cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto pay options aside from the default

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello, I was wondering if there any other options possible to obtain the $2 p/m bonus other than leaving your cc info permanently.

IE: Could you register your card for autopay then make a one time payment let's say $125 then remove the credit card and have the plan continue auto pay until the funds are nearly exhausted and then do another top up?  Issue is I prefer to make it my policy not have my cc info retained online, or anywhere for that matter, whenever possible to mitigate risk of potential fraud.

Thanks!

26 REPLIES 26

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@88cranston wrote:

Has anyone looked at STACK? It looks like absolutely no fees and you can load from your bank acccount (if your bank shows them as a payee). You would not even have to carry the card!!

Comments?? Any one use here??

STACK MC definitely works with PM.  Fund loads from bank (as a bill payment) is slow (3-5 days), and the support for this method is varied (supported by most credit unions, and as far as big banks, supported by BMO and Scotiabank, but not supported by RBC, CIBC, or TD).  However, Interac eTransfer to STACK is fast (1-10 minutes, usually, but usually dependent on the institution it's being sent from).  STACK also has a "virtual" card (number is different from physical card), and both cards can be "frozen" via the app (as an anti-fraud measure), so you can "unfreeze" only when a transaction is planned/anticipated.  This latter feature might be great for real-time online purchases, but not so good for PM autopay unless you are able to remind yourself to unfreeze at the time of a renewal.  It would be suitable for manual PM top-ups though.

I don't personally use STACK for PM, but my ex-spouse does, and I have STACK to facilitate STACK-to-STACK transfers to her for child support payments, etc.  She uses STACK as her daily driver for all purchases...

laceydawn81

@Canlan54a  i use my koho prepaid visa just look up koho visa in google.. its 100% free for 13 months n then if u dont use the card it takes $1 every 90 days.. i have been using it since summer n have had no problems. n when i joined public mobile i used it to do auto pay.. 

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Has anyone looked at STACK? It looks like absolutely no fees and you can load from your bank acccount (if your bank shows them as a payee). You would not even have to carry the card!! But once again someone has your banking information. But thinking more.....I use a checking acccount for PayPal and I load just enough into the account then do my purchase on PayPal. I could take the link away from PayPal and use STACK for my Ebay purchases and some of my online auto-pays (for the less trusted ones based on my gut). See here. 

Comments?? Any one use here??

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a wrote:

Hello, I was wondering if there any other options possible to obtain the $2 p/m bonus other than leaving your cc info permanently.

IE: Could you register your card for autopay then make a one time payment let's say $125 then remove the credit card and have the plan continue auto pay until the funds are nearly exhausted and then do another top up?  Issue is I prefer to make it my policy not have my cc info retained online, or anywhere for that matter, whenever possible to mitigate risk of potential fraud.

Thanks!

@Canlan54a  Do you have more than one credit card. Or can you obtain one that you would use specifically for public mobile? Simply add this specific card to your account and register for autopay. Add a payment to your balance . Then either online if you have registered an account wither the credit card provider or on the phone with customer service put your card on hold. I've had cards on hold for 6 months and put have put the hold on and off. You can leave the card on hold and pay with vouchers or you can take the hold off, log into your pm account and make a one time payment, then put your card back on hold until the next time you want to make a payment. Leave a few extra dollars in your balance in case you need an add on, need to make a $1 payment to reactivate your account in a troubleshooting situation or need to cover your reward amounts in case they are not applied correctly during the renewal process. You get the autopay reward of $2 and your card cannot be charged except during that 10 minutes when you remove the hold to make a payment. The possibility of fraudulent activity in that 10 minutes period is extremely unlikely. For extra security arrange with your credit card company to put a verbal password on your card so customer service will not disclose or allow any action to be taken on your card without it. I have verbal passwords on all of my cards and saved my a$$ when my purse and identity was stolen 2 months ago.

@totalUser wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Talk to your bank. I know Scotiabank  has a reloadable Scene visa that works. Add one month's supply to the account in case you forget and then if it is ever comprised you're out less than $60 and you can cancel your card without further exposure.

Just say....it would work. Would it not be a PITA making sure there was funds on it for PM and for whatever else you used the Scene Visa or any other loadable card. And what cost do those cards incur to load or use and for inactivity?

If you have more than one card....use one card only for online or auto-pays.  One with BEST security options. 

Hi @88cranston 

This is why I do recommend koho card, no fees, small cashbacks, referral program, and works with public mobile. Love it. Keep only $4 on it. They also sent the physical card so I decided to go from $1 to $4 in a case I really need coffee 🙂

Oh my goodness! My brain is slow I posted messages twice and I get lost on here. Someone needs 😴. Sorry! But I agree. 🤣 

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @Canlan54a 

I sent you a link with a pretty safe koho card

It's prepaid, you can keep only couple of bucks there

You email yourself the money for say 3 months or 6 months

You leave it registered to receive the reward, the thing is that with only couple of bucks left on the balance nobody would be able to take anything off of it. 

Many major bank cards have fees, yearly or loading fees. This one may have inactivity fee (0.99 ifi believe) if you don't use it after a year or so I'm not sure anymore, but you should be fine if you are using it with public. Once you are done with it just close the account 

I agree. I set mine up using KOHO and they give you cash back rewards for paying your Public Mobile with it, online shopping, in store shopping, and so on. You can link to PayPal, apple pay. Just e-transfer the amount you want on your card. They also give you referal rewards when you refer someone and they sign up. I am learning ways to save money any way I can. 🤣

@88cranston wrote:

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Talk to your bank. I know Scotiabank  has a reloadable Scene visa that works. Add one month's supply to the account in case you forget and then if it is ever comprised you're out less than $60 and you can cancel your card without further exposure.

Just researched your card. 

Important Notice about Scotiabank Prepaid Reloadable card and SCENE Prepaid Reloadable card

The Bank of Nova Scotia (“Scotiabank”) is discontinuing the Scotiabank Prepaid Reloadable card and the SCENE Prepaid Reloadable card programs (the “Scotia Prepaid Cards”). 

NEW CARDS: We are no longer issuing any new Scotia Prepaid Cards. The Scotia Prepaid Cards are not available for purchase in any of the Scotiabank branches. 

EXISTING CARDS: If you already have a Scotia Prepaid Card, your card will be deactivated after September 30, 2019. Please read below for other key datesapplicable to your card. 

Any other good one out there?. I see Canada Post has them. See Here 

KOHO. It’s a prepaid Visa. You send e-transfers to it. You get points when you pay for things with it (shopping), along with points (cash back) using it to pay Public Mobile account, referral points and so on. 

My solution for this worry is a normal credit card with only a $600 limit. Saves the aggro of adding $ to a prepaid/koho card whenever needed BUT does risk $600. BTW: it took lots of persuasion to get such a low limit! Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Canlan54a

Thanks very much for your suggestion and insights will13am. I have occasionally used this method with other online services. Wasn't sure if it would work or which cards in this instance, but yours and others insights and suggestions on the forum I believe have provided the answers I was looking for. Cheers!

Canlan54a

Many thanks totaluser for your helpful suggestion and pm you sent. Much appreciated!

88cranston

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Just researched your card. 

Important Notice about Scotiabank Prepaid Reloadable card and SCENE Prepaid Reloadable card

The Bank of Nova Scotia (“Scotiabank”) is discontinuing the Scotiabank Prepaid Reloadable card and the SCENE Prepaid Reloadable card programs (the “Scotia Prepaid Cards”). 

NEW CARDS: We are no longer issuing any new Scotia Prepaid Cards. The Scotia Prepaid Cards are not available for purchase in any of the Scotiabank branches. 

EXISTING CARDS: If you already have a Scotia Prepaid Card, your card will be deactivated after September 30, 2019. Please read below for other key datesapplicable to your card. 

Any other good one out there?. I see Canada Post has them. See Here 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Any prepaid visa or mastercard that allows you to register a name and address will work on this service.  I use a prepaid mastercard for certain sites online and for the very purpose of limiting liability should something bad happen.  To use the card for online use, I had to register a name and address with the card.  Once that is done, the card works like any other credit card.  

@88cranston wrote:

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Just say....it would work. Would it not be a PITA making sure there was funds on it for PM and for whatever else you used the Scene Visa or any other loadable card. And what cost do those cards incur to load or use and for inactivity?

If you have more than one card....use one card only for online or auto-pays.  One with BEST security options. 

Hi @88cranston 

This is why I do recommend koho card, no fees, small cashbacks, referral program, and works with public mobile. Love it. Keep only $4 on it. They also sent the physical card so I decided to go from $1 to $4 in a case I really need coffee 🙂

@Canlan54a wrote:

I assume that would also apply to  pm top up cards? Ok then, prepaid visa, mastercards should work?

@Canlan54a  Yes.

88cranston

@ChuckYeah wrote:

88cranston

@popping wrote:

PM is prepaid service and no long term contract.  Adding too much money to your PM account is like locking yourself to a contract because you cannot get your available fund in your account before cancel.

If people is not comfortable using your cc, using prepaid cc is the best option.  You can add as much money to your prepaid cc as you are comfortable with.  Best of all, when you cancel your PM account, you fund in your prepaid cc is still safe.

Absolutely correct......watch how much you prepay! I did that with my last prepaid account and dreaded having to stay on with them. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PM is prepaid service and no long term contract.  Adding too much money to your PM account is like locking yourself to a contract because you cannot get your available fund in your account out before cancel.

If people is not comfortable using your cc, using prepaid cc is the best option.  You can add as much money to your prepaid cc as you are comfortable with.  Best of all, when you cancel your PM account, you fund in your prepaid cc is still safe.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Y ou must register your credit card for autopay and earn rewards. Can't make a payment and then withdraw your cc info. Autopay has to be continuous to earn that reward.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Canlan54a 

I sent you a link with a pretty safe koho card

It's prepaid, you can keep only couple of bucks there

You email yourself the money for say 3 months or 6 months

You leave it registered to receive the reward, the thing is that with only couple of bucks left on the balance nobody would be able to take anything off of it. 

Many major bank cards have fees, yearly or loading fees. This one may have inactivity fee (0.99 ifi believe) if you don't use it after a year or so I'm not sure anymore, but you should be fine if you are using it with public. Once you are done with it just close the account 

Canlan54a

How can i find out which prepaid cc will work?

Thanks!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Canlan54a wrote:

I assume that would also apply to  pm top up cards? Ok then, prepaid visa, mastercards should work?

No autopay reward for topup voucher as it adds fund to your account.

Some prepaid cc can be used for autopay - But not all prepaid cc.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Setting-up-Autopay-using-Prep...

Canlan54a

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You need to register either a credit card or Visa debit card for autopay.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-autopay

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Canlan54a wrote:

Thanks!

No, it isn't possible.  If you remove your credit card that would turn off auto-payment.  Even though you have funds in your account that is not considered as auto-pay.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.