cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel service between Dec/29/2018 to Mar/21/2019.

Ton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My anniversary day is  Dec/28/2018. I would like to cancel my service,  I am travelling from Dec/29/2018 to Mar/21/2019. Can I keeps my Account and the phone number until I come back in March/21? I will reactive on Mar/22/2019.

Thank you very much.

10 REPLIES 10

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Ton In case you need it: Extended Absence

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ShawnC13 Right, should have suggested that as a first option.  Thanks!

@BarryS wrote:

@Ton I’m guessing you want to keep your account active until March 2019 while you travel, and resume using it when you return?  You don't really want to cancel your service (as you would lose your telephone number, account, etc.). Best way would be to buy the $10/month plan for a couple of months to maintain your account, telephone number, and then when you return purchase the plan you really want to use.  

@BarryS, there is no need to change plans.  You can have a suspended account for up to 90 days before you lose your account and number. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ton

Independent of which method you choose to suspend your service for a few months, your anniversary date will be delayed/adjusted the same amount of days for your loyalty reward calculation.

+1 for this option.  Works like a charm.  The system provides the deactivation date.  So there is no risk of beingge it wrong and listin the account.

No need to change your plan since you will be back before 90 days. In case of delays, make sure you renew your plan before 90 days.

When you leave, just turn off auto renewal. If you currently have balance of more than your plan cost, do the lost/stolen phone trick as mentioned above. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ton wrote:

My anniversary day is  Dec/28/2018. I would like to cancel my service,  I am travelling from Dec/29/2018 to Mar/21/2019. Can I keeps my Account and the phone number until I come back in March/21? I will reactive on Mar/22/2019.

Thank you very much.

When my son lost his phone, I simply logged into the self-serve portal for his account, clicked on "Plans and Add-Ons", and selected the "Lost/Stolen Phone" option, and then clicked on the "Suspend Service", then clicked on "Confirm".  His plan was not renewed for the next cycle, and two-and-half months later, when we found his phone, I simply manually added sufficient funds to resume his previous plan using the credit card on file, and then un-suspended his phone, and the plan was reactived and his old number was retained.  It's just important to resume service before the 90 days is up.

The recommendation to de-register auto-pay is a good one to minimize your chances of being charged, but in my experience was not necessary.  By not altering your plan, you can resume it regardless of whether it's in-market when you go to restore it.

One other note: if you use this lost/stolen phone method, don't bother updating your voicemail greeting -- callers to your number will immediately get dropped before they even hear a ring!  If it's important to notify/advise your callers of your status, then you'll need to use a different approach, such as switching to a cheap $10/30 plan, and then doing whatever is needed to update the VM greeting and mailbox type (e.g. disable leaving of messages).

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Ton I’m guessing you want to keep your account active until March 2019 while you travel, and resume using it when you return?  You don't really want to cancel your service (as you would lose your telephone number, account, etc.). Best way would be to buy the $10/month plan for a couple of months to maintain your account, telephone number, and then when you return purchase the plan you really want to use.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ton wrote:

Thank you very much.

Make sure you remove autopay and your account can stay suspended for 90 days.  If it goes over that you will lose your account and your phone number and will need a new sim to setup a new account when you return

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You'll lose your account and your number after 90 days of suspension. I'd consider switching to a basic plan just to keep it active, if I really wanted to keep my number.

Need Help? Let's chat.