cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pay from my bank?

Zigakly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I've read that Public Mobile does not accept payments from banks, and therefore I cannot set up automatic payments. Yes I am aware of AutoPay, but unfortunately I won't be giving you or anyone else a back door to my bank account, especially not knowing what day of the month the payments will be made.

So I just paid for another 30 days, is this egregious shortcoming going to be fixed in that time? Or am I shopping for another carrier? Because there's no chance I'm wasting a split second of my time making payments manually for a $40 account. NONE. And there's no way I'm lending you money by paying a pile in advance just so you can save a few cents. Get real!

BTW I use Fongo and don't have to worry about porting my number every time I switch cel providers. Clearly that's what's needed in this crappy market.

30 REPLIES 30

I'm not certain that @Zigakly realizes that we are PM customers here, not PM management. It is what it is thus it is Take it or Leave it. Not all companies and offerings are identical thus we have choice. I would really like a monthly receipt but the only way to get it is to jump through a few hoops. Seems silly but it is what it is. I am very happy here despite a couple of small things that I would do differently.

Let us know where you land and why @Zigakly 

AE_Collector

@Obice wrote:

@ShawnC13  I understand that.

I've looked at every provider there is for phone, internet and TV and out of every provider I have found which is a lot of them, they all have similar pricing between each other. Get this for that much or this for this. You'll always notice that one thing is just a bit more or less than the other thing prompting you to either take it or save your money. Fight or flight.

@Obice  @Now for cable and internet services at least you are able to stop and make the major players compete for your business but you have to be willing to act and leave one of them if you see a better deal.  I was able to an amazing deal by switching to Telus for Internet cable and home phone and as soon as they put in the port request shaw called me and was offering an amazing deal. 

Cell phone providers don't seem to be the same level of competition

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13  I understand that. In my opinion one cannot vote with their wallet and that's purely because the market is very fixed, closed off and limited and it's like that for a very nefarious reason; the big 3 want to have complete and utter control and they have it.

I've looked at every provider there is for phone, internet and TV and out of every provider I have found which is a lot of them, they all have similar pricing between each other. Get this for that much or this for this. You'll always notice that one thing is just a bit more or less than the other thing prompting you to either take it or save your money. Fight or flight.

I know the customer isn't always right, I was saying that because that's the bullsh** that I've heard so many times. The customer might not be right, but that's why you help them out not manipulate them. The greatest form of manipulation is making someone think they chose what they chose for their self.

@Obice wrote:

There was a time, not too long ago mind you and I wasn't apart of it because I would've been a young chap at the time, where prices for things were better. Putting prices aside, I think companies have either forgotten a key factor or they have just become very smart and so the system is what it is today.

I could make this restricted, but I'll do my best to keep it PG. We are the customers and like I mentioned prior, the customer used to always be right is expected to take what's given to them. This part might seem a little "bold" of me to say but hear me out. Nowadays we're expected to take what's given to us and not ask questions, we're expected to bow down. Now, ideally I don't think anyone should be bowing down to anyone, at all. At all. That's just someone on too high a horse, however, realistically, if someone is paying for a service... the service should be bowing down to the individual whom is feeding it, sort of speak. It should NOT be the other way around.

I worked retail for way to long in my late teens and early twenties and I can tell you the customer is not always right. I do agree that we can't bow down and just take everything that the big companies are pushing at us.  That is where you vote with your wallet and you give then your business or not.  By my comments I made I meant that there are different levels of products and service provided by Telus and as a consumer you choose what tier suits you best or you choose a completely different provider.

You can't pay for a Chevette and expect the performance and features of a Corvette.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Obice

There was a time, not too long ago mind you and I wasn't apart of it because I would've been a young chap at the time, where prices for things were better. Putting prices aside, I think companies have either forgotten a key factor or they have just become very smart and so the system is what it is today.

I could make this restricted, but I'll do my best to keep it PG. We are the customers and like I mentioned prior, the customer used to always be right is expected to take what's given to them. This part might seem a little "bold" of me to say but hear me out. Nowadays we're expected to take what's given to us and not ask questions, we're expected to bow down. Now, ideally I don't think anyone should be bowing down to anyone, at all. At all. That's just someone on too high a horse, however, realistically, if someone is paying for a service... the service should be bowing down to the individual whom is feeding it, sort of speak. It should NOT be the other way around.

@Zigakly wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Zigakly 

You can setup autopay using VISA debit card from your bank account.  It is almost using bank account payment. 

You payment always on your next renewal date.  PM billing cycle is 30 days.  I don't think PM will change that.  IIRC, Telus prepaid is also on 30 days billing cycle.  Correct me if I am wrong.

I think that Zigakly already knows that Visa Debit can be used to have the payments funded with a bank account, but I believe that the issue is that this custoemr doesn't wisht to have payment information given to, nor saved in the Public Mobile account, nor does this customer wish to do manual payments. 

In this type of situation, all that can really be done is to forward the suggest to allow pre-authorized payments from someone's online banking.

I don't mind if they have my Visa Debit on file. I only mind that with pre-authorized payments they can change the amount of the payment without my knowledge or consent. The fact that both PM and Chatr refuse to allow customers to control recurring payment amounts is highly suspect.

By the sounds of it PM isn't for you, and that is ok it works for a lot of people and they are happy.  I don't think you would ever be happy with the PM system here no matter what improvements were made as something else would be inadequate.

As said many times here Take Public Mobile for what it is not what you want it to be. It is  third tier pre-paid provider with 30-day plans, that offers a $2 discount if you set up autopay as well as other benefits

@Zigakly  I think you are missing an important feature of public mobile. Unless you load up your balance on your account or register your credit card for autopay pm cannot take your money. You get exactly what you pay for. If you don't like it don't pay for it. They won't try to ruin your credit or send a zillion collection agencies after you. Your service will just stop. Plans and prices might change but as long as you stick to your plan public mobile is beholden to it. They grandfather it in. Instead of raiding prices they've for the most part lowered them. There is many query of why users with a grandfathered plan complain that they are paying more for less...unlike other providers that sneak increases onto your bill if your not paying attention public mobile will offer you a better deal but if your not paying attention you may pay more til you notice and you simply go into your account and schedule a change. No phone call, muzac , more waiting, muzac and an agent, on hold , more muzac, and an agent who may or may not have made the right change and probably charged you more money...but you won't know til you get your bill and it's after you've used their service so now you do owe it! Because it's last month and your halfway thru the next month and the only way to change it is to get on the phone and listen to that lovely muzak again and hopefully  they will correct it this time ... but your happy to lift a finger to pay this bill cause it's a lot more than $40 a month so it maybe the middle finger you lift but you'll lift it to approve that pre authorized payment from your bank account despite the overage charge, the roaming fees, the text to landline charge, and the 411 calls someone made on your phone but since you can pay it out of your account it's worth it? Right? Oh wait no it's not because you switched to Public Mobile to lower your bill ? There are a lot of advantages to Public Mobile. Almost complete control over your account, no overages, no roaming, no surprise price increases,sways to reduce your bill, instant access to a community that cares and can help and solve most issues for you. Even let you rant, insult them,generally act like am a$$ and most will still try and help. But only to a point...we understand people have bad days...they have to get it out...so here's your chance but please have some respect  we are customers just like you but apparently much happier ones....just chill out.....20190724_232926-ANIMATION.gif

Zigakly

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Zigakly 

You can setup autopay using VISA debit card from your bank account.  It is almost using bank account payment. 

You payment always on your next renewal date.  PM billing cycle is 30 days.  I don't think PM will change that.  IIRC, Telus prepaid is also on 30 days billing cycle.  Correct me if I am wrong.

I think that Zigakly already knows that Visa Debit can be used to have the payments funded with a bank account, but I believe that the issue is that this custoemr doesn't wisht to have payment information given to, nor saved in the Public Mobile account, nor does this customer wish to do manual payments. 

In this type of situation, all that can really be done is to forward the suggest to allow pre-authorized payments from someone's online banking.

I don't mind if they have my Visa Debit on file. I only mind that with pre-authorized payments they can change the amount of the payment without my knowledge or consent. The fact that both PM and Chatr refuse to allow customers to control recurring payment amounts is highly suspect.

@popping wrote:

@Zigakly 

Zigakly

(deleted, previous post updated)

Zigakly

@Anonymous wrote:

@Zigakly: A difference here is that the payment due date floats. It's not one particular day of each month like other kinds of places that do recurring payments.
I'm the opposite. I dislike automatic payments. I use a prepaid "credit" card gift card to satisfy the autopay reward. Through several circumstances, next month I'll be finally trying out it actually taking money from it automatically.
Another thing people do is simply to manually pay into the account at their own set day each month and then watch for the floating day to float up to that day.
How do you pay all your bills anyway? If you're doing auto-debits then it's the same exposure that you're worried about.

But sure...rant away. I think being able to pay via Paypal would be useful too. Are we going to see other payment methods any time soon? Doubt it.

Yeah I'm not keen about the floating date either, but for the sake of the good rates I'm ok with setting up monthly payments and one annual one to make up for the 5.25 days not covered by the 12 payments, and just keep an extra month's worth on the account. Then if a rate increase is proposed, I only have two recurring payments to adjust. That's completely fair.

But I control the AMOUNT of these payments. They can't change the amount without my knowledge and consent. They do not have the exposure of pre-authorized AutoPay withdrawals. When they want to raise rates, they will put some fine print in the bills, which I won't be monitoring every month, and then they will start taking the higher amount until you notice the rate has gone up.

So when all three telcoms do that at the same time, the impact is deferred until people notice their phone payments have gone up. If people have notice that the rate is going to increase, they shop around, and naturally the other telcoms are going to take whatever business they can get. But then they have to cut deals to persuade customers to switch. When everyone gets nailed unexpectedly, they don't have to cut deals. "Sorry, everyone's paying the new rate." That's collusive price-fixing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zigakly: A difference here is that the payment due date floats. It's not one particular day of each month like other kinds of places that do recurring payments.
I'm the opposite. I dislike automatic payments. I use a prepaid "credit" card gift card to satisfy the autopay reward. Through several circumstances, next month I'll be finally trying out it actually taking money from it automatically.
Another thing people do is simply to manually pay into the account at their own set day each month and then watch for the floating day to float up to that day.
How do you pay all your bills anyway? If you're doing auto-debits then it's the same exposure that you're worried about.

But sure...rant away. I think being able to pay via Paypal would be useful too. Are we going to see other payment methods any time soon? Doubt it.

Edit: re: price changes...you will read an announcement here at least 30 days prior to any price change.

Zigakly

@Obice wrote:

It's very unfortunate but when it comes to prepaid this is what you get. You either pay for a card at a store and add funds to your account manually or you add your credit card to your account (which will give you access to AutoPay).

There is no way to pay through your bank with prepaid, only postpaid because postpaid is reoccurring and that's EXACTLY what they want you on. You are treated (to some degree) like royalty when on postpaid but prepaid... (chuckle)

That's what makes no sense. With prepaid they already have your money. You can't owe them money which they then have to spend money to collect. Why would they refuse to accept a similar and perfectly reasonable method of payment which all other carriers accept? I think it's safe to assume they incur the same transaction charges with AutoPay as they do with accepting bank payments.

I say it can only be because they can hike up the rates without giving you a fair opportunity to decline the rate increases. They just yank it and hope you don't notice. With recurring payments you set up through your bank, they have to give you proper notice that the rate will be increasing, so you can adjust your recurring payments, which gives you time to consider switching carriers. Insisting that you don't get that notice is inherently anti-competitive. The fact that two major telcoms are employing the exact same scheme is a huge red flag. I bet Bell can't be far behind. Let's just say the Virgin looks pregnant 😉

Obice

It's very unfortunate but when it comes to prepaid this is what you get. You either pay for a card at a store and add funds to your account manually or you add your credit card to your account (which will give you access to AutoPay).

There is no way to pay through your bank with prepaid, only postpaid because postpaid is reoccurring and that's EXACTLY what they want you on. You are treated (to some degree) like royalty when on postpaid but prepaid... (chuckle)

Zigakly

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Zigakly wrote:

Any other ways I can use AutoPay? Y'know, the thing I have said in no uncertain terms I am never going to allow?

Everyone gets your message... that you won't be using your credit card to get the autopay reward. Fair enough, that certainly your perogative. In order to take advatage of the Public Mobile autopay reward, you need to use a credit card for autopay. Therefore, you won't be able to get that reward.

There's other rewards such as the Refer a friend...but it doesn't sound like referring PM to your friends is something you'd do either.

Good luck where ever you go.

Man this is worse than Facebook. At no point did I express any interest in any rewards. I'm fine with paying the full rate, but I insist on setting up a recurring payment that I control. With AutoPay, they can yank whatever amount they want at any time. Look at the pre-authorized payment form. It doesn't specify a schedule of withdrawals, it just gives them a blank cheque to your money.

Think about this - Koodo and Public Mobile are both owned by Telus. Why is PM undercutting Koodo? Fido and Chatr are both owned by Rogers, why is Chatr undercutting Fido? Take a wild guess whether Chatr accepts online bank payments either.

I'll tell you exactly why PM and Chatr exist: it's because phone companies can no longer refuse to release phone numbers of customers with outstanding balances from being ported to other companies. Soon they're going to raise the prices of both tiers so that PM and Chatr are at the current Koodo and Fido rates, then let Koodo and Fido go the way of the dodo. (can you tell I'm a songwriter?)

Obice

@Zigakly wrote:

Hi, I've read that Public Mobile does not accept payments from banks, and therefore I cannot set up automatic payments. Yes I am aware of AutoPay, but unfortunately I won't be giving you or anyone else a back door to my bank account, especially not knowing what day of the month the payments will be made.

So I just paid for another 30 days, is this egregious shortcoming going to be fixed in that time? Or am I shopping for another carrier? Because there's no chance I'm wasting a split second of my time making payments manually for a $40 account. NONE. And there's no way I'm lending you money by paying a pile in advance just so you can save a few cents. Get real!

BTW I use Fongo and don't have to worry about porting my number every time I switch cel providers. Clearly that's what's needed in this crappy market.

I rarely "like" or in this case "Bravo" a post but you got mine. We need more honesty around here.

@Zigakly wrote:

Any other ways I can use AutoPay? Y'know, the thing I have said in no uncertain terms I am never going to allow?

Everyone gets your message... that you won't be using your credit card to get the autopay reward. Fair enough, that certainly your perogative. In order to take advatage of the Public Mobile autopay reward, you need to use a credit card for autopay. Therefore, you won't be able to get that reward.

There's other rewards such as the Refer a friend...but it doesn't sound like referring PM to your friends is something you'd do either.

Good luck where ever you go.

Soapes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Looks like you can only use a credit card

Soapes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Looks like you can only use a credit card 

88cranston

Left conversation. 

Zigakly

Zigakly

I don't make my clients make special financial preparations to do business with me. I'm not lifting a finger over a $40 monthly bill. That's insane.

88cranston

@Zigakly wrote:

Yes I am aware of AutoPay, but unfortunately I won't be giving you or anyone else a back door to my bank account, especially not knowing what day of the month the payments will be made. Is there an echo in here?

I just looked up the fees my bank (TD) charges merchants for accepting bill payments online. It's $25 a month and 10 cents per transaction. So I tell you what, I'll add 50 cents to my payments, that should more than cover the transaction costs.

You will save money with PM to help offset TD charges. And then when you dump TD, as you should, you will save even more. Look at dealing with Credit Union. 

Now hook the **bleep** thing up. Or is it because you want to be able to hike your rates up without your customers noticing? (that's a rhetorical question btw)

Zigakly

The censored word above sounds just like "***". Thanks for making me look much less reasonable than I am.

88cranston

@Zigakly wrote:

You get a text on the day of payment due. You also can see when your next payment is due when you log into your account. You could use a prepaid credit card of which you will control how much is on it. But that is a loosey goosey too as will will give them your banking info. Check out STACK Mastercard...you don’t have to carry it, if you only use it for auto-pay. Or have one of your many credit cards for auto-pay and online payments only. 

Or go buy a top up at a retailer to pay. But keep in mind only auto-pay gives you a $2 reward per month. 

Loosen up!

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Prepaid card is a great option you should look into

Zigakly

Yes I am aware of AutoPay, but unfortunately I won't be giving you or anyone else a back door to my bank account, especially not knowing what day of the month the payments will be made. Is there an echo in here?

I just looked up the fees my bank (TD) charges merchants for accepting bill payments online. It's $25 a month and 10 cents per transaction. So I tell you what, I'll add 50 cents to my payments, that should more than cover the transaction costs.

Now hook the **bleep** thing up. Or is it because you want to be able to hike your rates up without your customers noticing? (that's a rhetorical question btw)

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Only if you have a debit visa/MC that comes out of your account

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Zigakly 

Need Help? Let's chat.