cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I stop service for two months but still keep the number?

Xd88016986
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm going to travel for two months and I want to stop service for this period.  But can I still have the same number when I re-open the service in the third month? 

13 REPLIES 13

skyscanner20152
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, absolutely you can come back to use the service again as long as you have your number and account details. Your account will not be active if you did not make payment, when you need to use the service again you can add your credit card details and make a new payment to activate your account.

@Xd88016986 

Yes that's exactly what would happen. That's why I posted my second long winded reply to you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Xd88016986 : Answered above by darlicious. Use lost/stolen to self-suspend just before it would renew (ET).

Anonymous
Not applicable

that all you need to do and don't forgetting with in 89 days to Reactivate the service,

to you don't losing your phone number.

Set up again your AutoPay and you will receive a $2 credit every 30 days.

Happy trip and enjoy 

Good Luck 

Xd88016986

My plan is $40 per month.  I'm just afraid that although I remove the auto pay for July and August, it will use the $40 that was already in my available funds to pay for July while I'm away. 

@Xd88016986 

I'm getting a different take on what you are asking which is why I'm asking for your renewal and departure dates. If you don't want to pay for your next renewal because you either leave before your plan renews or very shortly afterwards then your best choice is to suspend your account via lost/stolen and keep your card registered for autopay.

By using lost/stolen to suspend pm "freezes" your service and account. When your renewal comes along nothing happens. The system can't take money from your balance nor can autopay charge your card. Your data counter doesn't  reset.....your account is "frozen" in time until you resume your service again via lost/stolen. If you have enough funds in your balance to cover your plan amount then the moment you unsuspend by clicking on resume your plan will automatically renew.

So if you don't intend to renew don't click on resume to just see what happens. If you don't have enough funds to cover your plan amount then after your renewal fails you could briefly unsuspend. Once you do that your data counter will reset and your account will say suspended. And you must do this to top up the account....because you cannot make payments while your account is in lost/stolen mode.

Regardless if you have a couple of days before renewal when you depart then just log into your account while you wait to board at the airport on their free wifi and suspend via lost/stolen.

If your renewal is before departure or that night then I recommend suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern so you retain active voicemail service. This way you can still access important calls or voice messages and recieve voice call verification codes if needed. If for some reason you can't call your phone number using a wifi calling app like fongo or textnow then at least you can still access voicemail from a traditional phone or using a local sim card's service.

@Xd88016986 

When do you leave on your trip? When is your renewal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

you have a balance $40 available ! so how much you plan ?

if you remove autopay now the take it the $40 from your account and your account keep  activate until you come back you can Reactivate the service. 

if your travel for two months and the take for July, so i don't think so is a big deal for losing a one month you know.

it's is up to you if like to Remove your Autopay from your account. to save one month.

Good Luck

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Xd88016986 

@darlicious hit the nail on the head, very good description. If you have autopay just remove and you are good to go. enjoy the trip and be safe.

Xd88016986

Ok thanks. But there is $40 available funds in my account now.  If I turn off the auto pay for July, will it use my available funds to pay it? 

I mean it is meaningless for me as I will be abroad. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Xd88016986 

You can suspend your account for up to 90 days ( 89 really) before it would be deactivated for non payment. It is best to reactivate it around day 85 just in case you have any issues when trying to pay and reactivate your plan.

Your account will automatically suspend if it recieves no payment on your renewal for the next 30 days of service. If you have a card registered for autopay you can remove autopay in your self serve account or by calling 611 from your phone. Your renewal will then fail and your account will suspend.

If you have a balance and/or you still want to earn your autopay reward you can keep your autopay intact and suspend your service via the lost/stolen feature in your self serve account.

If you suspend before midnight eastern on the evening before your renewal date you will keep your voicemail active while suspended. Just dial your number from another phone and press * when it connects and enter your 4 digit voicemail pin#. However any rewards you may have will not be automatically applied and once you pay and reactivate your service you can ask the moderators to apply them manually to your balance.

If keeping voicemail active is not important to you then you can suspend shortly after midnight eastern once you see your rewards applied and then make sure you suspend via lost/stolen before 2 am eastern when the autopay system will kick in to charge your card.

Set up a reminder in your phone' calendar and/or alarm a week and then 3 or 4 days before day 89/90 of suspension so you do not miss reactivating your account to avoid deactivation and losing your phone number.

Happy travels!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow  the say 100% Right 

Happy trip and enjoy 

Good Luck 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Yes, you may

Remove your Autopay from your account. 

The account will then be in Suspended status at the end of the current cycle due to non-payment.  

(you can also use Suspend Service if you want to do it manually, especial if you have Available Fund on the account) 

From that day the account is suspended, you have 90 days to come back and Reactivate the service.   I suggest you to do so around 85th day just in case.

Wen you are ready to come back, go back online and pay manually.  After you pay, check if the status change back to Active.  Likely not and you have to click the Reactivate current plan.    Once you click that, restart your phone and you are back into PM business   🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.