cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for long distance but not a long distance

Houmar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Same as subject, I have a provincial plan wide plan.

I am beeing charge consistantly when I am making a local call. Sometime it would ask me to add the digit 1, to perform my local 10 degit call, but it will charge my call, how do I go about this? Why I am consistantly beeing charge for a free call? I am beside a provincial border, so maybe the system think I am on the other side which is not the case.  please advise

5 REPLIES 5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Houmar wrote:

I am beside a provincial border, so maybe the system think I am on the other side which is not the case.  please advise

@Houmar yes this is a very common situation.  Are you in Gatineau/Hull area?  The problem is your phone may find a stronger signal at times from a tower on the other side of the provincial border.  Public Mobile has no idea you're physically standing in your own province since you are connected to a tower in the other province.  You might do better go upgrade to a plan that includes Canada-wide talk instead.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Houmar wrote:

Hi,

I am beeing charge consistantly when I am making a local call. Sometime it would ask me to add the digit 1, to perform my local 10 degit call, but it will charge my call, how do I go about this? Why I am consistantly beeing charge for a free call? I am beside a provincial border, so maybe the system think I am on the other side which is not the case.  please advise

What exact plan are you on, and how does it fit your current usage pattern?

Would a plan change to one of the special offers, which are all Canada wide calling, make sense? Be aware that you'd have to future date the plan change before April 22 if the one you are interested in is  longer offered as per announcement.

(When I first signed up with Public Mobile I had provincial talk and text only, which, after a number of price reductions, is $25. For the same price I get Canada wide talk, text and 1GB of data.)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Houmar, this sounds like being connected to a tower across a provincial border and being on a province wide calling plan.  That said, "charges" for long distance would only take place is long distance add-on minutes were purchased.  Otherwise, the call will not go through. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Houmar, I don't know what area code you're in, or which province for that matter, but my shared area code of 519, 226, and the new 548 are not all local calls.

It's an area of about 36,000 square kilometres, from the westernmost location near Windsor to other cities such as Guelph, Owen Sound, and even London, these calls are considered long distance, and if only dialled as a 10-digit number, will tell you "you may be charged".  Let message plan, and it will go through.

If you dial (or setup) your contacts with +1 then the 10-digit, the message will go away.

Public Mobile doesn't offer 'local' calling. If you're in Ottawa, wanting to call into Hull or Gatineau. you'll need LD minutes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Houmar wrote:

Hi,

What do you mean "charged"? There are no charges.

Being beside a border *may* be the problem in that your phone might be connecting to a tower on the other side.

Need Help? Let's chat.