cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged PST in Alberta

tr999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, I recently relocated to Alberta from BC and have updated my address, credit card, etc. in my account settings, but it looks like I'm still being charged PST despite Alberta not having PST. My bill is $36 after savings and before taxes, so should be $37.80 total (36*1.05) but it's coming in at $40.32 (36*1.12) which leads me to believe they're still applying the full 12% tax instead of 5%. Any way to get Public to apply the correct taxes?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6

@tr999 voucher as suggested above is a way but you need to remember to do it monthly (or you can top up a bigger amount and let the funds use up, but of course, you still need to remember to top up in time.)

Another way I think will also work is to pay via retail. Not sure if the stores are  around your area

Canadian Tire Gas, Esso, Gateway Newstands, and MacEwen

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/pay-for-your-services-in-retail

@tr999 

You can use your cc to buy vouchers too ,(online or in store) but autopay will charge tax depending on your number. Again you still have your autopay reward and extra data even if payment came from vouchers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tr999 : Correct. But the voucher idea is great. Anybody can do that too. Keep your payment card there, get the autopay reward but pay with vouchers at 5% and the payment card doesn't get hit to be charged 12% (in this case).

Or change your number to an AB number. As it is, people in AB will be calling using their long distance plan (which may not matter with Canada-wide these days). If you change your number then people in BC will be using their long distance plan.

tr999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks, so as far as you guys are aware, no way to keep your BC number and pay with credit card without being charged PST?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You will have to charge your number to local one in AB. If you still want to be local to your friends and family in BC you can always get a free BC number with Fongo. They offer free forwarding.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

It only depends on area code.

You can change your number from selfserve.

If you don't want to change it you can buy vouchers in stores when in Alberta. No worries you still get autopay rewards

Need Help? Let's chat.