cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentially missed the 90 days deactivation and lose phone number

a979039
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My dad is away from the country.  I accidentially miscount the days and caused the account to be deactivated.  I can restart the whole process but is there a way for me to secure the same number?  I really need this numver badly. 

19 REPLIES 19

@a979039 wrote:

Omg,  so even the Mod cant do anything now?  so i have to go talk to fido? 

Fido porting dept. 1 866 771 7717 m-f  8am edt-9:30pm  s-s 9am edt-8pm    Good luck!

@a979039 wrote:

Sigh, not like i purposely want to leave PM or close the account,  just a pure mistake. I can stay with PM if i the Mod can help. Me secure the number.  My only hope now is to get back the number.  Thats the biggest deal.  I am a mess now.  Guess i will have to talk to fido tomorrow and see. 

I feel for you...nobody wants to talk to fido. Butvplay nice tell them how much the number means to your dad etc.... try your best but a one month prepaid is better than losing the number to fido that dirty dog.

@a979039Just note numbers in area code 416 or other "traditional" area codes.. they tend to go very quick.

a979039

Sigh, not like i purposely want to leave PM or close the account,  just a pure mistake. I can stay with PM if i the Mod can help. Me secure the number.  My only hope now is to get back the number.  Thats the biggest deal.  I am a mess now.  Guess i will have to talk to fido tomorrow and see. 

@a979039Unless you open another Public Mobile account, I don't know if the moderators can help you.

There are variables eg how long ago did you let the account lapsed. Even if you get a Fido account, they might not allow you to get that particular number. Since all these things are automated, things might happen in the middle of the night, someone might grab the number when they activate online.

I would suggest approach a larger Fido only retailer to see if they have any procedural tricks that can help you. In fact you might want to activate 2 accounts, 1 with Public Mobile and 1 with Fido, just in case either one have control of the number.

@a979039 wrote:

That's a tough one they will probably give you the hard sell. If it's that important...find out what their cheapest non contract plan is and activate it to get the number. Then suffer thru a month of bad service and port the number back to pm.

@a979039 wrote:

Look at the upside....now you can get a deal on a new activation for your dad. You can get the referral bonus and cross your fingers you might get the number back. Submit a tot via Simon (?)  Sooner than later at promo time. Take advantage of the promo...get a temporary number and pray for a small miracle.

a979039

@a979039They own the exchange. The control of the number returns to them once you forfeit your control over it when you let Public Mobile close the account.

a979039

But i thought I transferred to PM long time ago,  how can it still belong to fido? 

@a979039That belongs to Fido.. if the number is out of Public Mobile's control.. they will be the one to look for the number.

a979039

@a979039If you don't mind what is your area code and the first 3 digits? It is very easy to look up who owns the exchange.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@a979039 wrote:

My dad is away from the country.  I accidentially miscount the days and caused the account to be deactivated.  I can restart the whole process but is there a way for me to secure the same number?  I really need this numver badly. 

No promise but only moderator can assign a number to you if deactivated recemtly. You have to hope it's still available.

a979039

I kept trying to reach them but think they may be went offline.

a979039

I think this was transferred was outside of telus group,  but thays was a few years ago. Just had this account on suspend ans miscounted the days. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

You could appeal to the PM Mods. I don't think they can do anything to rrcovrr the number at this point but you never know, they do have inside contacts at Telus. 

My understanding is that account Termination is final closure. The SIM card is permanently deactivated and the linked phone number is deallocated into a holding pool (for 6 months) before it becomes available for reassignment to subscribers - up for grabs, it might languish unwanted indefinitely, it might be grabbed by the first person who sees it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a979039 wrote:

Oh dear. You got some 'splainin' to do. Was the number picked up here on activation and no transfers? If a transfer, did it come from Telus or Koodo? If so for both then the mods could probably get it back for you. But you'll need a new SIM and a new account with another new email address.

If none of the above then you may have lost that number. Wherever it came from maybe you could sign up with them again and beg for them to give you the number once it comes back to their pool.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@a979039It depends where the number originates.. if the number was ported in.. then the number will likely be returned to the company that owns the exchange. Eg if you port the number from Rogers to Public Mobile.. then once the account is gone, then the number returns to Rogers.

If the number is from Telus group of company you might be able to ask the moderators about it.

There are a lot of variables.

Need Help? Let's chat.