cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double and triple payments!

PublicBT
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

This is prepaid GSM service.. have bought my phone sim and did Top Up at the beginning.

Havent used my minutes and still have my amount. Why Do I Have to Pay Every Month?!

My understanding this is Prepaid. meaning when I run out of minutes , I top up as I need.

If I decided to keep my line without any minutes/money for sometime it is up to me. But it is not a must for me to pay monthy?!!!

Please explain why Why Do I Have to Pay Every Month ?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

sc9999999

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, Textnow is better than Fongo because it can also send texts for free, but my mom is fine with Fongo.  With the $15 plan, she has unlimited texts.  I thought I'd share the experience with Speakout to help people here make better decisions.  No hearsay, real experience.  Hope the info will be of use to someone out there.   

@sc9999999 thanks for sharing, sound like a service that might sound cheap but end up being more expensive. You could also get your mom a phone with wifi and add textnow to her phone. She can call out and text anytime as long as she has wifi. 

sc9999999

I'll share my experience with Speakout. I put my mom on Speakout, as the intention was to minimize the bill, given that she uses limited amount of data or voice calls. She hardly accepts incoming calls calls, and uses Fongo to call out.  All has been fine for a few years now until recently.  Somehow the account balance just whittled down so fast starting in 2020. 

She never had any problem with usage in the past.  I can only suspect that calls which go to voicemail, all incoming texts, get charged.  I am quite sure this was not the case in the past based on the monthly $ usage in the past.  We checked all the call records, but we just cannot add things up properly.  Basically, there are too few calls and texts for her to use up almost $40 within 30 days.  I just transferred her over to PM, so she will have some data, unlimited incoming calls, as well as unlimited texts.

If the number is used only for emergencies and left off all the time, then Speakout should be really cheap.  Otherwise, it's just a pain to keep track of the usage and spot the accounting problems.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@PublicBT wrote:

Hello,

This is prepaid GSM service.. have bought my phone sim and did Top Up at the beginning.

Havent used my minutes and still have my amount. Why Do I Have to Pay Every Month?!

My understanding this is Prepaid. meaning when I run out of minutes , I top up as I need.

If I decided to keep my line without any minutes/money for sometime it is up to me. But it is not a must for me to pay monthy?!!!

Thanks

This model is prepaid but not prepaid in a way that you think. They have plans that you need to pay before use, but if you do not use up the plan then it will renew the next months' and restart the plan. It is a kind of hybrid between pay as you go plan. Where a pay as you go plan, you would need to pay a certain amount per minute per call; Public has plans that you either have call time or you don't, and when you run out, you need to add on or upgrade your plan. 

Now, Add on's are similar to pay as you go since they roll over month after month until they are used up. But they are a bit more expensive than using, for example, data on a standard built plan. Hopefully, this has provided some clarification. 

Cheers.

PublicBT

Thanks for the clarification indeed it seems I got mixed up for some reason.

PublicBT

Thanks for the clarification 👍

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You got it mixed up with Pay As You Go like 7-11 speakout. I was with Speakout before and just paid the minimum 15$ which has an expiry of 1yr.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PublicBT wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

PM prepaid plans are 30 days cycle - not monthly.

You may consider Speakout if you like pay-per-use.  SO has a fixed charge of $1.25/m.  It will cost you $15 per year even if you did not use any minutes.  SO charge 30 cents per minutes.

If you use more than 40 minutes per month, PM $13 with autopay may be cheaper with more minutes.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@PublicBT  it's a monthly prepaid service. That protects you from overages. All of the major providers and their subsidiaries have gone this route. You may still find pay as you go services, what you are describing with the 7 eleven speak out plan. See link here https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/deal?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DubdXpoKnYlftF4RJdNZdhV0oFGmuFuCr...

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PublicBT hi where did you read that this is pay as you go???

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

It's not pay as you go

You should look into speak out wireless or PC mobile

This is actually cheaper if you use 20 minutes or more per month as pay as you go charge 911 fees more than $1 and minute is more than 25 cents, sms is about that too

You can also check if anybody is seeking their $10 plan, which ends up being less than 8 with autopay and loyalty

Need Help? Let's chat.