy if they are quick enough and recover some $ for you.

If a criminal act, law enforcement can arrest someone, but it's not their place to get someome to pay you back. Only courts can order that and probably small claims court.

@PubMobSux12 wrote:

when buying I asked for the retail box. 

they guy came with the retail box. the box sticker matches the IMEI that is hard printed on the back of the phone as well as when pressing *#06#.  what is the likelihood of Fido/Rogers (its a Fido phone as per the preinstalled apps says and if its not a fido phone how can I tell what carrier reading sticker on the box ?) do you think they would unblacklist it if I showed the retail box?   

Retail box doesn't mean much. Stickers can be printed with barcodes and IMEI. Even if all original, it only means phone wasn't stolen from someone using it. It could still get stolen at home or at store with the box.

@PubMobSux12I highly doubt Rogers / Fido will do anything. For them to do what you are asking, don't be surprised if they ask you to pay what the guy who sold you the phone owes them.

This forum can't help you, hence I highly recommend you contact your local law enforcement  as soon as possible.

PubMobSux12

when buying I asked for the retail box. 

they guy came with the retail box. the box sticker matches the IMEI that is hard printed on the back of the phone as well as when pressing *#06#.  what is the likelihood of Fido/Rogers (its a Fido phone as per the preinstalled apps says and if its not a fido phone how can I tell what carrier reading sticker on the box ?) do you think they would unblacklist it if I showed the retail box?   that's sad the guy blacklisted it. I have 4 kids he even seen them when we met up at the McDonald's in Fredericton, NB we even offered to buy him a coffee or tea he declined the drink and we sat down and that's when I checked the IMEI as on telus's site as well as checked to make sure the IMEI on the sticker of the box matched the one on hard printed on the back of the phone as well as when pressing *#06#.

@PubMobSux12The only recourse now is to talk to your local law enforcement. They are the only ones that can access footage / ip etc. Hopefully they can catch the guy if they are quick enough and recover some $ for you.

PubMobSux12
when buying the phone I used this telus site Telus - Check your phone compatibility on our network: http://mobility.telus.com/en/ON/phones-and-devices/devicecompatibility.shtml when my phones said "Unregistered SIM" I used DeviceCheck.ca: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ as well as Telus Check your phone compatibility on our network site both sites said that my IMEI was blacklisted there should be some god **bleep** law that if a phone has not been reported lost and or stolen within 2 months of not any service on the IMEI then it should NOT be blacklisted... this is just pure BS... who the F are the feds thinking they are trying to protect with the blacklist??? I followed all the ways on how to buy online and I still got scammed... the Blacklist is not really protecting anyone but the scammers.

@GinYVR wrote:

@PubMobSux12There is always a lag between when non payment to blacklist. Usually the provider errs on the longer side, since they hope it is not a loss for them Especially there is no way to get the phone off the listS once the phone is on them.

devicecheck.ca is not run by Telus or any carrier.  It is independent. It takes time for the databases to be linked. Telus has their own database but it's not the same.  Payment issues aren't supposed to be reported to devicecheck.ca.

@PubMobSux12I don't know which website you used to check the IMEI but the one on Public Mobile is a service that has been farmed out. It is not Telus / Public Mobile's database.

@PubMobSux12There is always a lag between when non payment to blacklist. Usually the provider errs on the longer side, since they hope it is not a loss for them Especially there is no way to get the phone off the listS once the phone is on them.

PubMobSux12

it does if Telus/Public tracks their IMEI check site. as I used that site to check the IMEI at the McDonalds

@PubMobSux12

This is a very common scam. A lot of the times the seller gets the phone for $0 from a provider (often with a fake / stolen ID), sells it at any price and lapse on the payment to the provider. That will get the phone blacklisted. Alternatively, they can claim the phone as lost (insurance scam via the credit card's insurance company usually for phones that are a year + older). It doesn't matter with video evidence because the video is very unlikely to show the serial number or IMEI #. There will be doubt what was in side the box even if the video capture the transaction.

Consider this an expensive lesson.

PubMobSux12

to fix issue I had about 2 months ago I was told to briefly go login to my account and report phone lost/stolen wait 5 min then report that I found it so I did that. 

the phone I got from a seller who I met at McDonald's in Fredericton, NB he handed me the phone with the retail box. the *#06# IMEI matches the imei on the box as well as whats hard hard printed on the back of the phone. 

why would someone report it lost and or stolen if they also gave the box?  

@PubMobSux12 wrote:

Thanks, people for telling me to report my phone and then unreport it. it got my phone blacklisted. I know its blacklisted because I checked it on devicecheck.ca and it says it's blacklisted... 

You had the moderators do that right? Lost/stolen only disables the sim card. Devicecheck.ca also has a delay before getting updated so if you looked 2 months ago right after asking for blacklist, it might have still said it's a good IMEI.

PubMobSux12

I don't see how they would since I have the box for it and the chat log. also met at McDonald's so there is a video of him handing me the phone (if they keep videos for longer then 5 months).

@PubMobSux12 wrote:

so I found out my phone was blacklisted I assume it was due to when I took the advice to report my phone lost/stolen to fix the issue I had a little over a month or 2 ago. 

Thanks, people for telling me to report my phone and then unreport it. it got my phone blacklisted. I know its blacklisted because I checked it on devicecheck.ca and it says it's blacklisted... 

Your assumption is incorrect. Using the self-serve functions to report your phone Lost / Stolen doesn't blacklist your phone.

Perhaps previous cell phone owner had something to do with the blacklisting of your phone.

PubMobSux12

so I found out my phone was blacklisted I assume it was due to when I took the advice to report my phone lost/stolen to fix the issue I had a little over a month or 2 ago. 

PubMobSux12

the issue was fixed. but now as of 3-4 days ago, my phone says that my sim card is "Unregistered SIM"

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

This almost sounds like a partial port. Is that possible if this was the first time the OP has used the caĺling feature?

@darlicious no, it doesn't.  Porting has nothing to do with outbound calls.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

This almost sounds like a partial port. Is that possible if this was the first time the OP has used the caĺling feature?

Need Help? Let's chat.