cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling my plan

ScottyB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone is about to die and PM doesn't offer a good selection of phones in their shop nor do I want any of them. plus I'm not interested in buying a used phone, I want a new one. I read about cancelling my plan and it said to remove my credit card info and next bill payment, I will be deactivated.  I literally just got billed yesterday so I do not want to wait another month to have my plan deactivated nor pay for another full month.  Will I get billed for another full month if I do that?  Plus my phone is about to die so I cant wait. 

So what am I supposed to do to deactivate it now so I don't have to pay for another month as I need to get a new phone today or tomorrow?

30 REPLIES 30

@ScottyB 

Enjoy your new plan and phone  it looks like you found a deal you are very happy with....but I would love to see the details so that we fully understand what they are offering. From your post it sounds like for the first year it is:

1. $40/4.5gb first 12 months.
  2. Unlimited incoming/outgoing international SMS/MMS texts.
  3. Unlimited Canada-wide incoming/outgoing calling minutes.
  4. 1000 international calling minutes.
  5. $50/4.5gb second 12 months.

Do I have this correct? A medium tab for the Samsung A71.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScottyB : Yeah it's tough to compete with new phone offerings if one doesn't have the cash laying around to buy it outright or that one wants a better than cheap phone.

Remove your payment card, wait to get closer to the end of your currently paid term if you like your spent money, port out, done.

I hope you don't have a balance here.

macsal
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ScottyB wrote:

@AE_Collector 

TBH, when I am at a $35 dollar plan, there are not many plans that are gonna come out and wow me enough or undercut what I already have that would make me change providers.  And I am not concerned with a small 2 year plan which will fly by especially seeing I am getting a brand new phone and will get a warranty that comes with it for extra piece of mind.  Now I went to Walmart today, as Best Buy just ran out of the phone I wanted, so I could see what they had to offer me.  And i got a better deal which completely blows this whole discussion out of the water IMO and cemented that I am making the correct decision for myself.

Moving from PM to Koodo I get a $10 credit for the next year which means I am now getting a nice sum of money to transfer over.  I would pay nothing extra for the phone for the first year so the phone would only cost me $120 for the 2nd year and considering I get a $250 dollar, that is a no brainer.  Plus with the same $35 dollar plan I have here, I get additional data per month and 1000 international phone minutes which I dont get with PM.

That being said I have decided to move up and get the best A class phone the A71.  It only costs $5 more a month than the A51 and I get a $325 gift card.  So couple that with the extra 1000 minutes of international calling around the world and its a slam dunk no brainer.

I understand there are people on here who work for PM and are trying to deter me so I stay here and they keep making money off of me, but this move it an upgrade for me and a no brainer especially given the extra $10 off/month for the next year.  So thanks for all the input but everything has been weighed and the scales have tipped in favour of leaving.

@ScottyB sounds like you are on the best route to be on! Enjoy the new phone, always exciting to get a new toy. 😁

FYI, your comment in RED above...The posters on this Community are customers just like you. Only posters with 'MOD' or 'PM' at the end of their user names are Public Mobile Representatives. So your money have not been in our pockets. 😜

ScottyB

@AE_Collector 

TBH, when I am at a $35 dollar plan, there are not many plans that are gonna come out and wow me enough or undercut what I already have that would make me change providers.  And I am not concerned with a small 2 year plan which will fly by especially seeing I am getting a brand new phone and will get a warranty that comes with it for extra piece of mind.  Now I went to Walmart today, as Best Buy just ran out of the phone I wanted, so I could see what they had to offer me.  And i got a better deal which completely blows this whole discussion out of the water IMO and cemented that I am making the correct decision for myself.

Moving from PM to Koodo I get a $10 credit for the next year which means I am now getting a nice sum of money to transfer over.  I would pay nothing extra for the phone for the first year so the phone would only cost me $120 for the 2nd year and considering I get a $250 dollar, that is a no brainer.  Plus with the same $35 dollar plan I have here, I get additional data per month and 1000 international phone minutes which I dont get with PM.

That being said I have decided to move up and get the best A class phone the A71.  It only costs $5 more a month than the A51 and I get a $325 gift card.  So couple that with the extra 1000 minutes of international calling around the world and its a slam dunk no brainer.

I understand there are people on here who work for PM and are trying to deter me so I stay here and they keep making money off of me, but this move it an upgrade for me and a no brainer especially given the extra $10 off/month for the next year.  So thanks for all the input but everything has been weighed and the scales have tipped in favour of leaving.

Lots of things aren’t being properly weighed into the comparisons. PM is No contract thus @ScottyB  can leave on a moments notice when something ...lets say goes wrong with his phone. But once locked into a 24 month contract elsewhere (or tied to a financed phone for 24 months), many freedoms are being waived. If suddenly lets say Dot Mobile launches with a screaming deal for new customers... we can make the leap instantly but @ScottyB cant because he still has 18 months to go under contract since he unfortunately forgot how nice it was to be contract free here at Public Mobile.

AE_Collector

crustylady
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ScottyB wrote:

@krustlady, 

I was responding to someone else, but when I reply to posts, it doesn't include them for whatever reason. Yes I understand there is tax, I do live in this country after all.  I didn't include the tax as I assumed that everyone already knew that.  Just like when I tell people I have a $35 plan I assume they understand simple things like tax is extra, so yes, I have done my homework thank you very much.  But thanks for living up to your name, very fitting 😉

Touché, @ScottyB 

So when you wrote in an earlier post:

"Actually you are wrong, but thnxs for your input", who was that comment directed to?

Also, when you wrote:

"So in essence, they are giving me $10 for free to get a brand new phone", how else might I interpret that except to mean perhaps you're forgetting the tax.  You're not getting $10 for free, when the $240 is taxable.

I'm not saying it's a BAD way to acquire a new phone - just based on a very similar experience, it may not be all what it's cracked up to be and the Koodo reps will only paint a pretty picture for you when offering it.  Just ask @darlicious how much she adores Koodo and how everything they say is so very much above board... (sarcasm???)

Giving up on the PM rewards which you've built up for 2 years, and the ones you could continue to gain, ought to be weighed into your decision-making.

But as I wrote earlier, I'm sure you've weighed all those options and with @darlicious number crunching, you've got a good resource for making the decision!!!

Singing off,

crustylady

@ScottyB 

Of course....that's why I told you to enjoy your new phone. I just got a moto g7+ in December and I'm soooooo.....happy with it! $119 US from B&H. All in $180 cdn. But then again I pay $0 for my two accounts so I can afford to buy it outright.

ScottyB

@darlicious 

And the most important thing you are missing here is that i do not have an extra $400 to buy said phone outright hence my way is the better way for me.  But thnxs for your input 😉

ScottyB

@darlicious

Actually, I added it to my cart to see and taxes are added in as you can see from the screen shot.  Ive never bought electronics so I thought I would check and it seems to add it.  Plus it doesn't say anywhere if I get a warranty from amazon on the phone so that is another thing I dont like about buying from there as well as you dont know who or where it is coming from so there is no guarantee it is in fact new or refurbished.  You can always believe things you see on line and take them for face value 😉

http://prnt.sc/110f4st

And yes, that was the one I saw and quoted to you, so taxes added like it shows in my above screen shot and the phone is more expensive 😉

@ScottyB 

No worries but just for future reference their are no taxes added for electronics ( cellphones) when ordered from amazon.ca so my numbers are good. I did round up though just to make the math a little easier.

ScottyB

@darlicious, like I told Krustlady, I understand there is tax.  However, I just did numerous searches in google and in amazon.ca and there is no new A51 for the price you listed.  You must be looking at a used on for that price or the wrong phone.  The best price on their website, which is the "Amazon Choice" is $347 pre tax, so your numbers area a little off. So you are looking at 392.11 which equates to $16.34/month.  Either way, I have never been a fan of having to post on a community board and wait for responses from people who at times dont know what they are talking about, especially if it is a pressing matter.  I would rather go to a normal provider where I can pick up the phone and call and get a live person who knows what they are talking about when I need them. I will not be breaking my plan just as I have been here for almost two years so I will do the same thing there and get benefits I prefer.  Thanks for your response though.

@ScottyB 

Tap the "@" key separate from any other letters ( leave a space) then the pop up window will appear with usernames or just keep typing out the names til it appears and tap on the name to autofill and it will then properly tag the member.

Enjoy your new A51....remember you have 15 days to change your mind and cancel penalty free... you know just in case. Port your number over once you are locked in with no looking back!

ScottyB

@krustlady, 

I was responding to someone else, but when I reply to posts, it doesn't include them for whatever reason. Yes I understand there is tax, I do live in this country after all.  I didn't include the tax as I assumed that everyone already knew that.  Just like when I tell people I have a $35 plan I assume they understand simple things like tax is extra, so yes, I have done my homework thank you very much.  But thanks for living up to your name, very fitting 😉

@crustylady 

I replied to @ScottyB in another thread with the breakdown of a koodo tab.....

Well its not exactly free....but if you stay for the length of your contract and fully pay off your "tab" then its free.....financing essentially.  The koodo retail price for 64GB A51 phone is $540. Koodo gives you a $300 tab bonus. $540-$300=$240 ($10×24 months=$10 p/m+tax)+$31.20=$271.20 $271.20-$250 (best buy gift card) =$21.20 cost to you.

However if you do not fufill your obligations under the tab and are required to pay for your device outright you will be on the hook for the following:

$300+$240(or the remaining balance)=$540+tax(13%)$70.20=$610.20+$250 (gift card) =$860.20

The current amazon.ca price including taxes for the 64GB A51 $348÷24=$14 p/m -($3×12+$4×12) =$84** in rewards over 24 months means if you bought the phone outright and stayed with pm you would pay $0.50 extra per month to finance your own phone outright and you are not beholden to a provider for the next 24 months. 

I could not find a $35/2.5gb plan available under the tabs offered by koodo.

**@ScottyB  Since you are almost at 2 years of loyalty your rewards would be about $48+$60=$108 with the following 3 years at $72+$84+$96=$252 (autopay+loyalty only) And $96 every year after + the saved applicable taxes ($12.70)=$108.70 

@macsal  That's what I did.

macsal

@Quigley perhaps, but it appears OP was looking for some verification or additional supported comments.

crustylady
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Who is wrong,  @ScottyB ?

That is funny.

The $10/month is taxable,

+

There is very likely a phone credit built into the deal - you leave before the 24 months and you owe the phone credit value remaining + remaining tab. 

Does Koodo pay you for having auto-pay or each year of loyalty - NOPE.   

... but you knew all this already, surely, cause you did your homework. 

@macsal  That's what I said already.

macsal

@ScottyB wrote:

So just to be clear, cause someone else sent me a PM about this so I want to make sure I do it right.  Do I remove my auto pay and credit card info BEFORE I get my new phone and have my number ported over or remove my auto pay and credit card info AFTER my number is ported over to my new phone?

@ScottyB  - remove it before your cycle is up - if you are porting out of Public Mobile.

If you port - you will not have access to your Self Serve account any longer, and your account will be closed.

Just because you remove your credit card doesn't mean your service stops; your 30 days is paid, so you will still have your service until the cycle is up.

You should remove them FIRST, before porting out.

ScottyB

So just to be clear, cause someone else sent me a PM about this so I want to make sure I do it right.  Do I remove my auto pay and credit card info BEFORE I get my new phone and have my number ported over or remove my auto pay and credit card info AFTER my number is ported over to my new phone?

ScottyB

If I was buying the phone outright, but I cant afford that atm, so no can do, but thnxs.

ScottyB

Actually you are wrong, but thnxs for your input.  I can get a brand new Samsung A51 at Best Buy through Koodo with the exact same $35 plan I have here.  I only have to pay an extra $10 a month for 2 years which equates to $240 but they give me a $250 dollar gift card on top of that.  So in essence, they are giving me $10 for free to get a brand new phone, the same plan with them and they also have a promotion on right now where they pay for the sim and activation fee.  So sometimes the grass is greener on the other side 😉

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ScottyB wrote:

My phone is about to die and PM doesn't offer a good selection of phones in their shop nor do I want any of them. plus I'm not interested in buying a used phone, I want a new one. I read about cancelling my plan and it said to remove my credit card info and next bill payment, I will be deactivated.  I literally just got billed yesterday so I do not want to wait another month to have my plan deactivated nor pay for another full month.  Will I get billed for another full month if I do that?  Plus my phone is about to die so I cant wait. 

So what am I supposed to do to deactivate it now so I don't have to pay for another month as I need to get a new phone today or tomorrow?

If you want to go to another provider who will finance your new phone over 2 years, all you need to do is remove your autopay credit card from your account and port your number to the new provider. 

If you did not pay yesterday, you cannot port your number to another provider because PM will not release any phone number which is not active.

If you paid the next 30 days of your current plan and renewed yesterday for another 30 days,  keep your PM SIM card in your phone so that PM can send you a text message to confirm that you are the one who initiate the porting your phone number at your new provider.  Make sure to reply YES to PM text message before PM will release your phone number to your new provider.  As soon as your number is released to your new provider, you PM account will be canceled. 

If your phone already dead before getting a new phone from your new provider, your can get a new plan and new phone at your new provider first.  Then, put your PM SIM card in the new phone to receive the PM confirmation text message and initiate porting your PM number with your new provider.

PM service is a prepaid service.  There is no refund of the unused days for your current billing cycle.

If you are buying a new phone without using mobile provider interest free financing, you can stay with PM and just insert your PM SIM card in your new phone.

ScottyB

Thnxs will do that, cheers.

Spudster

@ScottyB 

Just because you're getting (needing) a new phone doesn't mean you have to cancel your plan with Public Mobile.  

Just remove the SIM card from your dying phone, and put it in your new phone once you decide on one.

You may need to detach the adapter, or add a piece, but SIM's are transferrable between phone's so long as the SIM isn't very old and isn't a non tri-cut variety.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScottyB : You just said you just paid. So you're in for another 30 days. There are stores that will sell you a phone outright. Some stores have what they call unlocked phones or prepaid phones. These seem to be somewhat cheapy phones but they would work.

But certainly, people move to a big provider to get a shiny new fancy phone. But there ain't no free lunch. You're paying for it over time. Partly subsidized by remaining a customer. But it's not free.

macsal

@ScottyB wrote:

@ScottyB 

If you paid just yesterday then you have your plan for another 30 days.

You can only cancel your account immediately if you port to another provider, but no refund will be given as this is a prepaid service.

Remove your credit card in your Self serve account and it will not renew (go into suspended status), unless you have Available Funds in your account sufficient to cover the cost of your plan.

If you do decide to buy another phone, then you have up to 90 days in suspended/nonpay status to keep your Public Mobile account and phone number. Just come back before 90 days and resume your service.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There is no 'bills' here as this is 'prepaid' service. If you are on autopay, just remove card and if you do that, you will not get charged and service will be suspended. I assume that you will also port your phone number so that's another way of 'cancelling your plan'..  Note, if you already paid, you will not get any refund for remaining days left in your billing cycle. 

Need Help? Let's chat.