cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTN: PUBLIC MOBILE - There is a Bug in Your Manual Payment Page.... Please Fix It!

nalorin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Here's the deal... I paid my brother's balance the other week, because he was having issues with his credit card. His balance said $123.00 ***for privacy reasons, this is not the actual amount*** and had no indication of GST, so I assumed it was included.

So, I made a MANUAL payment, and MANUALLY entered an amount to pay, of exactly $123.00. I got a confirmation message saying $123.00 would come off my credit card. I told my brother that was the amount he owed me, and he immediately paid me back $123.00

However, on my credit card bill, I was charged $129.15 (again, not the real value, for privacy reasons)... which is $123.00, PLUS 5% gst ($6.15).

Now, I have to ask my brother to pay me the GST money, too (because it wasn't included in the payment, like it should've been).

********** PUBLIC MOBILE ************

PLEASE fix this bug in your website... GST should be clearly displayed before any payment confirmation and, when a payment amount is specified by the user, the GST should be included in that amount, not added to it.

19 REPLIES 19

franchesca

@geopublic wrote:

@franchesca wrote:

"The end result value that matters to the company is shown."

Thats where I am confused. That transaction history page is aimed at the customer.....not the company. I have never seen a customer transaction history listed in such a way. I find it bizarre. I want to know what my card has been charged, end of story. Not have to pull out a calculator to add GST. Not have to sign in to another website to see what I was charged.

Transaction history, MY transaction history, as the customer, includes tax. I hope they change this.

@franchesca  Makes perfect sense to me. When I add $20 to my funds that is what I want to see. The tax portion goes to the tax man not my balance so I don't want to see that in my history. It's the same when you shop. Let's say you go to a store to by a suit. The price of the suite is listed at $400. When you pay at the counter you get charged $400 plus tax. Where is the problem? 

The problem is I dont know what has been auto charged to my credit card.

Also my own **bleep** fussing at things being done incorrectly....... Smiley Embarassed

My reciept at the store shows the tax, but this transaction history does not. Its incomplete!

Waaaaggghhhh! Obvo not the end of the world, and now I know, but just a bit odd way of doing things is all.

I shall survive. Thanks for the input!

franchesca

Agreed, no war 🙂  

It just caused me a great deal of confusion. I now know.

Just irritating is all. I will get over it!

Just learning the ropes, bear with me.

Thanks everyone!

@franchesca wrote:

Thats where I am confused. That transaction history page is aimed at the customer.....not the company. I have never seen a customer transaction history listed in such a way. I find it bizarre. I want to know what my card has been charged, end of story. Not have to pull out a calculator to add GST. Not have to sign in to another website to see what I was charged.

Transaction history, MY transaction history, as the customer, includes tax. I hope they change this.

@franchesca  Makes perfect sense to me. When I add $20 to my funds that is what I want to see. The tax portion goes to the tax man not my balance so I don't want to see that in my history. It's the same when you shop. Let's say you go to a store to by a suit. The price of the suite is listed at $400. When you pay at the counter you get charged $400 plus tax. Where is the problem? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@franchesca wrote:

Sure. Sounds great. Don't hold your breath. It's just how it is. It's not something I would go to war over. But that's me.

franchesca

Anonymous
Not applicable

@franchesca wrote:

OK Under the tab "transaction history", this is what I get:

I find this very misleading. This is NOT a transaction history, this is some sort of overview only. It says payment of eg 21 dollars, that is FALSE, the payment was MORE than 21 dollars. This page is extremely poorly carried out.

@franchesca 

Well...I think it's always been thus. The only amounts a company cares about are their monies. Taxes are external to them. In this case, the line I like to use is that NEW money coming in to the account is taxed at the source ie. in-store for a voucher or on the payment card. The end result value that matters to the company is shown.

franchesca

OK Under the tab "transaction history", this is what I get:

I find this very misleading. This is NOT a transaction history, this is some sort of overview only. It says payment of eg 21 dollars, that is FALSE, the payment was MORE than 21 dollars. This page is extremely poorly carried out.historyhistory

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nalorin, I was busy taking screenshot while you already posted an update saying now you see the taxes too.  So disregard my screenshot comment.  Cheers.  

srlawren

@nalorin now seeing the page in @imm1304's screen shot above, I actually recall seeing this page several times in the past and it's always shown me the tax amount.  I'm sorry but I think you were mistaken.  Regardless, I'm glad you can see the amount now, and that things are working as they should  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nalorin
... unless it was already a known issue long ago and was just fixed recently....

imm1304

@srlawren, I had an issue earlier this year where the system charged me the wrong amount in error.  Then I just left money in there along with some from last year.  Hopefully I will use it up some time soon 😄

PS:  I blocked it out 😛

srlawren

@imm1304 $xxx?!?!  Are you stockpiling available funds?  LOL.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Not sure what you are talking about.  I just tested it and as you can see in the screenshot below, it clearly shows taxes on the pyament page:  

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 8.03.43 PM.png

srlawren

@nalorin wrote:

Can confirm... they have since updated their payment page to correct this.

My apologies, everyone, this thread is no longer valid.

@nalorin I can almost guarantee you they would NEVER fix an issue, were it present, that quickly.  I think you either initially experienced a glitch, or were mistaken with what you thought you saw.  Trust me, typical turnaround time on system issues is between weeks and years.  

nalorin

Can confirm... they have since updated their payment page to correct this.

My apologies, everyone, this thread is no longer valid.

nalorin

@Mana

I am a VERY tech-savvy person and I paid VERY close attention to the payment page and looked SPECIFICALLY for ANY mention of GST. Either A) they have recently updated their one-time payment page, or B) you are sorely mistaken.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Sorry but this is not a bug. As @imm1304 mentioned on the last page before payment, it shows you the price breakdown and taxes.  The find amount charged is included applicable taxes. 

Thanks 

nalorin

Yes, it *should have* listed the GST or, *at the very least*, indicated that GST would be added to the amount entered.

Ideally, the confirmation page *should have* said:

$117.14 + $5.86 (gst) = [ $123.00 ]

where the black amount is the amount entered by the user, and the green amount is the amount applied to the account.

Every other business in the world that charges GST will correctly exhibit this behaviour. I've done web development and know that this is a VERY SIMPLE fix for Public Mobile, and just want them to fix it, so that it doesn't cause the same frustration for other users.

imm1304

Hey @nalorin, all $ amounts shown in selfserve are pre-tax amounts.  However, on the final confirmation on the payment page should have listed the breakdown of the $$ + Tax = $$ as the actual amount to be charged to your card.  

Need Help? Let's chat.