cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of $30 plan after taxes, fees, etc

DW1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I am considering switching over to Public and was wondering what the actual cost of a $30 plan after taxes and fees in British Columbia?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

DW1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wow, that's impressive.  I believe that you folks have thoroughly answered my question!

Thank you all for your helpful responses 🙂

BC taxes for PM are 5% GST plus 7% PST = 12% total. Taxes in other provinces or territories are different. You can avoid taxes on PM Payment Vouchers if you have Native Status and buy from a vendor on Native land.

The tax is charged at point of payment.

Funds in PM Self-Serve account have already been taxed and are not taxed again.

There are no account maintenance fees, 911 surcharges, or other hidden costs appended to the plan costs. A $30 plan costs $30 from your account balance.

A $30 PM Payment Voucher will cost $33.60 to buy from the vendor (because 12% tax), it will then deposit $30 balance into a PM account.

A $30 PM plan with AutoPay will charge $33.60 to your bank/credit card (because 12% tax), and will then deposit $30 balance into your PM account (which is then immediately spent towards plan renewal). If there are already funds in your account then they're used first and AutoPay only charges the remainder (along with tax on the remainder) needed to renew the plan.

And then there's PM Rewards (including $2 AutoPay Reward). They credit your account balance directly, taxes are not involved.

Also, one thing I found when I switched was the 911 fee usually charged separately on the flagship carrier's plans is included in Public Mobile's plans.

Also, the taxes are actually based on the province of your chosen phone number, not your payment address - so an Alberta number would be the cheapest if you don't care...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@DW1 wrote:

Hi there,

I am considering switching over to Public and was wondering what the actual cost of a $30 plan after taxes and fees in British Columbia?

Thanks

@DW1  $30 - $2 (AutoPay) = $28 plus tax.

If you use a referral code during signup you get another $10 off.

...once 🙂

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@DW1 wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks

@DW1  $30 - $2 (AutoPay) = $28 plus tax.

If you use a referral code during signup you get another $10 off.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DW1 wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks

@DW1   Your cost for the $30 plan would be  $33.60 with BC tax rate added and you don't add a CC for the autopay discount of $2/30 days, or  with autopay it would be $31.36.  As you can see it's a good idea to add CC and get the discount.  Welcome to PM.

Edit: @DW1   PM doesn't have any other fees and since it's also a prepaid service, you will not get any overages once you've consumed all your data (or mins from limited plans) and would need to wait until your renewal, or purchase an add-on data (which doesn't expire) to tide you over until renewal resets your plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.