cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card charged twice during registration

mlopez8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I signed up with Public Mobile last weekend at a Green Mobile store. The clerk had some trouble with the registration (apparently, it was the same weekend that some things changed) and he had to go through the process twice before it went through.

I noticed today on my credit card transaction list that I was charged twice for $28.25 that day (that's $25 + tax, which is the price of the plan I selected). I assume this is because of the difficulties the clerk had.

How can we get one of the two transactions reversed? Is it simplest if I just dispute one of the two with my credit card company?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

mlopez8

Thank you, I've submitted a ticket!

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

hi @mlopez8  Use the chat button on the bottom right of the screen to open a ticket and type Dispute a charge on my credit card.  Then choose Contact Us and someone will get back to you.  Mention that your card was charged twice on the same day for the same account activation and they should be able to find it and correct this for you.  It's probably easiest for them to add the extra $25 to your account balance to be used for next month or to purchase add ons.  Good luck!

mlopez8

@HALIMACS wrote:

@softech wrote:

@HALIMACS , not sure about the email.. but that was a real story.. activated twice and   charged twice..

Oh I don't doubt that crazy stuff happens, @softech .  I'm sure the situation you describe has happened to some users at merchants without the full knowledge of the poor person just trying to activate a single service account.  

It just seems that the OP would have had to have provided a separate e-mail address if a merchant activated a 2nd account using a separate SIM.

@mlopez8 , did the merchant ask for a different e-mail address during the process?

Hmm, I don't think so. I only gave a single email address.

mlopez8

Hi all,

It's been a few days now and the $28.25 transaction hasn't been reversed, nor has it been added to my available funds. How do I contact the moderators to see if they can see the transactions and reverse one of them? (Or alternatively add it to the available funds.)

@softech wrote:

@HALIMACS , not sure about the email.. but that was a real story.. activated twice and   charged twice..

Oh I don't doubt that crazy stuff happens, @softech .  I'm sure the situation you describe has happened to some users at merchants without the full knowledge of the poor person just trying to activate a single service account.  

It just seems that the OP would have had to have provided a separate e-mail address if a merchant activated a 2nd account using a separate SIM.

@mlopez8 , did the merchant ask for a different e-mail address during the process?

that's why i always say they should fix the activation timeout error issue

@softech wrote:

@mlopez8 

did the mobile store use a 2nd SIM card in your activation?  I saw that before... the first time "seems' to be failed, mobile store was nice enough to give a new SIM card and reactivated  a second time and work.. but truth was . it activated twice and charged twice.  

If that is the case, you would have created 2 accounts.  Open a ticket with the mod.. if you don't mind ask them to close one of the account and move the money to the other one as a credit.  It is quicker to do it that way then asking for a refund.

Interesting thought, @softech , however wouldn't that have required the OP to have provided use of a 2nd e-mail address for the subsequent activation?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mlopez8 

did the mobile store use a 2nd SIM card in your activation?  I saw that before... the first time "seems' to be failed, mobile store was nice enough to give a new SIM card and reactivated  a second time and work.. but truth was . it activated twice and charged twice.  

If that is the case, you would have created 2 accounts.  Open a ticket with the mod.. if you don't mind ask them to close one of the account and move the money to the other one as a credit.  It is quicker to do it that way then asking for a refund.

@mlopez8 

As above by @computergeek541 and @HALIMACS. If the second charge appears as pending wait a couple more days to see if it drops off. If both charges appear as posted then check your account for a $25 credit on your balance and leave it for your next renewal. If both charges appear as posted and you do not have a $25 credit on your account contact the moderators to see if they can see the extra charge appearing in your account or on the "books". If they cannot locate it then dispute the extra charge with your credit card issuer.

mlopez8

@computergeek541 wrote:

On occassion, there can be pending an posted charges in a bank's online banking website.  I know that for me, sometimes, duplicates show up as even posted, but this is a bank error as it quickly gets removed. Can you check if you have one pending charge and one posted charge?

Yes, that might be the case. Both charges are posted, but there are also 3 pending transactions of $0 from Public Mobile. We'll see once those settle if one of them is actually a refund.

Will follow-up here once that happens (or doesn't happen).

@mlopez8 wrote:

Hi,

I signed up with Public Mobile last weekend at a Green Mobile store. The clerk had some trouble with the registration (apparently, it was the same weekend that some things changed) and he had to go through the process twice before it went through.

I noticed today on my credit card transaction list that I was charged twice for $28.25 that day (that's $25 + tax, which is the price of the plan I selected). I assume this is because of the difficulties the clerk had.

How can we get one of the two transactions reversed? Is it simplest if I just dispute one of the two with my credit card company?

Thanks!

When a SIM card number has already been used, the activation site should not have let you proceed any further if an account was already opened, but things don't always happen how they should. 

On occassion, there can be pending an posted charges in a bank's online banking website.  I know that for me, sometimes, duplicates show up as even posted, but this is a bank error as it quickly gets removed. Can you check if you have one pending charge and one posted charge?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@mlopez8 

I would recommend checking your available balance on your self serve account to see if the extra funds are sitting there.

If they are, I would recommend leaving them there until the next renewal and they will cover the amount of it.   

The thing is, requesting that the second charge be reversed will likely take longer then the time it will take for the funds to just be used towards your next renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.