cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged but SIM does not work

camluong5518
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently got a SIM card for Public Mobile at Walmart, and they said their policy is to activate the card on the spot, and so I let him. It seems he has unintentionally done it wrong. I am coming from Koodo, and I require my number to be ported over. He took a while, and in the end, sent me home with a SIM card that does not work, even though I have already paid for the pre-pay plan, costing me $25. My number was not ported and the SIM did not have service. I tried again, this time trying to do it myself. I bought a SIM from another store and followed all instructions to activate and port my number over from Koodo, including sending a ticket to Public Mobile asking for a port. However, it has been many days and I still do not have a ported number. When using my original Koodo SIM card, it still works. Can someone help?

10 REPLIES 10

Meghan123

One additional note, if you're a monthly customer with Koodo (not prepaid), you need to talk to Koodo in order to unlock your number.  They'll allow you 24hrs to port. You will not need to create a temporary number .

You only need to create a temporary number with PM if you are a prepaid customer with Koodo .

@camluong5518 wrote:

On my first SIM, when I put it in the phone it says No Service... Cannot call out or receive calls, even on the temporary number they gave me. Could not create an account due to that, because I need a PIN verification to be sent to that number.

On the second SIM, I am able to use the temporary number to call out and in. I have made an account using that number. However, after two tickets being sent in, I still do not have a ported number.

Both SIMs have charged me $26.25 on my card, but I cannot even cancel the first one because I cannot create an account.

I know this is going to be in hindsight, but the process of creating a second account was a mistake. The first account did get opened, but for some for some reason, service didn't get provisioned properly. This is the type of thing that only Public Mobile can fix for you.

Further complicating things is how you would seemingly have two porting requests submitted for the same phone number. The moderators are likey going to have to decide which account should be fixed and the number ported into. They would then need to deactivate the service for one of them, and hopefully, they will agree to either provide a refund or at least issue an account credit to the account that you end up keeping.

camluong5518

On my first SIM, when I put it in the phone it says No Service... Cannot call out or receive calls, even on the temporary number they gave me. Could not create an account due to that, because I need a PIN verification to be sent to that number.

On the second SIM, I am able to use the temporary number to call out and in. I have made an account using that number. However, after two tickets being sent in, I still do not have a ported number.

Both SIMs have charged me $26.25 on my card, but I cannot even cancel the first one because I cannot create an account.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @camluong5518 

Can you go to a Telus or koodo store and try the first sim in their loaner phone and see if it works.

Test calling in, calling out, texting in and texting out, make sure WiFi is off and try data. Ask clerk to give you store number to test

If the Walmart store ported your number to text first card you will not be able to port it to second one as the number is not with Koodo nor on your Koodo account.

For the second card, were you charged? If yes you have two separate accounts

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

As I see it @camluong5518 you now have 2 improperly activated accounts with PM.

1. Is a debit/ credit card attached to both accounts? You need to remove one of them. If there's no credit card on the first one, then it will automatically expire in 90 days.
  2. To port from Koodo prepaid you activate your SIM card with a temporary cell phone number and contact the moderators to port your number for you.

Could you please log into your self service account, go to the plan page and see what number is there. If its the Koodo number,  then your port is stuck. If its another number the port was never initiated. So, contact a moderator and explain your situation.  For scenario 1 ttpe "Stuck port". Scenario 2 type "Port Request" and follow the prompts to get to one. Give them the name on the account,  phone number to port and the old providers account number.  There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  Stay safe. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@camluong5518 two failed a tivations and failed ports? Something does not add up....

On the Walmart sim what happens when install the sim in your phone? Any message any service?  Did you receive an activation email? Can you call out? Etc...

Same questions on your second sim.

What info did you use to port?

camluong5518

Thank you for the replies, I will send another ticket.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

Don't try any more activations or buy more sims. You'll be paying for more plans and making more to fix. Wait for the moderator after reaching out to them.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@camluong5518 you need to send another ticket. you didn't need to purchase a new SIM card. you should of just messaged Moderators to fix Walmart's screw up.

check your inbox on top to right corner, maybe a moderator had already responded

Need Help? Let's chat.