cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Add-Ons be Purchased from Phone?

Raysis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I'm considering moving one of my family phones to Public Mobile, but I'm trying to understand one thing, which I haven't seen explicitly addressed.

Can an add-on be purchased via the phone/device, or must this be done via the website?

In "How Can I Pay" it says I can set up a credit card for "Auto-Pay". Presumably when you do that, this means that credit card is now a "Registered Credit Card", and payments can be made using this card by dialing *611.

So, would it be possible to dial *611, make a payment, then use that payment to pay for an Add-On, all from the phone?

To be clear, I would prefer that this *NOT* be possible.

14 REPLIES 14

@RaysisI sent you a private message, you can read it by clicking the envelop in the top right corner of this page, and then by clicking on the subject (611 and PIN) in bold.

Raysis

Ah, Beautiful! This is the piece I was missing.

Thank you, all. While simple in concept, it is a bit tricky to figure out all the ins and outs before signing up. Nice to see such an active and helpful community.

@Raysis wrote:

So I guess the only way to prevent being able to purchase add-ons via the phone is to NOT register for Auto Pay. Essentially a $2/month "tax" to disable this ability.

@Raysis, just don't give her the PIN for the account. You have to dial your PIN in order to buy add-on from the 611 service.

@Raysis wrote:

The link here talks about making payments via *611.

So I guess the only way to prevent being able to purchase add-ons via the phone is to NOT register for Auto Pay. Essentially a $2/month "tax" to disable this ability.

(The service would be for my daughter who has a serious data addiction.)

This was a relatively old post and I mistakenly thought that it applied to legacy customers only.  I made a call to 611 just to see what I can do.  Wow, so this is rather convenient to be able to buy add ons without having to login. 

Once you activate the line and then you can setup autopay for future renewals, and you will get 2 dollars reward per 30 days. And to buy extra add on you can either goto website or dial 611 since they already have credit card details on file you can use those details to purchase add-on.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Raysis

The link here talks about making payments via *611.

(The service would be for my daughter who has a serious data addiction.)

@Someone_here wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Public Mobile has no call in (611) service.  There is no live chat.  All transactions are self serve via the portal.  Moderators are available to assist if problems are encountered.  @Samianauman your reference to 611 is inaccurate. 

@will13am

Try calling 611 from your phone and listening to the system. You'll see that it is entirely possible to buy an add-on over the phone 😉 You won't talk to a CSR, but the automated system will elt you buy an addon if you want!

@Raysis

So yes it is possible to buy an add-on by calling 611. I just tried it to be sure (P.S. I am not on legacy plans).

I thought 611 is a legacy service.  Live and learn.Robot Embarassed  Robot surprised

@Samianauman wrote:
Thanks someone here

That's what I meant as well once you add credit card to autopay then you can dial and buy add-on or top up

I am not aware such purchasing method is available to new accounts.  Can you point out where in the website this is referred to?

Thanks someone here

That's what I meant as well once you add credit card to autopay then you can dial and buy add-on or top up.
Just confirmed as well if you have a active credit card in autopay then you.can dial *611 and select option 1 for buying add-on.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am, you are incorrect this time. I know US addons can be purchased over the phone, I know that it has been mentioned in several posts. I am not sure about other addons.  easy way is to call 611.

@will13am wrote:

Public Mobile has no call in (611) service.  There is no live chat.  All transactions are self serve via the portal.  Moderators are available to assist if problems are encountered.  @Samianauman your reference to 611 is inaccurate. 

@will13am

Try calling 611 from your phone and listening to the system. You'll see that it is entirely possible to buy an add-on over the phone 😉 You won't talk to a CSR, but the automated system will let you buy an addon if you want!

@Raysis

So yes it is possible to buy an add-on by calling 611. I just tried it to be sure (P.S. I am not on legacy plans).

Perhaps you could try this app or this one if you are on Android), which "block outgoing based on a black list" (I haven't personally tried them).

EDIT: An even better solution: Add-ons buying via 611 requires the PIN of the account. Just don't give the PIN to your daughter (or any information she could use to reset it) 😉

Deleted

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The auto pay feature applies to recurring charges.  Add ons are not subject to auto pay.  Manual money transfers are needed to purchase add on.  The credit card on file for auto pay can be used to manually pay for add ons.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
As I said earlier yes you can buy as long you login to self serve and setup once with autopay, then you can dial *611 its all automated but you do have a option to buy add-on or top up by same credit card
Need Help? Let's chat.