cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does autopay renew as soon as it's checked again?

Jernikfra
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm leaving Canada January 14th and returning April 12th.

My auto pay renews January 12th. 

I assume the best plan is to uncheck auto pay Jan 14th.

Then I won't be billed the middle of February or March while I'm gone.

My question is, if I check auto pay on April 12th when I return will it then bill me and re-activate my service right then, or does it only do it on the historic renewal date which would be 29 days after that!

The January 12th renewal will cover me until Febraury 11th.

On February 11th it won't auto pay.

Does it then keep trying every day until it succeeds or does it just try every 30 days?

So would it try again on March 12th?

And then April 11th?

And then May 10th?

If so it would make sense for me to re-check auto pay on april 10th when I'm abroad so that way when I land april 12th I have service right away.

Any advice would help.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

@JonSeltzer wrote:

Did you text Simon, the moderator

What did he suggest

Simon isn't a moderator. You do use that chat program to begin the discussion with a moderator though. It's important to note that the responses in that chat window are not typed in or chosen by a person, but rather by an automated computer.

JonSeltzer

Did you text Simon, the moderator

What did he suggest

@Jernikfra wrote:

Someone says I should change my plan to the $15 one just before I leave to save $10.

Someone else says I shouldn't because it might cause a problem.

What should I do?

@Jernikfra 
There is another issue you may run into. People have had issues trying to change their plan and reactivate their service at the same time. So you may end up reactivating with the $15 plan instead of the $25 plan.

@Jernikfra wrote:

Yes I assumed that was the only reason not to do it, but haven't they had that plane for a long time? Don't plans usually get cheaper or more data for the same price not the other way?

It usually is a case, usually. Some plans never made it back.

Nobody here can promiss it will be here but most of people do believe so including me. And you are right you may get something even better, but also maybe slightly worse that you'll have to settle with. (eg, after25 disappeared once it came back with 30 price tag, some people were upset as they had to keep above 30 to keep promotion for 6 months and in the month 4 it was gone, but lucky for many it came back again in 2 months.) You may find yourself with 1g for 30 or 1g for 20. And it may them change again. Life is a box of chocolates

Jernikfra

Yes, I assumed that was the only reason not to do it, but haven't they had that plan for a long time? Don't plans usually get cheaper or get more data for the same price not the other way?

@Jernikfra wrote:

Someone says I should change my plan to the $15 one just before I leave to save $10.

What should I do?

The idea behind switching from the $25 to $15 plan would be lower the cost of your next renewal. If the $25 plan is no longer available when you decide to bring your account out of suspension, you won't be able to get it back. 

Jernikfra

What should I do?

@Jernikfra wrote:

Wouldn't the 90 days start from February 11th when the first reneweal fails? 90 days would be about May 11th. I'm renewing January 12th for 30 days even though I'm leaving 2 days later on the 14th. I'm really just without service for 62 days, so I'm not even close to being at the 90 day limit.

Yes, the clock starts when your account goes into suspensiion.

@Jernikfra wrote:

Wouldn't the 90 days start from February 11th when the first reneweal fails? 90 days would be about May 11th. I'm renewing January 12th for 30 days even though I'm leaving 2 days later on the 14th. I'm really just without service for 62 days, so I'm not even close to being at the 90 day limit.

You're correct! My mistake thinking it was 90 days.

@Dunkman wrote:

@Jernikfra 

When you miss a payment (ie. remove autopay), your account will be suspended.  You have 90 days to re-activate your account.  

You will need to "reactivate" your account when you decide to re-start your plan.  Need to put re-enter your credit card information and then re-activate your plan afterwards.  

Autopay can be disabled without needing to remove the credit card that is on file.  Yes, assuming that the account is in suspsension, payment needs to be made manually.

Jernikfra

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Jernikfra 

When you miss a payment (ie. remove autopay), your account will be suspended.  You have 90 days to re-activate your account.  

You will need to "reactivate" your account when you decide to re-start your plan.  Need to put re-enter your credit card information and then re-activate your plan afterwards.  

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Jernikfra  It looks like you already have it well planned.

My questions/suggestions:

What is the amount in your available funds? If it's zero, you're good to go. If you have sufficient funds to cover a renewal, then the funds will be used to automatically renew your plan even if AutoPay is turned off.

Check your account around February 12th to confirm your account status and take note of the "You have until ..." date to reactivate your account (it should be 90 days).

Don't bother switching plans. You may run into unexpected complications.

Also the plan you want might no longer be offered...

I would login again a week before the 90 days are up (around April 2) to renew your plan and reactivate AutoPay. Give yourself 7 days buffer in case you run into any problems and need to get Moderator help to reactivate.

When you're ready to resume service, logon your account. There should be a button to reactivate your plan. Click on it to make a manual payment.

Resume your AutoPay. The $2 credit will start applying again for your next renewal.

Have a great trip!

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you renew your plan on the 14th then turn it off you'll be fine if you renew it on April 10th. What you wrote will work just remember to re-enable autopay when you get back going over 90 days without a plan closes your account. Also switch to a cheaper plan when you renew for January.

Need Help? Let's chat.