cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Anybody Else Wish That PM Renewals Were On the Same Day Each Month?

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Right now, PM renewals are every 30 days. Because only five months of the year have 30 days, the renewal day keeps changing over the course of the year.  For example, a plan started on July 1 would renew on July 31, on August 30, September 29, etc.

I would much prefer that the renewal be on the same day of each month to make it easier to keep track of payments, especially when I am managing more than one PM account for family members.  Most other businesses bill on the same day, including credit card companies, Telus etc.

Anybody else agree?

12 REPLIES 12

@funpig wrote:

The other annoyance is that I have to reset the Data Usage on my android phone each month to keep track of how much mobile data I use.

I agree that can be annoying, but it's minor. It's just an extra step to take and you need to realise that usage shown may be slightly off.  It takes just a minute to log into the Public Mobile website, not that much longer than it probably takes to get into the phone's menus to look at the used data amount. Some use a program called Data Witness to help keep track of data use over 30 days.

funpig

The other annoyance is that I have to reset the Data Usage on my android phone each month to keep track of how much mobile data I use.

terrybev
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree, it just makes it easier knowing the exact day your payment comes out. It's ok if you are on auto pay, but it sucks if you couldn't do it, always trying to remember the date

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

then using a reminder to force yourself to top up again each month on the same day.  This allows for AutoPay to run normally, but you'll have a buffer to allow you to pay every month on the same date.

in 5 years, you will need to double pay again once to reset the cycle.

@stonechucker yes, this is what I do as well.  I have a recurring reminder every 30 days and it's timed to go off a few days before my payment due date.  I make a manual payment then to give myself time should there be an issue, and I leave AutoPay left on as a back up and for the $2 reward credit.

As far as the idea of PM shifting to calendar-monthly rather than 30 day cycles, while I understand it would be easier to understand, I like it the way it is.  It's one of the few remaining quirks that makes PM unique in the marketplace.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If you must have a same date payment each month, the best I can suggest is pay double for your next renewal, and then using a reminder to force yourself to top up again each month on the same day.  This allows for AutoPay to run normally, but you'll have a buffer to allow you to pay every month on the same date.

in 5 years, you will need to double pay again once to reset the cycle.

Being shortchanged 5-6 days each year is only a nuisance thing, if you do the math it works out to an extra "month" of phone bills every 5 years (give or take some fractions). The principle of the thing is a little more bothersome, knowing that it costs just that little bit more at PM than it costs at competitors. Althoug 5 years of Loyalty Rewards (a total of $180 to $300) easily offsets this added bill.

I've commented before about fixed 30-day billing being inconsistent legacy stuff which PM should discard (now that 90-day billing isn't even an option outside of some grandfathered Plans). It's sometimes annoying to allocate funds on out-of-sync calendars, even with PM's SMS reminders. But I agree with above posts: there are a lot of highrr-priority things which need fixing. 

funpig

I am on auto-pay, for my account and my Dad's account.

However, given that PM renewals have a history of being unreliable with its renewal, it would be nice to have a consistent day of the month to easily check if service was properly renewed, especially for my old Dad.  There is always a 2 or 3 day window each month when I have my doubts as to whether my service or my Dad's service is going to be suspended and I can't remember which day is the renewal date to check the accounts.

Also, my credit card statement due date is the same each month and I seek reimbursement for my cell expense from my company each month.  The changing PM renewal dates just make it a hassle.

I don't care about being shortchanged 5 days service over the course of the year.

@funpig 

I'm not sure that you'll find anyone who disagrees with you.  However, many would also not find it important enough of an issue to push for.  I do agree that the 30 day plans are confusing vs one month plans.  It's not really about feeling short-changed over the course of a year, but rather needing to remember when payment is due.  Autopay does take care of that nicely.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have 3 accounts on autopay and add 2 more accounts tomorrow.

If you don't trust the autopay, just add fund to your account(s) after your pay day.

It is a low priority item for me. 

I would like PM to fix the reset password bug ASAP.  This fix will cut down moderator work load and it is ridiculous that it takes 2 days to change a password.  The reset password was broken since I activated my first PM account July 2018 - Okay.  It was working for a month and went downhill...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would not see monthly vs 30 day renewals as a defining feature of this service.  There are a huge list of items I would like to see address before I would even consider adding renewal durations to the list.  I guess this means I don't care. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@funpig wrote:

Right now, PM renewals are every 30 days. Because only five months of the year have 30 days, the renewal day keeps changing over the course of the year.  For example, a plan started on July 1 would renew on July 31, on August 30, September 29, etc.

I would much prefer that the renewal be on the same day of each month to make it easier to keep track of payments, especially when I am managing more than one PM account for family members.  Most other businesses bill on the same day, including credit card companies, Telus etc.

Anybody else agree?

To take the "management" part out...why not just put a valid credit card on your account and each renewal will just come automatically outta that card. As an added bonus, you'll be entitled to the $2 Autopay reward at renewal.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Next year is a leap year so February will have 29 days to cause more confusion.

Need Help? Let's chat.