cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a suggestion: Idling Plan and A/C Option while on Extended Leave of Absence

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

When People go on an "Extended Vacation" and wish to Idle Account, as it is, IF you switch OFF Autopay, and still have Funds in Self-Serve, Money will be deducted from Self-Serve UNLESS you click the Lost/ Stolen Icon

I think Public needs to perhaps have an Option where IF people wish to idle plan, as Lost/ Stolen is really meant for the Purpose that's stated

Idleing Option woul be MORE Appropriate

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bridonca wrote:

Public Mobile already have an $8 monthly plan, $1 less per year, up to 5 years, and the new plans tend to be better than the old plans, so I cannot see this coming to be anytime soon.

@bridonca bingo, there's your extended absence plan: switch to the $10 plan and leave AutoPay on to get it to a max of $8 (minus any other rewards such as loyalty and referral rewards, if you have any).  $8 per month to hold your account and phone number.  The only downside is that (unless you want to stay on the $10/50/50 plan when you return) you have to pick a new plan from whatever is avaialable in-market, so if you had a good plan that's no longer offered, you would lose it in the process; however, I'm pretty sure that's how it works at the 1st and 2nd tier providers as well--you have to pick from an in-market plan when you switch off of vacation mode.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile already have an $8 monthly plan, $1 less per year, up to 5 years, and the new plans tend to be better than the old plans, so I cannot see this coming to be anytime soon.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In Telus parlance, this is called vacation disconnect.  In one use case, from experience here in Alberta (energy sector), many M2M plans are not needed from spring until fall when the oilfield activity declines, so subscriptions/lines get put onto vacation disconnect.  Upon resumption, the old plan is re-instated.  Not sure what the vacation disconnect monthly cost is (probably around $5/mo per line)... it maintains the number, rate plan, features, etc.

There's definitely some merit to such a feature, and I don't imagine it would be hard to implement.  But then, you never quite know what the "plumbing" looks like behind the walls around here...

The key would probably be having the option for whatever the price is, but while allowing the customers to go back to old plan. 

Right now, at the $10 for 30 days price point, someone can already achieve this but only on the condition that the customer understands that he or she has to choose from the currently offered plans (if more minutes/texts/data is required) when returning from vacation.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 wrote:

Here's a suggestion I think PM should perhaps explore

@makkahn28A suggestion to you- make your topic titles relevant. A topic that says "Here is a suggestion" is no help. The title should sum up the entire topic in 1 sentence. Something to do with "vacation plan mode suggestion", "putting plan on hold", "seasonal plan hold", "travel plan suspension" or anything that explains what you are going to be talking about.

Use a meaningful title for your threads please.

But I do agree, this would be a nice addition for public mobile to add. Maybe at half the price, I dont know. Rewards would need to be considered too. You may be building loyalty at the same time, can you still earn community? Do you get a auto-pay discount for your reduced plan? Is it even considered a plan?

Koodo offeres a special plan for this but when you return you may not be able to get on your old plan and its $15 a month, public is cheaper with autopay on the $10 plan at only $8 per month. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keeping-your-account-open-when-travelling

@computergeek541, that's a VERY good question.

I think it's Possible for a Carrier to offer an Idling ability, keep the Current Plan one has on Ice

and Fees for such still within a REASONABLE price point.

Also, IF people put the A/C on Lost/ Stolen while on Vacation, they MAY forget that the Meter is still in a way ticking and that IF Plan was NOT topped in Timely manner, well, like how in Wheel of Fortune IF you spin wheel and lands on Bankrupt, All is Lost

Trying to find something in between is Perhaps Key

Compromises and meeting somewhere in the Middle may serve Prime example

IF PM had an Idling Option and fee was, Example $10 per 30 Days, OR $30 per 90 Days

Because the ONLY option, Pay, turn OFF AutoPay, Switch on Lost/ Stolen, wait for a few Months then Turn off Lost/ Stolen, Top A/C and then turn Back On Lost/ Stolen if ON Extended Vacation would be Obtuse.

Public could always try something new, and who knows, something can work and stick in people's mind in what is VERY Effective.

Surely you must at least admit that there MUST be a MORE effective way, than the Lost/ Stolen Thing, as the Lost/ Stolen icon was Meant for what it is, and Not as an Off/On switch for Extended Vacation

That Lost/ Stolen thing would be Nothing Personal, Just Laughable

Here's a example, I hope you understand the Logic

You had a Promo Plan and it had Unlim Can-Wide, Global Txt and 18 GB Data for let's say, $125 per 90 Day

You were going on Vacation and was going to be gone Beyond the 120 Day

I'm sure U would prefer to Keep your Current Plan and such, and wished a Reasonable meathod was in place

IF PM had an Idling Option where you can put Plan in Hibernation, NOT Terminated, BUT just Sleeping UNTIL you return, and ALL it costed was $30 per 90 Days, Butter than Turn off Autopay, then remove CC, then switch on Lost/ Stolen, then wait Unitil Plan is in Suspension, then wait UNTIL Close to the 90 Day before Topping

OR

Having someone to do it for you, and they forgot to, and then it becomes VERY Tense.

Something that makes things easier and MORE simple than what is currently in place is better in my opinion

@makkahn28 wrote:

When People go on an "Extended Vacation" and wish to Idle Account, as it is, IF you switch OFF Autopay, and still have Funds in Self-Serve, Money will be deducted from Self-Serve UNLESS you click the Lost/ Stolen Icon

I think Public needs to perhaps have an Option where IF people wish to idle plan, as Lost/ Stolen is really meant for the Purpose that's stated

Idleing Option woul be MORE Appropriate

But, what do you suggest Public Mobile charge for this feature?  I know that people who know they won't be needing their phones can deliberately fail to pay for a plan and let the acount go suspeneded for 90 days, but I do not believe that this was ever meant as a way for someone to keep a phone number while minimizing costs.

In the past, sme carriers have offered some type of low priced vacation plans that included no usage for a price of about $7/month, but ths was offered as a plan change.  When you change a plan, you can't always get your old plan back later.

Need Help? Let's chat.