cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am set up for AutoPay with credit card - why is this not processed as a recurring payment?

clarecwi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have 4% cash back on recurring payments with my credit card. Unfortunately, Public Mobile is not categorizing the charge as a "recurring payment" when it sends the request to VISA so I'm not getting the cash back. Is there a way to fix this?

6 REPLIES 6

JakeQuenten
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh of course. That makes sense. Thank you

HI @JakeQuenten 

no, PM is a prepaid provider and it is not counted as recurring bill on the credit card side

JakeQuenten
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It wouldn’t  count as a ‘subscription’ either with a 4% cash back on ‘subscriptions’ even though it says we are subscribed m

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi there,

Recurring payments on credit cards can only be processed for a specific amount every month on a specific day, such as $25 every 1st of the month (just an example).  Fees on Public Mobile are set for 30 day increments, (not monthly) and the amounts could vary depending on credits in your account.  So by setting up autopay, your credit card will be charged the amount outstanding on your bill, less any credits you have into account.  This amount can be different on each billing cycle, therefore it's not really a recurring payment.  

I hope this helps, 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @clarecwi 

The reason it's not a "recurring" payment is the service is essentially re-establishing itself on a pre-paid basis BEFORE it is used.

I believe for the purposes of recurring payments, the credit card payments tend to refer to post-paid services or charges that are billed beforehand and have a future due date.

With Public Mobile, as a pre-paid service, you don't have a payment 'due date' as is the case with the majority of bills people pay through credit card, but rather an expiry date, after which if you don't renew the plan, it expires.

Hope that explanation helps somewhat.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@clarecwi wrote:

I have 4% cash back on recurring payments with my credit card. Unfortunately, Public Mobile is not categorizing the charge as a "recurring payment" when it sends the request to VISA so I'm not getting the cash back. Is there a way to fix this?

Not from our side. Only the company would do that. And I don't think it's the right kind of merchant. I think it's due to being a 30 day payment and not monthly.

Need Help? Let's chat.