cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card stolen, want to avoid a problem when my account is due in 2 days, can I pay another way?

Lorry
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! I want to pre-empt an awkward situation when my account is due on July 15th. My credit card # had fraudulent activity, so the payment won't go through because the card was canceled, and I have to wait for my new card (will arrive next week). Can I pay in advance by another means? If not, what should I do to avoid being without service? Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

@Lorry 

Just your card got stolen? Or compromised online? You have changed your username and password for your online account for the card? If it was a bank issued credit card you can get a replacement card delivered to your branch in 3 business days.

Lorry

Lol. The header question is cut short, it should say, 'can I pay another way?'

Yes, thank you, with all these fast responses I know what to do now. 

I'm so grateful to the PM 'community' for being so helpful!!

I'm in Vancouver and the fraudulent activity on my credit card was in Toronto, so I guess it's up to VISA to hunt down the perpetrator. It's all fixable but is very inconvenient for the 'victim'. I know this happens a lot but hasn't happened to me before.

That wordings and layout is definitely "interesting"

@Lorry  are you all good now with PM?  what is left is for you now is to chase the guy with your credit card?  hope everything turns out good in the end

Lorry

Gotcha... 'replace the card' is the way to go. Super clear info, thanks.

I can't believe how helpful the 'community' is... love it!!

@Anonymous 

Here's the main difference between the two choices....

• Remove the card....well removes the card and it being registered for autopay. You must then add a new card and once successful reregister for autopay.
  • Replace the card allows you to update or change cards altogether and remain registered for autopay. More importantly if you run into the issue of the card being rejected by the system the card you are trying to replace remains on file.

Lorry

Sounds like good advice, I'll take it! Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciated...

Lorry

Very helpful and useful, thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lorry : I seem to recall that replacing the card will keep autopay toggled. Removing and re-adding a card will remove autopay.

Watch for the number of attempts if it doesn't "take". Make sure the address matches the billing address. No space in the postal code. Maybe even all caps. If it fails then try once again and then wait about an hour. When successful then do a nominal manual payment to test.

@Lorry 

I had my purse stolen not long after joining here. I had cards on four accounts. 2 of mine, the bf's and the roommate's. I bought vouchers til I could replace the cards and update them in our accounts. All but one my roommate always paid by voucher as I allowed my card just for his autopay reward. 

Well didn't that now reported stolen card stay on his account for a further six months. As long as it was never used for autopay or top ups its status didn't matter. Don't remove your card info until you get your replacement cards so you can still earn your $2 autopay reward.

More info and examples of real vouchers can be found here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

Lorry

That's good to know!

I'll top up funds with an online voucher and that should give me lots of time to get my new credit card activated, recognized by PM, etc. 

I'm assuming I'll have to set up autopay again.

I really appreciate your additional info, thank you very much.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lorry wrote:

Hi! I want to pre-empt an awkward situation when my account is due on July 15th. My credit card # had fraudulent activity, so the payment won't go through because the card was canceled, and I have to wait for my new card (will arrive next week). Can I pay in advance by another means? If not, what should I do to avoid being without service? Thanks!

@Lorry as long as you add funds to your account in the amount of your plan prior to your renewal, you will not lose services. 

The plan will renew taking the Available Funds balance first. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/top-up-your-account

Lorry

Super! Thanks, I've never needed to know this before as I've used auto-pay ever since I joined. Great to know what to do, and I greatly appreciate your swift response!! Thank you.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lorry   you can 

1. put in a different credit card if you have one

2.   you can buy a PM voucher and load the voucher online (My Account)  or via 611

3.  you can go with retail top up , small charge applies, available at most Canadian Tire Gas, Esso, Gateway Newstands, and MacEwen locations.

Need Help? Let's chat.