cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged higher than the quoted price

bonnieho
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

bonnieho_1-1635289421783.png

As you can see above, my estimated payment is $23 as I get $2 off for autopay. However, I get charged $25.76 every month. Any ideas what is going on? 

bonnieho_0-1635289376669.png

22 REPLIES 22

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@barndoor 

To add to @CountyDownIeUk post on the how we got rid of the HST in bc one of the most glaring examples was restaurant meals were charged the full gst (12%)which was directly affecting how much servers were tipped (noticeably less). After the HST was redacted restaurant meals went back to be charged gst only. Tips went back up accordingly especially since many tourists were not confused into thinking 12% HST was an automatic gratuity added to the bill.

@barndoor wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Just to clarify. BC sales taxes are side by side.  GST and PST. NO HST here. 

@CountyDownIeUk  ... what difference does it make  other than you have two different agencies gathering money ?

In the case of CCS there was a very old tax rule that they may erroneously continue to use. If an item is shipped from one province to another, no provincial sales tax needs to be withheld.  And is easy for B.C. as we do not have HST. Secondly I am not going to give examples but when GST fist started we had both taxes side by side then some one dreamed up HST and our very weak premier sucked up to the Prime Minister and put it in place without the approval of the people. We got ripped of the way tax rules changed as some services and items were PST free but no longer with HST. So the people had a long hard fight to get rid of it, HST, and we did with the help of a retired premier. 

juanpablo03
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

They always charge taxes. taxes are on everything 😞

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk  ... what difference does it make  other than you have two different agencies gathering money ?

barndoor

@darlicious wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

Just to clarify....it is quite common for a retailer who ships a product to customer in a province where they have no retail locations or businesses will only charge gst on that product. 

@darlicious   : That makes sense re product shipped out of province  according to the BC sales tax act  ...but it is no excuse why you aren't paying PST if you are buying a taxable product within the province ... unless the retailer clicked a different  box as to what the product is ....there seems to me to be room for ambiguity as to the different phone cards and when they are taxable .

@darlicious True but companies have to charge all tax if it's sent to a province with HST.

@CountyDownIeUk 

Just to clarify....it is quite common for a retailer who ships a product to customer in a province where they have no retail locations or businesses will only charge gst on that product. 

@barndoor 

Of course I will right after I recycle the CCS envelopes and put the unpostmarked stamps in the blue bin!😃

barndoor

@darlicious wrote:

@esjliv 

As of two weeks ago I paid $9.45 each for the two vouchers I bought from CCS at 10% off. I live in bc so I assume I am expected to remit the $1.26 in provincial taxes myself to the provincial coffers. If you are a resident of Ontario CCS does that for you.

So ... are you going to remit  ?  😇  🤣

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

BUT!!!! On SIM cards they only charge GST.....and no PST if out of province. To B.C. anyways.  And Johnny is getting a knot in his pants about it. 

For Ontario, PM charge the full tax (13%) for SIM orders

@esjliv 

As of two weeks ago I paid $9.45 each for the two vouchers I bought from CCS at 10% off. I live in bc so I assume I am expected to remit the $1.26 in provincial taxes myself to the provincial coffers. If you are a resident of Ontario CCS does that for you.

@esjliv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@barndoor : They'll charge you taxes at that point of sale of the voucher.

Buy the voucher (or bought for you) in AB however.....

It's also possible that CCS doesn't charge your local provincial tax if outside ON.

@Anonymous , I can confirm CCS DOES charge provincial tax outside of ON on their vouchers.

BUT!!!! On SIM cards they only charge GST.....and no PST if out of province. To B.C. anyways.  And Johnny is getting a knot in his pants about it. 

@hTideGnow wrote:

Would be nice if PM start to show the tax or at least have bold text about tax on top to ease the confusion. 

Thats the norm for prepaid accounts. If you pay $10 and are charged $11.20. $10 to your balance and $1.20 to the governments. I makes sense that you only see prices without tax. 

if you do a top up and hit a key the screen will refresh with taxes included. I print that and use it as a receipt. But those using auto-pay have to remember that taxes are charged.

barndoor

@hTideGnow wrote:

Would be nice if PM start to show the tax or at least have bold text about tax on top to ease the confusion. 

Seems ironic somehow , that they can send you an email that itemizes each of your rewards received and available  but they can't include in the confirmation of payment text how much they took from your credit card or itemize the tax  . 

Yes realize  the tax will be paid somewhere  ...just thought it might make some feel better if PM wasn't taking it off at payment time . 😉  😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

@esjliv : I did not pay provincial taxes 1.5 years ago when they first came on the scene here with their 20% off vouchers. Just GST.

Maybe it's an HST thing. BC has separate taxes. Maybe they've cracked down.

@Anonymous wrote:

It's also possible that CCS doesn't charge your local provincial tax if outside ON.

@Anonymous , I can confirm CCS DOES charge provincial tax outside of ON on their vouchers.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

barndoor

Pay with vouchers and then they won't take the tax off when they take plan payment    ...😇 😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@bonnieho wrote:

bonnieho_1-1635289421783.png

As you can see above, my estimated payment is $23 as I get $2 off for autopay. However, I get charged $25.76 every month. Any ideas what is going on? 

@bonnieho 

You need to pay taxes.

Your Self Serve does not show tax amounts, but credit card charges (edit: or voucher charges) will.

Need Help? Let's chat.