cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being overcharged 10$/month for 35$/month plan.

Anna_Vee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I just looked at what other plans are available and realized I'm being overcharged by 10$/month for my exact same cell phone plan plan. At the moment I'm being charged 45$/month and receive the following services :

• 1GB Data
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text
  • voicemail 
  • caller display

These services currently appear to cost 35$/month on the website.

I'm a QC resident, have been with Public Mobile since 2011, and when Telus bought this company my rates started rising slowly over the years, and this plan was eventually no longer available on their website. At some point, my private information was even given to Koodo sales people who kept calling me to offer me other plans, which weren't as good as this one, and I kept declining and asked to be taken off their sales call lists.

I don't know when Public Mobile started offering this plan for 10$ less per month, but I believe I should be reimbursed for being overcharged 10$ for however many months they have been charging less for this specific cell phone plan.
Can someone please help me get my money back?

13 REPLIES 13

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Anna_Vee 

If you would like to get updates o plan changes and promotions, you can go to plans and sign up for email update.

That way you will not miss on savings

Cheers

@Anna_Vee wrote:

There's no mention of which network I'm on on the My Plan page, so I'm likely the 4G. 
Ok, thanks everyone.

@Anna_Vee, I used to be on a similar plan as you with the 4G...when Public Mobile offered the 500 + 500 at 3G, plus the unlimited Canada wide calling for $25, I changed. I found no noticable speed difference. I don't download or stream movies/music so the 3G is perfect....and I saved a few $$. I'm glad I changed over.
 I know it's a hassle but it's the customer responsibility to keep abreast of plan options. You can have a notice sent to your phone whenever there's notice of change but you have to opt into it.

@Anna_Vee Give it a thought, maybe it makes sense to save 20 per month and move to 23 plan (25 with autopay) if you have a friend or family member with public 3g data ask them to let you test it

For the change of plan, positive side is that they don't increase your plan (usually) what you signed up for is what you will have (most of the time). Also they don't spam you with advertisements they assume you know where's their webpage and can check it out any time and switch to any plan almost any time.

Anna_Vee

There's no mention of which network I'm on on the My Plan page, so I'm likely the 4G. 
Ok, thanks everyone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anna_Vee wrote:

What?! It's completely dishonest to start charging less for a service, but keep charging the "loyal" customers who have been with you for years more for said service. I'm suppose to log in every month to see if I'm being ripped off??

@Anna_Vee companies change their offerings regularly, and "grandfather" existing plan holders. This is super-common. Sometmes the plans get better, sometimes they get worse.  Either way, the onus is on you to check.  You could start by subscribing to get email anytime a new thread is posted in the Announcements area.  Instructions here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-How-to-get-notified-of-ANY-New-Promo...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anna_Vee wrote:

How can I check which speed my older plan falls into?

4G plans don't say 4G. 3G plans DO say 3G.

@Anna_Vee see here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-tell-data-plan-speed/m-p/173079/highlight/true#M18780

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anna_Vee wrote:

4G plans don't say 4G. 3G plans DO say 3G.

@Anna_Vee wrote:

Your plan has full speed LTE data.

Anna_Vee

@Anna_Vee wrote:

What?! It's completely dishonest to start charging less for a service, but keep charging the "loyal" customers who have been with you for years more for said service. I'm suppose to log in every month to see if I'm being ripped off??

If they had changed your plans, the complaint would have quite possibly have been that you weren't getting full data speeds any longer. If you wish, you can ask a moderator if they'll make an exception, but yes, it's up to the customer to check for current offerings. Plans do not change automatically, even if they get better.

Anna_Vee

@Anna_Vee wrote:

Hello. I just looked at what other plans are available and realized I'm being overcharged by 10$/month for my exact same cell phone plan plan. At the moment I'm being charged 45$/month and receive the following services :

• 1GB Data
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text
  • voicemail 
  • caller display

These services currently appear to cost 35$/month on the website.

I don't know when Public Mobile started offering this plan for 10$ less per month, but I believe I should be reimbursed for being overcharged 10$ for however many months they have been charging less for this specific cell phone plan.
Can someone please help me get my money back?

Public Mobile actually offers a 500MB+500MB plan for $25.  $35 would actually get you 1.5GB as being advertised if you subcribed to the autopay option.

You haven't been overcharged in the sense that I believe you are on a $45 plan.  This would be a an old plan and I believe that it is actually for full LTE speed.  If you leave that plan, you can take the current $25 plan, but the data will be at reduced 3Mbps speeds while you are connected to the LTE network. 

Sorry, but I don't picture any refund here. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Anna_VeePrices of plans fall all the time. It is up to the user to review the plans and to change to plans which deems beneficial. Do note if you change mid plan, you will forfeit the residual amount of your current plan.

Your plan probably have full LTE speed while the current plans only have capped 3G like speed.

Need Help? Let's chat.