cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Extended Absence

If you change your plan to a reduced rate (texting/talk only) you're essentially relinquishing your existing plan, are you not?

After you decide to reactivate your original plan it will no longer be there to select. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wrote:

If you change your plan to a reduced rate (texting/talk only) you're essentially relinquishing your existing plan, are you not?

After you decide to reactivate your original plan it will no longer be there to select. 

You can always "reduce" (change) your plan to something which costs less, unless it's already at the minimum possible plan structure.

And you can always change your plan "back".  As long as it's still being offered.

But if your "old" plan options (or prices) have been discontinued then poof.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That's what I figured. Most people on a no-longer-offered plan would have to put their account in delinquency to benefit from the account hold then.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would suggest pm consider permitting an account suspension of 6 months, as this is the period retired Canadians, collecting a pension, spend outside the country, by law.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There is one catch to all of this that people need to know. If you have sufficient credit in the account to cover your selected plan, PM will automatically renew the plan for another period according to your set-up (30 or 90 days), EVEN IF you have auto-pay turned off.

If this is your situation, you HAVE TO contact a moderator to place your account on hold so your funds are not used up. Then you will need to contact a moderator again when you ready to reactivate your account.

Mayor / Maire

@mmcgreal wrote:

I would suggest pm consider permitting an account suspension of 6 months, as this is the period retired Canadians, collecting a pension, spend outside the country, by law.

You are legally required to leave the country for 6 months if you are collecting a pension in Canada??? Learn something new every day...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself...)

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For more up-to-date info on this topic, I suggest you read this post:

When and How to Suspend or Place an account on Hold (Extended absence, etc)

Mayor / Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mmcgreal wrote:

You are legally required to leave the country for 6 months if you are collecting a pension in Canada??? Learn something new every day...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself...)

Lol, pretty funny indeed. 

I think the OP wanted to say "... as this is the maximum period retired Canadians, collecting a pension, can spend outside the country per year in order to keep receiving their pension", or something along this Smiley Wink

JFF

Good to know. Thanks

I was not clear: there is no legal requirement to return to Canada when collecting a pension in a foreign nation. Rather, people return to maintain their medicare coverage. The legal requirement is 6 months residency in Canada to maintain medicare coverage, as I understand it.