cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop the text messages reminding to make a payment or that a payment has been made

rwarren777
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Something weird:

1) I am signed up for autopay but I got a text message reminding me to make a payment. So I checked and sure enough autopay is active on my account so I don't know why I got a reminder to make a payment. There was no option in the reminder to STOP receiving the messages; I know some services have a "reply with the word STOP" to opt out but there was nothing like that.

2) After my payment went through I got yet another text message telling me that my payment went through. Again there was no option to opt out.

3) I replied to the text indicting that I don't need the reminders and I got a bot reply telling me to dial 611 for assistance. So I dialled 611. A computer gave me 5 options, none of which applied to my concern (there was the option to make a payment, stop autopay, etc) but there was no 'press zero for other options'. It repeated the options 3 times in total and then the bot told me that if I did not pick one the call would end. Very polite. hahaha.

4) I went into my account settings and unless I missed it I could not find the typical communication preferences section that everyone has these days; I could not find any place to opt out of payment notifications.

This is really weird.

So...

Q1) Anybody know why I'm getting reminders to make a payment when I'm on autopayment?

Q2) Anybody know how to turn off / opt out of these text reminders?

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

rwarren777

I couldn't agree more. Hopefully as more and more people request this they will put it in the user account settings. It's really not even a basic request; I would say it is pre-basic hahaha in the sense that such options are standard service that have been offered by virtually every company since the 90s. I was shocked to discover that it wasn't even an option in the user account settings. But at least it can be done by submitting a service ticket and I'm sure that the Public Mobile management team wants their offering to at least have expected options that are not only requested but in really just show basic respect to the customer. We'll see what the future brings. In the meantime I'm going to check out from this conversation until my next billing cycle and then post an update if required - If they still the notifications after informing me that I won't get them any more then of course I'll post the update here. Later.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rwarren777 

This is great info - thanks for letting us know there are options to do this.  In some ways, it would be great to have this as a feature to disable/enable ourselves in the portal, but am guessing it's probably a good thing for most people especially since Public Mobile renews every 30 days instead of monthly that makes it harder to understand when their plan will be reset.

rwarren777

Update for all following this thread: The CSR just got back to me and said that he has removed the notifications for me. It appears the issue may be solved but I won't know for sure until the next billing cycle. According to the CSR I will not get any more notifications by text as reminders for upcoming payments, payments made, or rewards. If required I'll post an update here after the next billing cycle. Best to you all.

@rwarren777 

Would you rather "endure" the inconvenience of a couple text messages a month or run the risk of the seeing service lapse because of a payment failure and inconveniences that ensue?

First world problem to me, to be honest.

@rwarren777 wrote:

I agree. Yesterday I put in a service ticket to stop the reminders and the CSR told me they would be stopped at the next cycle. Today I got a different type of text, to do with the rewards so I have followed up with the CSR to stop those as well.

Sadly, I believe that you're still going to continue to recieved these message.  I also believe that the CSA only removed marketing contact permissions, but Public Mobile considers these reminder text messages to be important service related messages.

rwarren777

I agree. Yesterday I put in a service ticket to stop the reminders and the CSR told me they would be stopped at the next cycle. Today I got a different type of text, to do with the rewards so I have followed up with the CSR to stop those as well.

@softech wrote:

honestly don't think opting out of receiving these text is a good choice even it is doable.

I can understand this customer's point of view. I too would rather have Public Mobile never send me text messages.  To date, I not received a single text message that I've considered to be of any importance.  I do understand the payment reminder, but I see zero reason for Public Mobile to send an "everything is ok" message after renewal, nor do I need a seperate message about rewards.  

@rwarren777 wrote:

Thank-you

@rwarren777 

NOTE: Autopay CAN sometimes fail.

These messages are for customers OWN benefits. I get they can be annoying and come at all times of night.

Can you silence this particular 611 sender on your device?

Isn't it better to be communicated with, than not at all? 

honestly don't think opting out of receiving these text is a good choice even it is doable.

While Autopay would work most the time, there are some odd times that the payment was rejected.  If you missed the text, no action taken and you will loss you service until amount is paid in full.

I was with Rogers postpaid before.  I didn't check my email when they tell me my credit card was expired and no payment was made.  I missed it for 2 full months and I paid $50 interest (my service per month was only $25 or $30)

So, like any safety measure, these reminders are annoying .. but on the day you need them, you will be glad they are here.

rwarren777

Thank-you

@rwarren777 wrote:

In regards to my most recent question, am I assuming you don't know how to get a request through to the team to build in the option?

If not, any other users on this forum aware of how I can contact Public Mobile management to request they build an option for use to control communication preferences?

Oh, I am sure @Anonymous (being one of the PM Gurus) would know how to contact 'team to build that option' if there was a way, but there is No way. You can get in touch with PM sending private message to employee mentioned above and your request will be added to a long list of existing 'nice to have' features.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rwarren777 wrote:

In regards to my most recent question, am I assuming you don't know how to get a request through to the team to build in the option?

If not, any other users on this forum aware of how I can contact Public Mobile management to request they build an option for use to control communication preferences?

@rwarren777 

you can try to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to 
they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,and Submit a Ticket,

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

You cannot stop SMS from 611 (PM). They will come twice a month - before payment and after your plan has been renewed.

Everybody gets them no matter how their account has been setup (autopay, a lot of $ on account, etc.).

You can contact CSA requesting your request to add feature NOT to receive notifications from PM by SMS to be passed to management but I would not hold my breath they will listen to you.

Why are these tiny SMS bothersome to you? You can make them silent...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rwarren777 : This is one of many long-standing topics that have had very little action from the company. They would be well aware of how some people might feel about them. As we've learned over time though....things move at a snail's pace around here.

@J_PM if you like.

rwarren777

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rwarren777 : A1: We all do. The message also says to ignore it if you're on autopay or have otherwise made a payment.

A2: There isn't a way from this end. You can make a contact of 611 and then control your reception of it via the contact like you would callers etc.

I frankly do not understand how these reminders and updates are so harmful to get. But, to each their own.

rwarren777

That is not good. Are you aware of how I can get a service request through to the team enable an opt out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rwarren777 

you can't stop SMS the coming from 611 and that system by public mobile,they are very important,

read it and delete...

Need Help? Let's chat.