cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Pay didn't work

croftrandle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been on Auto Pay since I started with Public about two years ago with no problem. Payment was due today, July 22. I got my normal text reminder telling me ignore it if I am on Auto Pay so I did. Next I got a message saying I was suspended for not paying! I confirmed this by trying to make a call.

So I went to Self Serve on my computer and checked my Auto Pay. My credit card is registered but I could not check the expiry date on the card. Thinking the card might have expired and been replaced, I entered a new credit card number, gave the system a few minutes to catch up and tried the phone again. Still suspended. I then made a manual payment from the self serve portal using the same card I had just given and now my phone works. Will auto pay pick up the new credit card number and carry on or will the same thing happen next month? Will it attempt to take a second payment for July?

Two years of perfect service from Public and now a half hour of sheer panic! Can they not let us know if a credit card is about to expire? If indeed that was the problem. Very frustrating when you are expecting an important call! Some notice would be appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8

yes, sometimes Autopay is kinda scary.. We keep saying the failure rate is low.. but we see postings about Autopay failed and people scream that they can't reach your kids, or they old age parents don't know what to do , or they need phone back for business... 

But of course, if you need the service and don't want to expose to the risk of Autopay failure, pay upfront... 

canadian100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For years I was on Prepaid Plan (paid the annual amount upfront $100) - must say it has its advantages - you dont have to be concerned if Auto Pay does not work one month and you lose your service.  PM should offer a prepaid annual fee and I would think it would be an incentive for signing up as long as it is competitive with others like Freedom, Telus etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : Again...please note the smiley. Yes I read the thread and started typing. In that time you noticed your tense. Then I replied to that other post along with having noticed your edit. All good. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

you know the system for Autopay sometime failure
but you are doing right job and for next month if your entered a new credit card number, and your address match the same, is will working 100% and your on AutoPay you earn $2 every 30 days,

@computergeek541 : Nice quick edit 🙂

@croftrandle : A tiny piece of clarity from the above post...it's possible the autopay might not be on after your activities. You can verify on your account. Just to make sure.

(it would automatically be off if the remove card option is used)

My edit was a minute later. I looked quickly and no one else had posted yet.  The edit was only to change from current to past tense and added the last sentence about if the same card was being used, the payment for the next renewal should work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

but you are doing right job and for next month if your entered a new credit card number, and your address match the same, is will working 100% and your on AutoPay you earn $2 every 30 days,

@computergeek541 : Nice quick edit 🙂

@croftrandle : A tiny piece of clarity from the above post...it's possible the autopay might not be on after your activities. You can verify on your account. Just to make sure.

(it would automatically be off if the remove card option is used)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

@croftrandle : Is it possible that you turned off or blocked things from here? I have read of people receiving texts saying that their card might need attention.

No there won't be another attempt. You can wait until the next renewal with what you have done.

@croftrandle wrote:

I have been on Auto Pay since I started with Public about two years ago with no problem. Payment was due today, July 22. I got my normal text reminder telling me ignore it if I am on Auto Pay so I did. Next I got a message saying I was suspended for not paying! I confirmed this by trying to make a call.

So I went to Self Serve on my computer and checked my Auto Pay. My credit card is registered but I could not check the expiry date on the card. Thinking the card might have expired and been replaced, I entered a new credit card number, gave the system a few minutes to catch up and tried the phone again. Still suspended. I then made a manual payment from the self serve portal using the same card I had just given and now my phone works. Will auto pay pick up the new credit card number and carry on or will the same thing happen next month? Will it attempt to take a second payment for July?

Two years of perfect service from Public and now a half hour of sheer panic! Can they not let us know if a credit card is about to expire? If indeed that was the problem. Very frustrating when you are expecting an important call! Some notice would be appreciated!

The system will not try again to initiate an autpay payment.  As you discovered, you needed to proceed with a manual payment to get your service working again. You should be fine for the next renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.