cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the credit my bill when changing a phone plan mid cycle.

Somkhith
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can someone explain to me how billing works when I already paid in advance for a 3 month term of 81$ through my old cell plan thru PM on Nov 12th, so it's good til Feb.  Its Nov.29th and I decided to change it to a monthly 25$ plan.  They ended up charging my 23$ and it stated next billing cycle in December 29th.  Can you tell me how they prorate me?  I'm worried about them overcharging me and don't understand why they took the 25$ on my credit card since I already paid til February.  I really appreciate someone's help here.  Thanks.!!

9 REPLIES 9

@wetcoaster wrote:

@will13am wrote:@

I make personal judgments when suggesting to seek goodwill from the moderator team.  I don't think there is an absolute right or a wrong answer when making a judgment.  This appears to be a potential honest mistake.  Feel free to coach me if I missed something obvious. 

@will13am

It's the other way around: since my judgement / erring on the customer's genuine mistake side was frowned upon the last time I'd be happy to get some oracle guidance to give correct advice.

Don't put me on the spot to be the authority of correctness.  For this situation, I side with the customer as some may not be familiar with how prepaid works.  In a postpaid situation, there is no loss of credit.  So, it is "fair" to give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

I recall the previous time where there was great debate was on the "spurious texting" consuming a lot of the 50 text allotment in the limited use plan.  For that I am not siding with  the customer as it is their device that caused the consumption and they should be fully responsible for its functionality.  How is spurious text consumption any different than leaving sync functions on and consuming data?  This is about familarity with your phone vs familiarity with types of cellular service in the above example.  Own phone, our responsibility. 

@will13am wrote:@

I make personal judgments when suggesting to seek goodwill from the moderator team.  I don't think there is an absolute right or a wrong answer when making a judgment.  This appears to be a potential honest mistake.  Feel free to coach me if I missed something obvious. 

@will13am

It's the other way around: since my judgement / erring on the customer's genuine mistake side was frowned upon the last time I'd be happy to get some oracle guidance to give correct advice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that if somebody plows through all that and does an immediate plan change without reading (who reads anything anymore...kinda like this missive 🙂 ) and immediately goes "ahhhh!! that's not what I expected or wanted!". Then immediately pm the mods begging for correction is somewhat reasonable. Somewhat.

But if they do that and later realize what they've done and think about it and then a couple few days in they try to ask for a correction then I say tough noogies.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Somkhith wrote:

Can someone explain to me how billing works when I already paid in advance for a 3 month term of 81$ through my old cell plan thru PM on Nov 12th, so it's good til Feb.  Its Nov.29th and I decided to change it to a monthly 25$ plan.  They ended up charging my 23$ and it stated next billing cycle in December 29th.  Can you tell me how they prorate me?  I'm worried about them overcharging me and don't understand why they took the 25$ on my credit card since I already paid til February.  I really appreciate someone's help here.  Thanks.!!

As mentioned above it looks like you have done an immediate plan change to the 30 day version of your plan and have forfeited the rest of the 90 day plan. There are no refunds or prorated credits for that unused portion of the original plan.

Future dated plan change would have been the way to go so that the new duration and price kick in at the next renewal.

@will13am

I while back I was told off for making that suggestion... Glad to hear that it is not  considered an offense / waste of mod time more.

With all the warning prompts displayed before agreeing to the immediate change, the original subscriber should use this as a learning tool.

Research.  Stop suggesting forgiveness when it's a user created issue.  Moderators are too busy to deal with this repeated ill-informed error.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Somkhith wrote:

As mentioned above it looks like you have done an immediate plan change to the 30 day version of your plan and have forfeited the rest of the 90 day plan. There are no refunds or prorated credits for that unused portion of the original plan.

Future dated plan change would have been the way to go so that the new duration and price kick in at the next renewal.

@will13am

I while back I was told off for making that suggestion... Glad to hear that it is not  considered an offense / waste of mod time more.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Somkhith, if your intention is to future date the plan change so you do not forfeit any paid usage, you can message the moderator team and explain the early renewal done in error and they can assist with fixing it.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code along with a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Somkhith

Its a prepaid service...so once you pay for a plan, its paid for, if you change plans mid cycle, you lose the other plan including the money payed for it..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Somkhith, Dod you do an immediate plan change or a deferred plan change (at next renewal).  If you did an immediate plan change, then you forfeit whatever was left on the previous term.  There is no prorating and generally no refunds for unused plan days.

If your next renewal now shows Dec 29, I would guess that you did an immediate plan change.

Need Help? Let's chat.