cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account suspended, unable to manually pay using credit card and autopay is not working

daimarauder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wasn't aware of this prior, so I'm not sure what's happening. My account got suspensed today, and I see my account status with "plan expired" on it. I initially signed up for the $50/8gb with promo of $10 off for the first 6 months back in Dec, with autopay.

Everything with PM has been fine until today, where I'm not able to use any cell and data services, which has been frustrating and inconvenient. I tried to reactivate my current plan in self-serve and paying the amount due in my account, but after trying with multiple credit cards, nothing seems to work, as payments aren't able to go through.

I've sent a privage message to the moderator team 10 hrs ago, and I have not gotten a reply. If someone from the mod team or a fellow community user can enlighten me on what's happening, that would be great. It has not been a great day, as it has impacted my work greatly.

Thanks.

59 REPLIES 59

Monica_M
Customer Support Agent

Hi @phonemancan 🙂

Just following up on the case, issue has been resolved, appreciate your feedback. We will cascade the information over our payment team and see how we can improve our internal processes.

Thanks for your time and patience, have a great day!

Best regards,

Monica

Public Mobile Community Moderator

phonemancan

Here is a new update:

The Mod Team finally responded as shown below.

However, there are now 2 new problems…another delay by requesting information already provided and being lied to.

As you will note in paragraph 2 of the ModTeam’s reply, I’m being thanked for “all the information you provided to us, it was very helpful to authenticate your account”. Then in paragraph 5 I’m being asked for the toll-free number on the back of the card, the name of the financial institution and the mailing address where my card is sent. This information was provided in my previous Private Message sent to the ModTeam as shown in the screen shot (edited for privacy) at the bottom of this message. The toll-free number is immaterial as is the financial institution. The “payment department” already knows who the financial institution is just by checking the first 4 digits of the card number. Anyone can get this information from Google and then get the toll-free number by checking the financial institution’s website.

Moderator Monica then goes on to explain the “cause” of the problem in paragraph 3 when she says: “By going through the records, I found out that the reason why it failed, is because there were several attempts of registering the card, and whenever that happens, in order to protect your card information, and to make sure that you're the one requesting those transactions, the system creates some type of lock, and it declines all the changes that you try to make.

The suspension of my service and inability to use AutoPay happened because of a glitch in PM’s payment System and affected numerous other customers too. The “several attempts of registering the card” were done well after the suspension of my and other client’s, accounts even though AutoPay had been previously activated by me and the other individuals.

Monica’s explanation/story doesn’t hold water. I really hate being lied to. As Judge Judy says “Don’t try to piss on my shoes and then tell me it is raining”.

Anyway, it is now 11:50 pm Pacific time. The ModTeam has gone home in Toronto. 3 days have passed without service and I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow for a resolution.

Regards,

@phonemancan

Re: Account suspended, unable to manually pay using credit card and autopay is not working

Hi Dennis 

Thanks for reaching us. Our sincere apologies for the long delay, we totally understand how important it is for you to have your service active, so no worries, we'll definitely help you right away.

Thank you very much for all the information you provided to us, it was very helpful to authenticate your account.

By going through the records, I found out that the reason why it failed, is because there were several attempts of registering the card, and whenever that happens, in order to protect your card information, and to make sure that you're the one requesting those transactions, the system creates some type of lock, and it declines all the changes that you try to make.

My sincere apologies for all the inconvenience this issue might have carried over, but no worries, I'll help you right away, and in this case, it will be necessary for us to send an email to our payment department, and in that way they will be able to unlock it, so you can continue using the same credit card in the future.

I'd really appreciate it, if you could provide us with the following details, to get the credit card unlocked:

• Toll free number showing on the back of the card
  • Financial institution
  • Full mailing address that you provided to your bank (where credit card statement is mailed)

I look forward to hearing from you soon, thanks in advance 
Best wishes,

Monica
Public Mobile Community Moderator

PM ModTeam Screenshot.png

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@daimarauder wrote:

I've been with most of the competitors in the past and I have not once experience something like this with any of them. The only time service are suspended is if I'm 2-3 months overdue on pay and I have not made a single payment after their numerous warnings.

If you value your cell service, I highly recommend you jump ship when you find a decent deal elsewhere. After this incident, I will too. It's too bad, but you get what you paid for.

Did anyone else's posts just disappear? While I'm not sure what happened, my reply seemingly vanished, so I will repost it again and hope for the best:

Just for a little perspective, my dad and I previously jumped ship from Lucky Mobile because of data issues (My dad's data stopped working when he changed plans and my data never once worked). Even after conversations with live customer service members - who assured us they were looking into the problem, our data issues were never solved. So problems can and do happen elsewhere.

The thing is Lucky, like Public, is a discount outfit. I suspect their solutions weren't fast in happening because problems on their bottom tier service are likely low on their priority list.

One good thing did come from our troubles though, we shopped around for other providers and found we could get slightly better plans for less money at Public Mobile. So we switched. Strangely enough, within minutes of switching to Public Mobile, everything (including our data) was working perfectly.  

But I agree, it's never pleasant to run into problems. When/If problems arrive, they should be quickly handled. But it's like you said, in many cases you get what you pay for.

daimarauder

@phonemancan 

I'm the original poster of this thread, and I have my service back since yesterday afternoon. So, please don't claim that the original poster did not receive any communication from the mod team. I made a reply after I got my service back a few pages back. However, it did took 2 days to get sorted, and I was out of service the whole time. I waited 1 day for PM to reply to my first message, and I have to wait another for them to verify my identity, and then got things resolved in a few hours. 

Nonetheless, I do agree with you that PM should handle this better, especially with so many customers affected. They should make a public announcement stating they are having issues on their end with the payment department, and should not have suspend services to their paying customers. Ironically, as a customer on autopay, I shouldn't have to worry about payment issue, and service issue. The incentive to autopay is to have continuous and uninterrupted service, yet, here we are.

It's also appalling as a lot of people on the forum suggests buying credit vouchers or time from recharge.com to reactivate service. I'm incline to do so, as I rationized what if the voucher doesn't work, what do I do then? I was right, as there are a few customers posting they aren't able to pay with vouchers. Even if that worked, it might take up to 2 days for service to reactivate. It's not worth the gamble and hassle.

Indeed, customer service is #1. However, the reason PM can operate with such low cost plans are due to the fact they don't have a store front, or callcenters for customer service. Unfortunately, they opt to use a mod team method instead. At the very least, have that service available 24/7, 7 days a week. I'm on the west coast, but their work hours are in eastern times, so it really sucks for people like me. I'll be in limbo, if I message them during off hours, and not knowing when they'll reply to me. It's just not a satisfying and reassuring customer experience.

Now, will I see PM improve upon circumstances like this? Doubtful, as I think the quantity of customers affected are but a fraction of the total clientele of PM. But, will I recommend others to join PM? Most definitely not, unless the plans are outrageous like $30/10gb, while competitors are $70/10gb at best, hypothetically. I've been with most of the competitors in the past and I have not once experience something like this with any of them. The only time service are suspended is if I'm 2-3 months overdue on pay and I have not made a single payment after their numerous warnings.

If you value your cell service, I highly recommend you jump ship when you find a decent deal elsewhere. After this incident, I will too. It's too bad, but you get what you paid for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phonemancan 

Yup. A couple of folks have written long, passionate, sensible, knowledgable posts about all this. It's terrible. I think we can all agree. But we can't do anything about it. All we can do is wait. All of those affected have to send private messages to the moderators. That's the system.

But keep in mind...there are MANY people that carry on with life as customers here with nary a problem. It *sucks* that this issue is still on-going. It *sucks* that people go days on end with nothing working. Appallingly bad. The communication is useless and everyone is in the dark as to what is going on.

But here we are.

I have two lines and they're working fine. I sympathise with those affected.

phonemancan

Fellow "Public Mobilians" we could go on forever with the symantics of our "rights" regarding account payment.

In my original post I clearly stated the I use AutoPay. That gives Public Mobile authorization to automatically charge my credit card for payment of my account. I have done nothing on my end to change this arrangement and yet, as a result of malfunctioning software used by my cellular service provider, I am without any kind of service. The issue was raised on Thursday May 30th by another PM client. I replied to that post and now it is June 2, four days later and neither the original "poster" or myself have received any communication from the Mod Team at PM.

I find it ironic that employees of a "communications" company don't seem able to communicate with their customers. (When I first joined PM in late December, 2018, it took 12 days to port my phone number from Telus to PM and they are related companies. At that time, it took 8 days to even get a reply from the Mod Team and another 5 days before I had service.) PM had no trouble taking my money but didn't even offer a credit for the 13 days without service never mind providing a quick fix to the problem. 

I don't think PM gets it. Customer service is #1. Without customers there is no need for service. Someone in upper management needs to address the very poor response to technical issues affecting the network and thus their customers, as well as effectively comunicating about such problems and the effort being made to rectify the issues. ModTeam you can't hide under a rock. Talk to us and I'm sure you will find that we are understanding.

Avoid us and I'm sure you will feel our wrath.

So, lets get on with it and make everybody happy.

(By the way, I earned my user name, Phonemancan, by joing the cellular industry in 1986 and stayed in the business, operating 6 cell stores, until I sold my business and retired in 2001. So, I know what makes this industry tick.)

Thanks,

@phonemancan 

chrisbasm

@Luddite wrote:

If you don't have one I can lend you the proper tool for splitting hairs. Robot LOL

Screenshot 2019-06-02 at 7.50.28 PM.png

LOL

If you don't have one I can lend you the proper tool for splitting hairs. Robot LOL

Screenshot 2019-06-02 at 7.50.28 PM.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisbasm wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@phonemancan wrote:

Not to split hairs, but I should have been more specific. Below is the actual text from the CRTC website where wireless service is clearly mentioned. I have taken the liberty of highlighting the appropriate text.

"Do you pay before you use your wireless service? If so, you have the right:

• to cancel your contract at no cost after a maximum of two years
  • to have your service suspended at no cost if your phone is lost or stolen
  • to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage
  • to a minimum grace period of seven calendar days in order to “top up” and retain your prepaid balance"

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Then I re-examine line 2 for other reasons.

We can use the lost/stolen feature. But it does in a way cost us. It doesn't pause the days of the term. The term runs out even under the self-suspension. Or so I understand from reading here. I think I'll test it out.

My guess would be that the 'at no cost' means that there is no cost to stop the service if you loose your phone.  That is, they can't charge you $25 to suspend service.

My 2 cents.

Yeah you're probably right...not as an additional fee...but it does kinda cost us. If it paused the 30 day term (or 90) then that wouldn't cost us. But as it is we still pay for the service even though we're not using the actual service. Would they think of it as merely an account placeholder fee? Or like other providers that charge a vacation pause? Is it all implied?

chrisbasm

@Anonymous wrote:

@phonemancan wrote:

Not to split hairs, but I should have been more specific. Below is the actual text from the CRTC website where wireless service is clearly mentioned. I have taken the liberty of highlighting the appropriate text.

• to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage
  • to a minimum grace period of seven calendar days in order to “top up” and retain your prepaid balance"

We can use the lost/stolen feature. But it does in a way cost us. It doesn't pause the days of the term. The term runs out even under the self-suspension. Or so I understand from reading here. I think I'll test it out.

My guess would be that the 'at no cost' means that there is no cost to stop the service if you loose your phone.  That is, they can't charge you $25 to suspend service.

My 2 cents.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phonemancan wrote:

chrisbasm

@Anonymous wrote:

@phonemancan wrote:

Not splitting hairs. All good. Just trying to figure out legalities. I interpret the last line as that you have some funds in your account but not enough to pay the prepaid plan. Your account goes into suspension for lack of payment. This "right" is telling the company that they can't just drop you from the rolls inside of 7 days and take the bit of money you had left.

Turns out that for Public Mobile that "grace period" is 90 days.

That's how I interpret the line of interest.

I don't think it's to do with the actual service that the company is providing.

Have to agree with @Anonymous .  Minimum 7 days grace to allow the user to top up and 'save' the account from being wiped out.  Doesn't mean the service must still be provided.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phonemancan wrote:

Not splitting hairs. All good. Just trying to figure out legalities. I interpret the last line as that you have some funds in your account but not enough to pay the prepaid plan. Your account goes into suspension for lack of payment. This "right" is telling the company that they can't just drop you from the rolls inside of 7 days and take the bit of money you had left.

Turns out that for Public Mobile that "grace period" is 90 days.

That's how I interpret the line of interest.

I don't think it's to do with the actual service that the company is providing.

phonemancan

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phonemancan 

It's not saying service...just balance.

(not defending PM and these endless payment problems they've been having)

phonemancan

@GinYVR 

Thanks for the information.

The CRTC Wireless Code states that for prepaid cellular customers they have the right "to a minimum grace period of seven calendar days in order to “top up” and retain your prepaid balance."

This being the case, NO ONE should have their service suspended until after 7 calendar days from the date the prepaid amount was due!

Okay Public Mobile, LETS GET ALL THESE CELL SERVICES RE-ACTIVATED NOW !!!

@CS_Agent 

phonemancan

Hi @Jujules 

I appreciate the support. It feels good to know that someone is listening.

I only wish that "someone" was a member of the Mod Team. Anyway, thanks again.

They say "patience is a virtue" so what's another day without cell service.

Regards.

Jujules
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You are 100% correct. It is an IT issue that needs to be resolved by PM. My card expired and I failed to update it with PM, so I get why it did not go through for me. However, when I go to replace my card on the site I am getting an error message. I updated my card with Ebay, Amazon, Paypal and World Vision and there was no problem updating it on these platforms, and I have been able to make purchases since updating.

I understand that all companies have problems from time to time, and IT problems are the absolute worst, but someone at Public Mobile should be addressing this, letting clients know of an expected ETA and apologising profusely for the inconveneience. If it was not for WhatsApp and wifi I would not be able to keep in communication with my family, and I am babysitting two young children today so I need my phone service in case of any unforseen issues.

@phonemancanYou can always make a complaint to CCTS

Also do note the consumer bill of rights at CRTC. Do note there is no mention of method of payment or autopay.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phonemancan wrote:

I will go to Walmart's Kiosk shortly to buy a voucher. As I noted in a previous post, "The account suspensions and the lack of a functioning manual payment method or AutoPay payment application is NOT the client's responsibility! Public Mobile should not be passing on suggestions that a client go out and buy a voucher to restore his or her cell service when the problem clearly stems from malfunctioning software on PM's website."

Nowhere in the features of my plan does it say "that a client should go out and buy a voucher to restore his or her cell service as a result of a PM screw-up."

Public Mobile needs to resolve this issue ASAP.

Absolutely agree. It's ridiculous. But here we are.

By the way...most people here aren't officially Public Mobile employees suggesting to go buy vouchers. We're just fellow customers trying to help with your phone service.

phonemancan

I will go to Walmart's Kiosk shortly to buy a voucher. As I noted in a previous post, "The account suspensions and the lack of a functioning manual payment method or AutoPay payment application is NOT the client's responsibility! Public Mobile should not be passing on suggestions that a client go out and buy a voucher to restore his or her cell service when the problem clearly stems from malfunctioning software on PM's website."

Nowhere in the features of my plan does it say "that a client should go out and buy a voucher to restore his or her cell service as a result of a PM screw-up."

Public Mobile needs to resolve this issue ASAP.

phonemancan

I have talked several times with my CC provider.

Not only have NO charges gone through but they say there have been NO attempted charges to my account in the last 48 hours from Public Mobile.

It appears that payment attempts/autopay are not being forwarded from Public Mobile to the CC providers. This must be a software issue within PMs web site.

@phonemancan Check your cards to be sure no charges have gone through.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phonemancan wrote:

I just thought I should provide an update on the "Account suspended, unable to manually pay using credit card and autopay issue".

I decided to try three (3) of my other credit cards as well as my Visa Debit card. All 4 attempts to re-activate my account by paying online FAILED !!! 

So...what are the chances the problem lies with Public Mobile's payment application?

Please Mod Team get this fixed.

Thanks

(I will private message the Moderators as well with this post.)

Yes. They've been having a world of trouble since about mid-March by my reckoning.

Have you tried a voucher? Either from a store or online vendors?

phonemancan

I just thought I should provide an update on the "Account suspended, unable to manually pay using credit card and autopay issue".

I decided to try three (3) of my other credit cards as well as my Visa Debit card. All 4 attempts to re-activate my account by paying online FAILED !!! 

So...what are the chances the problem lies with Public Mobile's payment application?

Please Mod Team get this fixed.

Thanks

(I will private message the Moderators as well with this post.)

phonemancan

From what I am seeing from posts on this issue, it is being suggested that a customer "run" to the nearest Walmart, London Drugs, Shoppers etc. and purchase a voucher to top up their account, re-activate their PM plan and restore their cell service.

The account suspensions and the lack of a functioning manual payment method or AutoPay payment application is NOT the client's responsibility! Public Mobile should not be passing on suggestions that a client go out and buy a voucher to restore his or her cell service when the problem clearly stems from malfunctioning software on PM's website.

Have some balls PM, own up to your responsibility for the issue and get the problem fixed!  Your mistakes have already caused inconvenience to numerous customers and yet there never seems to be an apology offered or a "service credit" presented to your clients.

The suggestion that, because of the low prices at PM a customer should go to another carrier if he or she doesn't like the response time from the Mod Team, is ridiculous.

@CS_Agent 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phonemancan wrote:

Is there any special moderator who should be contacted about this problem? I see a reference to "Alex G", a mod who helped a customer with a similar issue. Should he be contacted directly? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No. There's no short-cutting the queue. Did you send a message to the @Moderator_Team < Click this.

phonemancan

Is there any special moderator who should be contacted about this problem? I see a reference to "Alex G", a mod who helped a customer with a similar issue. Should he be contacted directly? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

daimarauder

Contact their mod team like I did, if you haven't already. That's the only solution that will sort it out. I tried other solutions mentioned by other posters here, but none worked.

And yes, I had the same message pop up when I tried to pay manually. I guess something went wrong on PM's payment system, but no announcements was made addressing the issue. It's especially bad when it happened exactly during my renewal period, and I was out of service for 2 days, and it impacted my work.

There were others that had similar issues too, and hopefully PM will actively look into it to resolve them, and prevent it from happening in the future. Good luck.

phonemancan

I'm having the same issue. My account is suspended even though my CC is registered and has been chargedv religously every month until today. The message I receive when trying to pay manually is:

"Unable to Process Transaction
Sorry, we are unable to verify your credit card information, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged."

I contacted TD Bank and they advised me my CC has NO outstanding balance and that they can see NO attempt by Public Mobile to charge my account in the last 48 hours. PM you have a problem !!! 

Need Help? Let's chat.