cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, I wanted to change my plan, but got double charged

radiohamster
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I got the black friday deal today with the $30 plan, but I wanted to change it in store to the $25 plan on second thought. The employee at the store told me I have to do it online and he can't do it in store, and that I will keep the black friday deal too. So I tried it, but then it said it costs more than my available fund and that I need to add more balance. There was no other way to do it, so I just went ahead and did it. But then I noticed I wasn't refuned for the $30, and I was just charged $25 immediately. I literally got the plan today and tried to change it and this happened (no data spent). Can I get the $30 refunded? 

Also one question, it says refer-a-friend reward ($1) on my overview page, but I don't see it in my fund. I got this because I did it together with my mother. Is this only applied the next month even though I referred right after I started my plan?

11 REPLIES 11

radiohamster

@wetcoaster wrote:

@radiohamster wrote:

@wetcoaster

Yes, I would agree with it generally, but I'm a new customer who registered on the same day I tried to change my plan. The in-store employee told me I had to do it online when I told him I changed my mind and I'd like to change my plan. Not sure if I was lied to by the employee, but not being able to change plan on the same day without using any of the plan is ridiculous and there should be exceptions

@radiohamster

Don't shoot the messenger. Technically that is how prepaid plans work, and they do it because they get away with it under the current regulations. If you want full flexibility to change your plan whenever you want/need to you have to go post paid and pay the according prices.

And just for the record, that employee is a sales person who works for the company that runs that mobile booth. While they might or might not get a tiny commission for signing you up for Public Mobile, they are not Public Mobile employees.

In your case, since you were downgrading, I'd have just future dated the plan change for the next renewal and enjoyed the little bit of data and Canada-wide calling for $5 until then.

I know that, once contacted by private message, the moderators are really good and understanding with stuff like this, and have been known in the past to do credits as a goodwill gesture.

My concern is that there was a promise made by a fellow customer, essentially saying that the moderators have to give you a credit / refund, when they don't have an obligation to do so (even if it does make sense from the customer satisfaction perspective). The statement I took offense with is misleading because it is not that customer that can make that decision.

Fair enough, I'm glad to know that the public mobile mods are understanding with regards to situations like this. I was kind of upset that I was misled by the store employee (of course, not public mobile employee) to perform this plan change myself online and had this happen. If I knew I would get into this trouble, I would've just kept the $30 plan and change it next month like you said.

About the other customer's comment, I didn't really take it as 100% guarantee, as I know he's not a public mobile employee, but I guess wording is important.

@radiohamster wrote:

@wetcoaster

Yes, I would agree with it generally, but I'm a new customer who registered on the same day I tried to change my plan. The in-store employee told me I had to do it online when I told him I changed my mind and I'd like to change my plan. Not sure if I was lied to by the employee, but not being able to change plan on the same day without using any of the plan is ridiculous and there should be exceptions

@radiohamster

Don't shoot the messenger. Technically that is how prepaid plans work, and they do it because they get away with it under the current regulations. If you want full flexibility to change your plan whenever you want/need to you have to go post paid and pay the according prices.

And just for the record, that employee is a sales person who works for the company that runs that mobile booth. While they might or might not get a tiny commission for signing you up for Public Mobile, they are not Public Mobile employees.

In your case, since you were downgrading, I'd have just future dated the plan change for the next renewal and enjoyed the little bit of data and Canada-wide calling for $5 until then.

I know that, once contacted by private message, the moderators are really good and understanding with stuff like this, and have been known in the past to do credits as a goodwill gesture.

My concern is that there was a promise made by a fellow customer, essentially saying that the moderators have to give you a credit / refund, when they don't have an obligation to do so (even if it does make sense from the customer satisfaction perspective). The statement I took offense with is misleading because it is not that customer that can make that decision.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@radiohamster the issue @wetcoaster had was when it was said you were owed a credit .  Mods are pretty good with offering goodwill on these instsnces but it is not guaranteed.

radiohamster

@wetcoaster

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo

My take was ..a brand new customer..registered instore..then went home to try and change the plan ..anyways..wont hurt to try

mimmo

@radiohamster in future you have the option to futuredate plan changes rather than an  immideate plan change 

@Carld123 wrote:

Sent a message to the moderaters..explain what happened..include all your account info in the message..they will credit what you are owed..as for the referral credit.will be used on your next actual billing period

Just a clarification: There is no obligation for the moderators to give someone a credit if the person has chosen an immediate plan change - immediate plan changes always forfeit the remainder of the previous plan. Credits / changes-at-no-cost in the first couple of days are a goodwill gesture, IMHO we should not make that promise as paying customers/community members.

Like @mimmo I'm a bit confused about the actual timeline in the original post.

Carld123

Yes...if you change a plan before the expiry date you lose that plan and credit...so if you explain im sure they will help..

radiohamster

I got the plan in-store, as the website stated the black friday deal is in-store only. I got the $30 plan initially, but wanted to change it to the $25 plan. Talked to the store employee, but he said I gotta do it online for some reason. So what I did online was add fund and change my plan. My plan was changed, but I wasn't refunded for the $30 plan that I paid for on the same day.

You're right, I'm new to the community and this seems more like an issue I need to address to the moderators. I'll go ahead and send them a message, thanks.

Carld123

Sent a message to the moderaters..explain what happened..include all your account info in the message..they will credit what you are owed..as for the referral credit.will be used on your next actual billing period

mimmo

I am a lite confused on exactly what happened.

If your orriginal activation was done online then you should get the 25$ + $25 promo.

Any changes done to plans will fotefit the orriginal plan.

Best option is to private message mods and ask for some goodwill as a credit to the account.  

It might make thing less confusing if you make some bullet points on what exactly happened

Ie  Nov 22 activated online with plan x

Nov 24 changed plan to plan your

Etc

Need Help? Let's chat.