cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card expiry notification email?

jbsbigboy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if my account isn't configured correctly, but shouldn't the system be reminding customers when their credit card expiry is at hand.  Most autopay systems do this.  In our case, my son's phone just quit working with no notice.  Seems like a feature like this would help the company maintain revenue and customers, and customers would be happy when they don't lose service needlessly.

18 REPLIES 18

Some cards no longer need you to call. Just use it and key in the security code. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@jbsbigboy, must credit card companies mails you an unidentifiable envelope with the new credit in it to prevent anyone from stealing this new credit card. One needs to call the 1-800 to activate it from the phone number that is associated with it. And once done, you need to throw away the old card, and update this card in any pre-paid accounts such as hydro, cell phones, maybe insurance, cable, etc. 

@LurganIeUk 

Yes one week before (I double checked)

This is why I always tell people not to block any public mobile numbers, there are not too many texts coming through, though most of them are not too important, you never know when one of them will save you hours without service or hours waiting for customer support to get back to you

BUT @kselmak  says he DID have a text reminder. 

@jbsbigboy @LurganIeUk 

I guess to each his own wishlist.....but if huge retailers to huge mobile providers that do not already have this implemented putting it on a wishlist for public mobile is comical. I don't understand why your replacement card and notice that comes in your mail which you then activated and put in your wallet is not notification enough for you to update the expiry date/info where necessary. Does your credit card company send you a reminder thru your email that a new card is on its way?

We could just remove most of our brains critical thinking grey matter and replace it with a tiny microprocessor and let it cover all these mundane tasks.

@jbsbigboy yeah your not wrong writing a few lines or editing a few lines of code would not be difficult. Where the line that you put your expiry date goes over the syatem would aut send an email. 

But I do think that PM is so budget that they wont do this unless they receive so many complaints about it that it would be more cost effective to change the line then answer customer inquiries. For that I do not know where they are at. lol

@jbsbigboy wrote:

Point taken on personal responsibility.  I’m all for it.  Unfortunately, we all have so many things to keep track of and remember.  Since computer systems are designed for this sort of thing, it makes sense to use such a feature.  As someone who has worked in IT for many years, I am aware that it’s not a huge stretch to make this happen.  It’s not a demand, just a suggestion that all parties would benefit from.

Me too. And when you give Costco a prescription, good for a year,  they put it in their system as per the date on the prescription. You have some drugs left and you don't actually need a refill for a couple of months on one of them. You then see you have one last refill to take on one of your four prescriptions. You call in and they say that one  prescription has expired. I say you, Costco, have a complete history on me for years, you know approximately how many I have, when I had it filled the last time, and when the prescription was written by my doctor. BUT you can still say I have one filling of that prescription left??? That went to the VP in Ottawa. All the info was there to say that there would not be a fourth filling, but no one wants to program it in as they all use a canned system. No one can remember all that stuff that happens once a year or every two years....yet alone who has a reminder and who doesn't.....so you know what that means.....do it yourself. I agree with what you are saying. 

jbsbigboy

Point taken on personal responsibility.  I’m all for it.  Unfortunately, we all have so many things to keep track of and remember.  Since computer systems are designed for this sort of thing, it makes sense to use such a feature.  As someone who has worked in IT for many years, I am aware that it’s not a huge stretch to make this happen.  It’s not a demand, just a suggestion that all parties would benefit from.

@brettster99 wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

That is actually really smart of you to use the free mail calendars to help remind you of the expiry date on the credit card to help remember to change the method of payment 

The calendar is used for everything financial. Ie maturing GICs, PM pre payment time, interest payments, car insurance due etc. Page 13 is for future years. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk 

That is actually really smart of you to use the free mail calendars to help remind you of the expiry date on the credit card to help remember to change the method of payment 

You usually receive a new credit card a month before expiry date. Some auto pay arrangements may remind you and others are just not sophisticated enough to do so. And the latter may cause a huge inconvenience to you. So YOU shouldn’t expect to have your hand held in this situation...YOU chose auto pay......YOU chose the method of payment....so YOU need to be sophisticated enough to make a list of vendors you pay, how you pay and be on top of it YOURSELF. An easy way to do for PM or any other payment set up is to screen print the card you used and the expiry date you input. And then file that screen print in some type of calendar or a self made file system.  I use one of those free book calendars that realtors mail to you along with a duo tang folder and 13 vinyl pocket pages. 

jbsbigboy

This may be true, but the person with the phone receiving the sms is not always the payer of the bills, so it is an unreliable method.  The sms being in place doesn’t negate the possibility of improvement by way of email notification to the account holder.  Public Mobile should improve this process.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Look for two text messages from 611 one week before expiry of your card

Screenshot_2020-04-30-11-29-36_01.jpg

Make sure he didn't block public mobile, this is why i always tell to people not to get annoyed with 3-4 messages they send on regular basis as you may miss something really useful.

Another think I could advise and I found very useful, the day you activate your new card head to your cc account and download your last bill (not the list of recent transactions) and check line by line which transaction was automatic withdrawal. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jbsbigboy wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if my account isn't configured correctly, but shouldn't the system be reminding customers when their credit card expiry is at hand.  Most autopay systems do this.  In our case, my son's phone just quit working with no notice.  Seems like a feature like this would help the company maintain revenue and customers, and customers would be happy when they don't lose service needlessly.

@jbsbigboy  Public Mobile will send out a reminder via text that the date on a credit card is about to expire. Not sure why your son did not receive it.

The $avings at PM are great but so far I've come to realize that it's best to be proactive rather than reactive around here. Set your own reminders and do your own checks rather than rely on PM 100% of the time and your will be happy. 🙂

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jbsbigboy a text message from 611 is sent to the phone associated with the account usually around 1 month in advance. Stay safe. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@jbsbigboy 

They sent me an sms a month before

Check your son's phone it should be there

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@jbsbigboy Hello unfortunately they do not always send such notifications as with many places they do not always tell you when your card is about to expire it is your responsibility you must go into your self serve account and update your expiry date on your credit card then you should be able to reactivate your account  good luck be safe

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Contact a moderator by submitting a ticket by clicking on the question mark on the bottom right. Usually credit card companies will send out a new card before your current one expires.

Need Help? Let's chat.