cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

DEAD DEAL: Save 10% (plus get AirMiles) when paying for Public Mobile via Shell/Mastercard til Dec30

Update: This promotion has ended early (October 8) and is no longer available.

This might appeal to anybody who has a Mastercard and a nearby Shell gas station, and more so if you collect Air Miles.

Right now, Shell has a promo with Mastercard, where you get back 10% of purchases over $50. And, most Shell stations that sell gift cards also has Public Mobile top-up vouchers.

Here's the play:

• Go to http://shell.ca/fuelupforless and register your Mastercard number
  • Go to a Shell station (avoid those with a Circle K or Mac's or other non-Shell convenience store), and optionally grab a Public Mobile prepaid/reload card from their Gift Card rack (not actually necessary, since the card doesn't have a barcode, and the attendant needs to find/scan a barcode from their binder).  At the Shell I went to, it looks like this:
    PM_Reload.jpg
  • Specify that you want a $48 or $60 (or maybe even $100) Public Mobile top-up.
  • The attendant will scan the appropriate barcode and activate a 12-digit code ("voucher") for you, and charge you tax on top of the selected amount. This will cost at least $50, meeting the requirements of Shell's promo.
  • Have attendant scan Air Miles (if you collect them)... right now there's a promo so you'll get $10 + $1 for every $10 spent (up to $100 I think?), so the $48 top-up ($50+ including taxes) would get you 15 Air Miles.
  • Pay using your registered Mastercard.
  • Wait a few days (~7 days), and your MC will be credited 10% of the amount paid including taxes.  For example, a $60 reload will cost $63 in Alberta, so you'll get a $6.30 credit back onto your Mastercard within a few days after the transaction posts (but only if the transaction shows up on your CC as SHELL and not something else).

Shell has a $100 PM barcode in their binder (at the location I went to), but the attendant refused to try scanning it because this denomination isn't on the card shown above. But you might want to aim for that (and rinse/repeat) to maximize the offer on fewer vouchers, and pre-pay for several months. I'm not sure if there's an upper limit to the amount you can pre-load into your PM account.

As with all things, YMMV, but this is a valid promo that goes beyond just fuel purchases.

If you've never used a top-up voucher before, simply dial *611 and follow prompts, or log into your Self-Serve account, and then navigate Payment --> Make a Payment --> One Time Payment --> and then specify Payment method = Payment Voucher, and then enter your 12-digit Payment Voucher Number, printed at the top of the Activation Receipt.

By the way, no worries if you're registered for Autopay... you'll continue to enjoy the $2 discount every 30 days if you don't disable Autopay.  The system will just draw from your available funds instead of hitting your credit card, until the balance is depleted and it needs to supplement from your CC or Visa/MC debit.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Save 10% (plus get Air Miles) when paying for Public Mobile via Shell/Mastercard until December

Nice

Thanks @CalgaryBen for spreading it

Does it work with any master card

Re: Save 10% (plus get Air Miles) when paying for Public Mobile via Shell/Mastercard until December

@totalUser wrote:

Does it work with any master card

It probably has to be a bank-issued Mastercard credit card, and not a pre-paid MC.  But I'm not 100% sure.  The main thing is to register the number on the site provided, first, as they will drive the 10% credit going back to your card.

Mayor / Maire

@CalgaryBen 

Is Shell charge convenience fee for buying PM topup voucher?

I know Canadian Tire charge convenience fee for buying PM topup voucher.

BTW, this promo expires on December 30, 2019.

@popping wrote:

No convenience fees, at least at Shell stations I went to in Calgary -- I asked for $60, and was charged $63 (5% GST).  I applied to voucher into my PM account and now have $60 of available funds (will effectively have paid $54+tax after cash back).

Correct, promo expires December 30 per OP title (but it gets truncated on replies because the "Re:" prefix).  But you can buy a few $100 vouchers (effectively paying $90+tax) and load up your account, and be set for several months, well beyond this year!

Mayor / Maire

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@popping wrote:

No convenience fees, at least at Shell stations I went to in Calgary -- I asked for $60, and was charged $63 (5% GST).  I applied to voucher into my PM account and now have $60 of available funds (will effectively have paid $54+tax after cash back).

Correct, promo expires December 30 per OP title (but it gets truncated on replies because the "Re:" prefix).  But you can buy a few $100 vouchers (effectively paying $90+tax) and load up your account, and be set for several months, well beyond this year!

Is there any delay/wait time before you can add the voucher to  PM account?

If no, it is better to buy voucher at Shell station than drug stores.

@popping wrote:

Well, I bought a voucher from Shell today, walked back to work, and was able to apply the funds to my account right away (maybe 10 minutes had elapsed by then?).  So virtually no delay as far as I can tell!

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@popping wrote:

Well, I bought a voucher from Shell today, walked back to work, and was able to apply the funds to my account right away (maybe 10 minutes had elapsed by then?).  So virtually no delay as far as I can tell!

Do gift cards qualify for 10% and will they give hassle if you use gift cards to buy vouchers?

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

Do gift cards qualify for 10% and will they give hassle if you use gift cards to buy vouchers?

Yes, all purchases (including non-fuel) qualify:Shell3Steps.jpg

Many people are using this to get 10% off Amazon.ca gift cards, as well as other GCs carried by Shell.  I'm not sure what you mean about being hassled "if you use gift cards to buy vouchers" -- this thread suggests using a Mastercard to buy PM vouchers (or gift cards of your choosing, really).

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

Yes, all purchases (including non-fuel) qualify:Shell3Steps.jpg

Many people are using this to get 10% off Amazon.ca gift cards, as well as other GCs carried by Shell.  I'm not sure what you mean about being hassled "if you use gift cards to buy vouchers" -- this thread suggests using a Mastercard to buy PM vouchers (or gift cards of your choosing, really).

I wouldn't want too many vouchers at once. Gift cards can be used for gas or snacks. Do you think they will allow Public vouchers to be bought with a Shell gift card?