cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX not accepted?

aztec
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm trying to enter my AMEX card to auot-pay and it's not working. The message I'm getting is this: Unable to Process Transaction 
Sorry, we are unable to verify your credit card information, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged.

does anyone know if Public Mobile accepts AMEX or why this isn't working for me?

26 REPLIES 26

@jeeva86 A card needs to be on autopay for you to get the $2 reward. You card may be locked from too many attempts contact the moderators and ask them to add it for you. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on "Account specific question" and  "No I want a human" and "Submit a ticket Click me!")
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Submit a ticket to a moderator by clicking on the question mark on the bottom right.

jeeva86
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

bump, any update on this? my amex charge card(3 months old) passes the validation of adding the card to my profile, but when i try to make a one time payment, i get failures. I've matched case from my amex statement as well. I've just tried to delete and start over and now the card isn't even getting registered!

Btw, even if I make a one time payment or load up via a voucher, I assume I won't lose the $2 autopay discount?

aztec

Yes, I use it for other purchases

aztec

@Anonymous

yes, I've used it with other online retailers. not phone companies but I've used it for online shopping and in stores.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aztec wrote:

@CalgaryBen

it's a new AMEX account (within a week or two). Perhaps this is the reason?! I can wait and try again maybe next month..

yes, issued by AMEX.

address has changed but that was 6 months ago. 

I'll try the AMEX app thanks. I don't get paper billing, only email 🙂

Do you use it for any other online purchases? Some cards are antsy about that until you say you want to be able to.

aztec

@CalgaryBen

it's a new AMEX account (within a week or two). Perhaps this is the reason?! I can wait and try again maybe next month..

yes, issued by AMEX.

address has changed but that was 6 months ago. 

I'll try the AMEX app thanks. I don't get paper billing, only email 🙂

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aztec wrote:

@CalgaryBen

Thank you for your answer.

I phoned AMEX and asked them how all my info appears on their side and tried several times but it's still no go.

I'll wait until my first bill arrives and try again.

Has your account with AmEx been established for a few months (i.e. not new)?  Has your address remain unchanged for the last few months?  I presume it's issued by AmEx Canada, correct?.  If "no" to any of these questions, then they might be clues to the challenges you're encountering.  Unfortunately the validation process only gets a "pass" or "fail" from issuer, and not a reason for failure (probably for security purposes).

As a side note, if you haven't already done so, I highly recommend installing the AmEx app.  I use it to view my statements, and I also get push notifications in real-time for all transactions. I can't imagine going back to paper billing!

aztec

@CalgaryBen

Thank you for your answer.

I phoned AMEX and asked them how all my info appears on their side and tried several times but it's still no go.

I'll wait until my first bill arrives and try again.

Thanks for following up again @CalgaryBen.  

CalgaryBen

@aztec wrote:

what did you do or how did you get your AMEX to work with your auto-pay?

it's still throwing up errors for me.

As everyone has alluded to, the name/address has to match your bill exactly (perhaps even matching case).  Here are the steps I took:

I already had Auto-Pay enabled/enrolled with my MC, and changed the card to AmEx as follows:

• From the self-serve portal, I clicked on "Payment" tab, clicked on "Manage my card" link near the bottom of the page. On the next page, I clicked on the "Replace this credit card" link.
  • From the "Register Credit Card" page, I simply filled out the fields. CVV2 is the 4-digit code on the front of the card. Name and address were entered exactly as they appear on my statement (i.e. don't replace full/abbreviated forms such as AVE for AVENUE or vice-versa, etc.), and postal code with no spaces. Although I'm not certain about this being a requirement, I also ensured the case matched my bill (in my case, uppercase for my first/last name, and mixed case for address).
  • Upon completing this and clicking "Register", I saw: 
    Your credit card registration has completed for the following card: ***************, MM/YY
    VIEW PAYMENT HISTORY RETURN TO OVERVIEW [Manage AutoPay] 

(It showed the first 6 and last 4 digits of card, plus expiration date; I've obscured for security reasons.)  Obviously if this is where your error is occurring, then the validation part isn't working, and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot since it worked for me on multiple occasions.

• I then clicked on "Make a Payment" and selected the "One Time Payment", and added $1.00 to my account as a test/validation step. My AmEx app immediately pushed a notification to me regarding the $1 charge.

@aztec, did you try the 4 digit code, instead of the 3 digit code?

aztec

Hi,

what did you do or how did you get your AMEX to work with your auto-pay?

it's still throwing up errors for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aztec wrote:

hi, thanks for the suggestion. I've never used recharge.com, do they charge any extra fees?

I think paypal charges a fee but only to the seller. 

Yes they charge a fee but if you don't live in Alberta then the total cost comes out to be a tiny bit less than if you bought in a store with all the relevant taxes.

CalgaryBen

@stonechucker wrote:

Signup/Account creation doesn't work, but AutoPay does.

This is 100% true in my experience.  I couldn't use my AmEx during account creation (had to use my MC), but once all was up and running, I went in and successfully changed to AmEx for AutoPay.  I'm using the same AmEx for a couple PM accounts on auto-pay with no issues.

As a consumer, sometimes using AmEx is a bit more pain (not all merchants accept, some don't even know if they accept it until trying, and some accept it but POS terminals aren't always set up for "tap", etc.), but the slight edge in cash back rewards makes it worth my while.  As a merchant, there's typically a 1% differential in fees, so I know I'm hated for using AmEx sometimes... just the cost of doing business these days!

aztec

hi, thanks for the suggestion. I've never used recharge.com, do they charge any extra fees?

I think paypal charges a fee but only to the seller. 

I remember two things about Amex cards here and do not know if they are still an issue.

The 3-digit code for AMEX is actually 4-digit and may be on the front of the card, rather than the back.

Signup/Account creation doesn't work, but AutoPay does.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@aztec Amex is accepted but has been notoriously difficult to get accepted; mine has been accepted but not yet gone through an autopay cycle.

Things to try:

a) wait until tomorrow

b) clear browser's cache and use incognito/private mode

c) use a different browser

d) delete your current card, then add a new card being careful that name & address matches your Amex account exactly

When all else fails click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue along with your phone number and 4 digit PIN. If you’ve forgotten the PIN, provide any 3 of the following in your message: complete mailing address, email address, alternate phone number,  last top up date & amount.

Moderator hours are: Monday to Friday, 9 am (ET) to 9 pm (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9 am (ET) - 7:30 pm (ET). Sometimes they answer within in 24 hours, but can take a few days.

Do not send multiple messages. This pushes you further back in the queue as the system takes into consideration your most recent message.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@aztec

The PM website is finicky.  Try the above suggestions.  Also, maybe try a different web browser, clearing cache and trying incognito/privacy mode on browser.  The address should match exactly as your credit card billing statement.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

One of my PM account is using AmEx charge card as autopay.  It had been working for the last few renewal cycles.

I just checked my autopay CC on self-serve.  It is showing the first 6-digits and last 4-digits of my AmEx charge card - NOT AmEx credit card - I don't know whether it makes any difference at PM.

I'm standing corrected. According to this reference, it's Visa, Mastercard, American Express credit cards. Interesting that you're using an Amex (what you're calling) charge card. Isn't that really basically the same idea?

So @aztec...no unit # in the unit field, addressess matching exactly, possibly no space in the postal code.

AmEx charge card does not have a preset spending limit. AmEx Charge card cannot carry a balance and must be paid back on the statement due date.  Interest charge is over 30%  AmEx Gold Reward card is a charge card. 

AmEx credit card has a preset credit limit.  You can carry a balance.  Lower interest rate around 20%.  AmEx Simply Cash card is a credit card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

One of my PM account is using AmEx charge card as autopay.  It had been working for the last few renewal cycles.

I just checked my autopay CC on self-serve.  It is showing the first 6-digits and last 4-digits of my AmEx charge card - NOT AmEx credit card - I don't know whether it makes any difference at PM.

I'm standing corrected. According to this reference, it's Visa, Mastercard, American Express credit cards. Interesting that you're using an Amex (what you're calling) charge card. Isn't that really basically the same idea?

So @aztec...no unit # in the unit field, addressess matching exactly, possibly no space in the postal code.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RobertQc wrote:

@aztec wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to enter my AMEX card to auot-pay and it's not working. The message I'm getting is this: Unable to Process Transaction 
Sorry, we are unable to verify your credit card information, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged.

does anyone know if Public Mobile accepts AMEX or why this isn't working for me?

@aztecPM does not accept Amex.

I think the best question is, who does accept amex? The list of stores that do take amax is smaller than the ones that don't.

Amex charges retailers too much money.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/retailers-accept-american-express/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aztec:

Paypal takes Amex. You can buy vouchers online from recharge.com and they take Paypal. Then you can enter the voucher into Public Mobile.

recharge.com is barely cheaper than buying vouchers in a store for almost all of the country. Not Alberta.

But it sure is convenient.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@aztec wrote:

Hi,

@aztecPM does not accept Amex.   Apparently they do!? Amazing.

I think the best question is, who does accept amex? The list of stores that do take amax is smaller than the ones that don't.

Amex charges retailers too much money.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/retailers-accept-american-express/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aztec wrote:

Hi,

Edit: I'm standing corrected.

1. They do not.

2. Because they don't take Amex.

Need Help? Let's chat.