cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative autopay/payment option

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

https://www.koho.ca/

Vouchers offer an alternative payment option for those who cannot qualify for a credit card but miss out on the autopay reward and the peace of mind knowing that if they don't top up their balance before renewal that autopay will kick in to pay for their service and avoid suspension.

However many public mobile customers don't have access to traditional banks credit/debit cards (visa/debit) such as newcomers to Canada (immigrants/refugees), international students, travellers, foreign students w/work visas and low income persons just to name a few examples. Koho an online bank that offers high interest savings, no bank account fees and visa/debit cards to all customers. Signing up online for a savings account with a koho visa/debit card is fast ( about 5 min) and easy and you can recieve your koho card in as little as 5 business days. Load it with as much or as little balance as you like, keep to locked in your app if you prefer and you can register it for autopay on public mobile to recieve the $2 reward.

Even better the koho card comes with "power-ups" additional savings on top of the 0.5% regular cashback on all purchases these can be obtained by referring friends and thru koho's merchant partners.....of which PUBLIC MOBILE is partnered adding an additional power up of 2.0%. This means you get a 2.5% cash back rate when you pay for your plan with a koho visa/debit card.Screenshot_20200423-152352.jpg

Additional info can be found online or in the koho app...

1. PowerUps provide a credit of 0.5% on all settled authorizations.
  2. KOHO users can, at anytime, release accrued credits from within the app.
  3. KOHO reserves the right to end the promotion at any time, no less than 90 days from the initial implementation of PowerUps. Future authorizations or settled authorizations will not be eligible for PowerUps if and when KOHO has discontinued the promotion.
  4. Settled authorizations typically take 3-5 days to settle. KOHO is not responsible for merchant settlement policies or timelines.
  5. 100% of the settled authorization amount is eligible.
  6. PowerUps will not be accrued on any ATM withdrawal, E-transfer, KOHO transfer, Bill Payment or other non-purchase based transaction.

34 REPLIES 34

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Not entirely on topic but it seems that many cards (RBC cash back, Brim, Koho, Rakuten app, Ampli app) share many of the same cash back partners.... 

Id be all set if Brim added public to their in-card or eshop! Thats the card i already use anyway

Public at least for now seems to be unique to koho (and I believe maybe a targeted offer with ampli? theres a thread about it here... but i tried and nothing comes up for them. at least not without a linked account which isnt working for me right now... just signed up to see what it was all about) but hopefully well see more partners soon!

@will13am 

I by no means meant to single you out....you were just the last to respond. Here you can have a whole pie.....unless you feel like sharing.IMG_20171107_194651052.jpg

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  and others.....

Issues regularly raised in the community.....

1. I have a foreign credit card it won't let me register it for autopay what can I use?
  2. I don't qualify for a credit card and my financial institution does not issue visa/debit cards what kind of prepaid card can I get to register it for autopay?
  3. Public mobile isn't recognized by my bank as a reoccurring payment. How do I get the cash back % for paying my public mobile plan?
  4. I don't want to risk registering my credit card for autopay. What can I use that is no risk but still enables me to recieve the autopay reward but still pay with vouchers?

These are all issues pm customers have asked the community to solve for them.....asking for help that the koho card resolves that incurs no extra fees and actually saves them  money and as I discovered today public mobile helps them save even more by becoming a merchant partner with koho.

@iliketotalk  Perhaps you should voice your opinion with @Alan_K about his post here:

Spoiler
Get $20 for Free When You Sign Up for KOHO with the Code PUBLICMOBILE

*This offer will expire on February 14th, 2019.

The holiday season is a lot of great things, but cheap isn’t one of them! That’s why Public Mobile has partnered with KOHO to help you accelerate your savings and earn a little free money too.

KOHO is a financial tech company whose mission it is to make finances simple and transparent. They offer a slick reloadable Visa card and an integrated app. Get real-time insights into your money, automate your savings goals, and earn instant cash-back on all your purchases. KOHO is also free, because paying bank fees is so 2018.

Download the app now to get $20 when you join KOHO with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE.

The Public Mobile promotional code is available to the first 1000 customers.
Offer only available for Public Mobile customers.

Let’s break it down, step-by-step:

1. Download the KOHO app and sign up with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE

2. Add funds to your KOHO account and make your first purchase

3. You don’t have to wait for your physical card to arrive. Shop online instantly by creating a virtual card in the app!

4. Once you make your first purchase, $20 will instantly be added to your KOHO account

KOHO is backed by some of Canada’s leading investors, and your funds are held securely by

Am I special or what?  I am being called out by name rather than by group.  I know exactly what to do.  

Scribbles.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is just as fine a place as any since it's current. Some time ago RobertQc and I had an exchange about these prepaid cards. This is the thread. I eventually settled on the Vanilla brand. Not MyVanilla. I got a big kick out of being able to be anonymous as though like a burner phone.

But they're a bit of a hassle in that you spend them out and they're done. I still use a spent card to satisfy autopay here. So I moved on to a reloadable one from my bank. Works for mobile ordering. So then I remembered mention of Koho around these parts and checked them out. Works for Samsung Pay and of course mobile ordering.

I see Stack is very similar but Mastercard.

The Vanilla's and Koho and Stack are all backed by People's Trust. Although your money held in the card is not insured.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi mpcdesign I had a koho hockey stick growing up so did Wayne Gretzky.

carlaspapa

Hi Brettster I have two referrals so that adds an extra 1% each to my koho cash back so when I pay with public mobile I will get 4.5% back just get some more referrals!

Koho? Okay, I first thought, we are talking about hockey sticks? But, I checked in what board I am in, and it reads 'Paying for your service.'

Okay, so I thought, 'oh, someone is talking about fish,' as I read backwards in the posts until I see that it's referring to a pre-payment card.

I bite, I do a search on Koho. Yep, the first search is hockey sticks! Then, it hurts my brain because it talks about money. Okay, back to watching Peppa Pig with the kids. Sigh!

@darlicious Yes please,just leave it at the end of the driveway ha ha

@iliketotalk 

Virtual hugs is just about all anybody can give these days....its all good. Care for a slice of pie ?20200410_214924-COLLAGE.jpg

@darlicious @Wow I was going beddy bye until I checked the forum 1 last time first I would like to say you are a vital part of this place and I have great respect for your posts it’s just that I didn’t expect to see a two page add for koho lol,yes everyone mentions Walmart or London drugs or whoever here everyday I get it I just want to say I apologize for upsetting you,I would just like to give you a virtual hug if you will except it and say good night 

@will13am  and others.....

Issues regularly raised in the community.....

1. I have a foreign credit card it won't let me register it for autopay what can I use?
  2. I don't qualify for a credit card and my financial institution does not issue visa/debit cards what kind of prepaid card can I get to register it for autopay?
  3. Public mobile isn't recognized by my bank as a reoccurring payment. How do I get the cash back % for paying my public mobile plan?
  4. I don't want to risk registering my credit card for autopay. What can I use that is no risk but still enables me to recieve the autopay reward but still pay with vouchers?

These are all issues pm customers have asked the community to solve for them.....asking for help that the koho card resolves that incurs no extra fees and actually saves them  money and as I discovered today public mobile helps them save even more by becoming a merchant partner with koho.

@iliketotalk  Perhaps you should voice your opinion with @Alan_K about his post here:

Spoiler
Get $20 for Free When You Sign Up for KOHO with the Code PUBLICMOBILE

*This offer will expire on February 14th, 2019.

The holiday season is a lot of great things, but cheap isn’t one of them! That’s why Public Mobile has partnered with KOHO to help you accelerate your savings and earn a little free money too.

KOHO is a financial tech company whose mission it is to make finances simple and transparent. They offer a slick reloadable Visa card and an integrated app. Get real-time insights into your money, automate your savings goals, and earn instant cash-back on all your purchases. KOHO is also free, because paying bank fees is so 2018.

Download the app now to get $20 when you join KOHO with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE.

The Public Mobile promotional code is available to the first 1000 customers.
Offer only available for Public Mobile customers.

Let’s break it down, step-by-step:

1. Download the KOHO app and sign up with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE

2. Add funds to your KOHO account and make your first purchase

3. You don’t have to wait for your physical card to arrive. Shop online instantly by creating a virtual card in the app!

4. Once you make your first purchase, $20 will instantly be added to your KOHO account

KOHO is backed by some of Canada’s leading investors, and your funds are held securely by

@iliketotalk wrote:

@darlicious @What you see as negativity I see as you promoting a business which I don’t agree with this is not the forum for it 

@iliketotalk  Fair enough you dont believe in mentioning other businesses or commercial enterprises on the community. Be sure to refer to a visa/debit card as a credit/debit card. You can refer to american big box stores that often offer a free sim card  with activation and the canadian big box stores cell phone kiosk will often match it. A great place to get a good deal on the umidigi ( can I say that) series of phones go on sale at that online retailer named after the biggest river in the world. You wouldn't want to promote any business regardless of them being a retail or merchant partner with public mobile when you offer advice or help to a member. How you might explain where to buy a voucher to pay for their service without promoting that retail business ill leave up to you.

BearFBI

@darlicious Thanks for sharing this. I have considered getting a Koho card a while ago. Its also great that PM is teamed with Koho. Its great for immigrants that cannot get a bank or debit card but want to qualify for the 2$. I have a few family from Greece comeing up to stay. They were supposed to come months ago but due to COVID-19 it has been delayed. When then end up comeing to canada im setting them up with a Koho card and Public Mobile account.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious good post thanks for sharing! I'll look into this. I have a credit card that gives 1% cash back but 1.5% more in nothing to bock at. Traditional banks give you 0.001thats 250% less than you get with koho. Good find and thanks for sharing. 

cheers

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Well I guess let the criticism begin I guess....i thought that giving an alternative option some attention that is partnered with public mobile could be met with less cynicism. Flag it and get it removed or moved to the lounge if this breaking the rules or offensive to somebody.....

Hey like will13am says...free speech (and I add within limits). I don't care to flag it or move it. It might be close to breaking rules. Certainly not offensive to me.

I'm just amazed.

I can see mentioning them in passing as a reply to folks. But a whole long basically marketing spiel..man.

I get your marketing enthusiasm for Public Mobile. I also quite like Koho. I hadn't recalled that CalgaryBen or you were with them. Somehow I remembered kselmak was and he very nicely provided me a referral.

+1 for the free speech as long is it is not illegal or immoral and maybe a few other not so nice things.  As much as one would try to care about keeping the business side of the community to resolving customer issues, we are just members and not the owner.  This is the evolution of the community which is something much bigger than any member(s).  We all have an equal tiny little voice by way of the bravo button.  If you like what you see, smash the button.  If you don't, move on.  Maybe just hit the button anyway as it is easier to smile than to frown.  

BTW, I would not touch koho myself.  My dividend card pays 4% for food and fuel.  That covers 2 of the 4 essential for life.  

brettster99

@carlaspapa 

How are you up to 4.5% 

I would like to know as I got a referral and getting an additional 1% to go up to 1.5% but with public that goes up to 3.5% for me.

Anything I can do to boost up even more

@darlicious another option is STACK I have used it in the past and it is similar to koho. 

@darlicious @What you see as negativity I see as you promoting a business which I don’t agree with this is not the forum for it 

@iliketotalk 

I just don't see the point of negativity. How would new members feel if their efforts to contribute  are criticized, ridiculed and relegated to the lounge? The community is supposed to be a positive and supportive environment. A place to get help, give help and share ideas.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai 

They seem to have some link to Paypal but I'm not sure how that works.

They apparently reimburse e-transfer fees too.

I happen to have a Samsung phone and was delighted that Koho works with Samsung Pay. Oddly, not Google Pay.

@darlicious : I will back pedal a little on my immediate response. I think it's entirely valid to mention any and all payment methods. Not just a whole thread. Not just in reply in a thread. Not just on pm. My knee-jerk was that it all sounded so marketing-y. Even using some of their marketing wording.

I have Koho for Samsung Pay. I have my banks prepaid reloadable card for mobile ordering and such. I have prepaid gift cards for autopay here on two accounts. Unfortunately my bank card doesn't work for the Pay apps. I could use Koho for everything but I like to spread my risk exposure. The unregistered gift cards aren't reloadable and don't work with Pay apps. I've never registered them so I don't know if the registered version works.

So this leaves my main full-on credit cards with pretty good limits unexposed to phone events.

carlaspapa

This is great news to hear I just recently signed up for koho so I could put it on my account for auto-pay and now I get some extra cash back woohoo! I'm up to 4.5% now.

@darlicious Oh sounds like someone’s getting a little testy

@brettster99 

Thats awesome I'm glad this alternative option is working out for you. I believe like public mobile they work on the eastern time zone.

@iliketotalk  Let's go for it and bring up the whole Dscussions vs Lounge argument again.....we wouldnt want to bury it and try to find some cohesiveness in the community.

@NDesai  All federal and provincial payments are easily deposited (and actively encouraged) via direct deposit. As are most employers pay cheques so i dont see what the problem is with starting with a koho account and using it for your particular needs. Depending on the circumstance acquiring the necessary documentation to open a bank account that you pay for can be achieved later.

brettster99

@darlicious 

I did not even know that public mobile was partnered with them. I just to verify and I am good to go. It screwed up and now I need to send the KOHO team a message. 

It has now been 24hours and no response yet. As soon as I can verify I am jumping on that 

@NDesai @darlicious Yeah my family runs a company for people with bad credit can I promote them on here too ha ha Ha I think this whole discussion Should be moved to the lounge!!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I was close to post something similar, but didn't get a chance to dig deep into KOHO and was exploring other options.

Anyways, you say this is good for "customers don't have access to traditional banks credit/debit cards (visa/debit) such as newcomers to Canada (immigrants/refugees), international students, travelers, foreign students w/work visas and low income persons", but how will they add funds to it? There are only two ways to add funds, e-Transfer and Direct Deposit. Both of these require bank accounts in Canada so i am not sure how they will add funds. 

"Currently, we do not accept cheques or cash, nor can we process wire transfers made to KOHO accounts. If you are attempting to have any of those deposited to your account, please consider the above methods."
https://help.koho.ca/en/articles/499620-options-for-loading-your-koho-card

@Anonymous 

So many public mobile customers lack the ability to register for autopay and recieve the $2 reward that this is my motivation. To pass on the ability to save money....what piqued my interest was the new (?) partnership with public mobile and the 2.5% cash back better than most credit cards. I signed up for it so I could give a first hand account of timelines and experience with it but I've never activated my card.

More than anything I like to share opportunities for the less fortunate in society to get a leg up and enjoy in this case additional savings that most people take for granted. Just the ability to have a phone and a bank account is a luxury for some to have a visa/debit and additional savings  can make a big difference for some.

One searchable post is more accessible than individual private messages to many.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Well I guess let the criticism begin I guess....i thought that giving an alternative option some attention that is partnered with public mobile could be met with less cynicism. Flag it and get it removed or moved to the lounge if this breaking the rules or offensive to somebody.....

Hey like will13am says...free speech (and I add within limits). I don't care to flag it or move it. It might be close to breaking rules. Certainly not offensive to me.

I'm just amazed.

I can see mentioning them in passing as a reply to folks. But a whole long basically marketing spiel..man.

I get your marketing enthusiasm for Public Mobile. I also quite like Koho. I hadn't recalled that CalgaryBen or you were with them. Somehow I remembered kselmak was and he very nicely provided me a referral.

Need Help? Let's chat.