cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ampli - 25% cash back for Public Mobile reloads (Targeted/YMMV)

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I found this in my Ampli offers (which I rarely use, but will use now!), and unfortunately it seems highly targeted (not all users will be offered this). Screenshot attached for reference.

It boils down to ensuring your Ampli-linked card is used for AutoPay reloads or manual One-Time Payments at Public Mobile. Transactions posted up to December 4, 2020 will get a 25% cash back (up to $25 maximum per transaction)! This does not work on/apply to voucher purchases at third-party resellers -- the transaction on your credit card/bank account must show as Public Mobile.

If you want to maximize your cash back, and you'll be sticking with Public Mobile for a while, the best way to take advantage of this (if the offer exists for you as an Ampli user, of course) is to pre-load your balance (with up to $100 at a time) -- you can add funds in advance now (or at least before December 4) and the system will automatically draw down from your balance each month. If you're registered for AutoPay, you'll continue to enjoy the $2 AutoPay Reward for having your credit card registered, even if you pre-pay in advance.

Actually, I forgot -- Public Mobile will add applicable taxes to your re-load, so depending on your province's tax rate, you may want to aim for about $95 (in AB), or lower (e.g. $88 if your rate is 13%), so that the transaction including taxes isn't significantly higher than $100.

If you're new to Ampli or you currently have $0 cash back, I recommend doing a ~$60 top-up at Public Mobile. This should yield a $15 cash back from Ampli within a few days, and this is the minimum required to cash out (e-Transfer to a bank account). Of course, the amount you load is up to you... to maximize the earn, ensure transactions (after taxes) do not exceed $100 (maximum $25 cashback per transaction).

If you're not yet an Ampli user, you can find all sorts of sign-up promos, but I found a $10 welcome bonus in the Checkout51 app -- get it by using code AMPLIC51 when signing up for Ampli!

Ampli (backed by RBC) is a cash back incentive and advertising platform that partners with certain merchants/retailers (such as Public Mobile) to promote a brand/company.  You have to "link" your credit card or bank accounts with Ampli (which some people may not feel comfortable with, since it allows Ampli to search/scrape/data-mine your purchases)... but, at least it's backed by one of Canada's "Big 5" banks, and not just some upstart.  I understand it's not for everyone, and I'm not here to convince you to join!

Anyway, just spreading a way to save on an already cheap and wonderful service.  Happy savings!

AmpliPublicMobile.png

12 REPLIES 12

CalgaryBen

@MoreYummy wrote:

so all your ampi account has this offer?

I just have one Ampli account, but I can register the credit card I have linked to Ampli for AutoPay on multiple Public Mobile accounts, and then do a One-Time Payment on each PM account that I'd like to top off, effectively at 75% the regular price after cash back (in my case).

I've read (on RFD) that some users have received an offer but only 10% cash back, so again, YMMV, and unfortunately it looks like not all Ampli users see any offer for Public Mobile.

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

So question...if you have multiple accounts with the same credit card connected are you able to do this with each PM account?

Yes... it just appears on your credit card as multiple Public Mobile transactions, so Ampli should reward each one with 25% cash back if the promo is active on your Ampli account.

Unfortunately, I've since learned not all Ampli users will have this promo... it appears to be targeted based on some unknown criteria.

I manage a few PM accounts, so I'll be topping up all of them with an Ampli-linked credit card to leverage this promo...

so all your ampi account has this offer?

Pawprints1986

I've used one of my linked cards with PM, only once though. I wanted to take advantage of a couple dollars cash back I had built up. So it was only 3 dollars or something, but I did use it, technically... 

I wish these apps would add Brim. I tend to only use any linkable accounts at the grocery store or sometimes the drug store or gas station. But my every day card is Brim as it's 1% cash back anywhere (2% on amazon .ca too)... Maybe buying a PM voucher on a linked credit card is what triggered it?🤔 I never have bought a voucher, just always pay online

CalgaryBen

@esjliv wrote:

So question...if you have multiple accounts with the same credit card connected are you able to do this with each PM account?

Yes... it just appears on your credit card as multiple Public Mobile transactions, so Ampli should reward each one with 25% cash back if the promo is active on your Ampli account.

Unfortunately, I've since learned not all Ampli users will have this promo... it appears to be targeted based on some unknown criteria.

I manage a few PM accounts, so I'll be topping up all of them with an Ampli-linked credit card to leverage this promo...

CalgaryBen

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

I've had ampli for a while now but have yet to see any public mobile offers on mine.... Why aren't they universal as far as what's offered ?

It appears this is targeted.  Unfortunately I'm not sure what criteria triggered Ampli to show this offer to me.

For reference, I just installed Ampli earlier this year, and at the time when I linked accounts, I was not charging my Public Mobile payments to the linked cards (was using top-up vouchers or different credit cards due to better promos).  I'm speculating, but not sure if, this lack of use (but a history of having used the card for PM in the past) triggered the promo.

I also never touched Ampli for most of this summer, and accounts became unlinked (I found it too annoying to re-link accounts).  I dismissed the app as being an annoyance and too much trouble for the benefit, but now that I've re-linked accounts, it's retro-actively giving me cash back rewards for some transactions I didn't even know were eligible... so, extra cash I hadn't counted on.  Gotta like that...

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thanks @CalgaryBen  for the information.  Time to learn more about Ampli.  

I believe you're correct, @cellphoneus

The discounts appear to be user-based so I'm unsure all would get PM deals. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@CalgaryBen ,

25% off - not too shabby. 

I am not familiar with the Ampli app, maybe look that up. Thanks for ALL the info.

@Pawprints1986 Offers sound targeted based on the data history they have about your spemding.

Pawprints1986

I've had ampli for a while now but have yet to see any public mobile offers on mine.... Why aren't they universal as far as what's offered ?

CalgaryBen

@mm80 wrote:

This is a good deal but for the cash back to add to anything signficatnt, a large amount of top up would be needed.  If someone buys $500 of top up total in multiple transactions, that could be a nice payoff, but what if you end up needing the money?

No need to load up to that extent for most people -- even doing a $100 reload, and getting $25 back that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten, to me, is of some value.  You're saying you'd balk at $25 and not bother because it's not significant?

People were eager to jump on the 10% or 15% discounted $10 top-up vouchers from CCS (mad rush to get them before they were out of stock), so I think this will appeal to anybody looking to further reduce the effective cost of their phone bill.  I think of it effectively as only having to pay 75% of my bill... regardless of whether it's on a $15 plan or $50, cash back is cash back!

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is a good deal but for the cash back to add to anything signficatnt, a large amount of top up would be needed.  If someone buys $500 of top up total in multiple transactions, that could be a nice payoff, but what if you end up needing the money? Public Mobile likes this type of promo because it locks you in.

Need Help? Let's chat.