cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A strange deduction

w335774225
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Last night after my mobile phone number was successfully completely transferred, my credit card received a PM charge.
But I don't know why.

PM.jpgPM2.png

49 REPLIES 49

@SD08 wrote:

It's true that oracles have a way to determine the original message to which the member replied, but as @computergeek541 mentioned, it's not because the messages are displayed differently to us.  Since oracles have the ability to edit other members' posts for forum housekeeping purposes, I just clicked edit on that post and then clicked the quote button to reveal the original post and author they were replying to.  From there, it's a matter of looking upthread or looking through the author's message history for a matching post title.

@SD08, I like your way better and did not think it until you mentioned it to me.  Oracles do have ways of figuring it out, but it's a bit time consuming. Even the strange way that I mentioned would work but it would take even longer.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

I paid the sim card before

Are you sure you don't have another account using the $10 plan? A kid? A spouse? A parent? That charge is for a plan and only a plan.

Did you send a private message to the moderators?

Also...your replies here have no context because you don't indicate who you're replying to. Only the Oracles (and up) can see which post you actually clicked on to reply to.

There's no indication shown to me about which messages that the OP is replying to.   The only way that I know of would be to move each message individually into a new thread to see which messages are attached to which (replies can be set to follow the moved message), but I would have to do that once for each message to figure it out.  It would take too much time.

Oh ok. Thanks. I don't know how I gathered that you guys could know that then. I think I remember one of you saying something about who replied to who and concluded that I guess you guys can see that. Apparently not without time. Why would you indeed.

It would be a useful function to be able to see who a reply is to, but around here of course I'm not holding my breath. 🙂

Oh well. Thanks for the clarification.

@Anonymous 

It was likely because of a reply I had made here to a member who had posted in a long thread without quoting or tagging.  You had also replied in that thread.

It's true that oracles have a way to determine the original message to which the member replied, but as @computergeek541 mentioned, it's not because the messages are displayed differently to us.  Since oracles have the ability to edit other members' posts for forum housekeeping purposes, I just clicked edit on that post and then clicked the quote button to reveal the original post and author they were replying to.  From there, it's a matter of looking upthread or looking through the author's message history for a matching post title.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

Are you sure you don't have another account using the $10 plan? A kid? A spouse? A parent? That charge is for a plan and only a plan.

Also...your replies here have no context because you don't indicate who you're replying to. Only the Oracles (and up) can see which post you actually clicked on to reply to.

There's no indication shown to me about which messages that the OP is replying to.   The only way that I know of would be to move each message individually into a new thread to see which messages are attached to which (replies can be set to follow the moved message), but I would have to do that once for each message to figure it out.  It would take too much time.

Oh ok. Thanks. I don't know how I gathered that you guys could know that then. I think I remember one of you saying something about who replied to who and concluded that I guess you guys can see that. Apparently not without time. Why would you indeed.

It would be a useful function to be able to see who a reply is to, but around here of course I'm not holding my breath. 🙂

Oh well. Thanks for the clarification.

@Anonymous wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@w335774225 wrote:

w335774225

w335774225

The plan is 40 and i bought it a month ago

w335774225

No

w335774225

Yes  you are good

w335774225

I bought the sim card a month ago

w335774225

40plan

@computergeek541Yes that makes sense because the Canada Post facility is in Missassauga, so they have the charge PST + GST for items within Ontario.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@AnonymousI would bet because the SIM card operation is seperate from the network operation. I won't be surprised if Public Mobile outsourced it to Canada Post to drop ship from Miss. Hence the 50c GST. Just because it say Public Mobile doesn't mean they are all necessariliy originate from the same legal entity.

I've been charged the proper $11.30 per sim card shipped to Ontario before. 

I dunno man. There're so many weird oddities around here that go my way. I missed some promos when I first started and they did a nice gesture for me then. Certainly not their fault. I haven't been wronged since coming here.

Now...if only there was a way to cash out some benefits 🙂

@GinYVR wrote:

@AnonymousI would bet because the SIM card operation is seperate from the network operation. I won't be surprised if Public Mobile outsourced it to Canada Post to drop ship from Miss. Hence the 50c GST. Just because it say Public Mobile doesn't mean they are all necessariliy originate from the same legal entity.

I've been charged the proper $11.30 per sim card shipped to Ontario before. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@MandyJ wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

Oh, and as far as I know, only Alberta  numbers enjoy the significantly lower tax of GST only. So someone in Ontario would actually save 1% tax

if they'd be paying tax of the province the vendor is in. (In this case, of course.)

I believe the territories also have the lower GST-only tax rate. Not sure how that looks on their Public Mobile billing, however.

It will say BC on credit card statements for all payments done through self-serve and autopay, no matter where you are, no mattter which city your phone number is from.  That's how I know that this isn't a sim card charge, but rather charge for a plan fee or $10 online top up.

And then I buy a SIM with a BC address and get charged 50¢ tax. Go figure.

@MandyJ wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

Oh, and as far as I know, only Alberta  numbers enjoy the significantly lower tax of GST only. So someone in Ontario would actually save 1% tax

if they'd be paying tax of the province the vendor is in. (In this case, of course.)

I believe the territories also have the lower GST-only tax rate. Not sure how that looks on their Public Mobile billing, however.

It will say BC on credit card statements for all payments done through self-serve and autopay, no matter where you are, no mattter which city your phone number is from.  That's how I know that this isn't a sim card charge, but rather charge for a plan fee or $10 online top up.

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wetcoaster wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

That makes no sense. Paying sales taxes is annoying enough ... I certainly don't want to pay them to a province I don't live in. 

I don't think it's supposed to work that way in any event. You're supposed to be charged the sales tax for where you live, irrespective of where something may be ordered or shipped from. 

@JackQuint 

Just FYI, in BC we have 5% GST and 7% PST, so a total of 12%.

Given that their cc transaction shows at $11.30 ($10 + 13% tax) and not $11.20 ($10 + 12% tax) indicates that their phone number is from a province with 13% total sales tax.

So, it's quite likely that the "British Columbia" in their statement only indicates where the billing department of the vendor (in this case Public Mobile) is located.

But really, neither your comment nor my reply to it does anything to explain the op's question. And until they come back with more information, there is nothing we can do, other than continuing to speculate....

JackQuint

That makes no sense. Paying sales taxes is annoying enough ... I certainly don't want to pay them to a province I don't live in. 

I don't think it's supposed to work that way in any event. You're supposed to be charged the sales tax for where you live, irrespective of where something may be ordered or shipped from. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

Last night after my mobile phone number was successfully completely transferred, my credit card received a PM charge.
But I don't know why.

I think $11.30 charged is for $10 SIM card plus 13% tax.

Sim card charges don't show up as originating from British Columbia.  Online ordering of a sm card will show a transacrion from Toronto, Ontario.

Indeed. In my recent transactions, I got the SIM online and that was marked as from Toronto. The plan purchases and even manual payments are marked as "BC".

I shoulda known. 🙂

all these theories abound will we ever get to the truth?Smiley LOL

@w335774225 wrote:

But I don't know why.

PM.jpgPM2.png

Based on what I've been reading here, I believe it would be best to pretend the screenshot about a $10 cedit being received for being refereed be ignored.  As from earlier, that has nothing to do with any charge on the credit card.

Also, being on some type of promotion would not result in a charge showing up on your credit card.

You credit card has been charged for a $10 plan fee, whether that from someone who has permission to use your credit card, or of it's a fraudulent charge, or even a Public Mobile mistake.  

SomeFriend

If OP was charged for a SIM card in store, it would show the store name instead of "Public Mobile".  Charges showing from "Public Mobile" would be coming from the self serve system, that's how it gets shown up on my card.

If OP purchased the SIM online, they would probably be expecting this charge and we wouldn't be here in the first place.  I suspect something got charged from the self serve system for who knows what.

@hycm53 wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

But I don't know why.

PM.jpgPM2.png

Sim card charges don't show up as originating from British Columbia.  Online ordering of a sm card will show a transacrion from Toronto, Ontario.

@LovesToPM there is another oneSmiley LOL

@Anonymous wrote:

@joni123 wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

that's all transaction

Is it possible that the $10 charged on June 17 wasn't posted to your credit card until the 22nd?

geopublic earlier and this and MandyJ and shskr ...although until we hear back from the OP as to how they purchased their SIM...we're all speculating. The Pending status of the transaction is key. Often times cc transactions are delayed. But it could also just drop.

You're right. As only @w335774225 has full list of their credit card charges, only s/he would know.

On the plus side, we generated over 10 Bravos for this $10 unknown charge issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@joni123 wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

that's all transaction

Is it possible that the $10 charged on June 17 wasn't posted to your credit card until the 22nd?

geopublic earlier and this and MandyJ and shskr ...although until we hear back from the OP as to how they purchased their SIM...we're all speculating. The Pending status of the transaction is key. Often times cc transactions are delayed. But it could also just drop.

shskr

I believe the $10+ tax is for the SIM card. I got the same thing when I got on to PM back in January.

MandyJ

@hycm53 wrote:

@w335774225 wrote:

But I don't know why.

PM.jpgPM2.png

Yes, this was my first thought. Depending on how you activated your plan, you would have needed to obtain a SIM card (which normally costs $10+tax). I know sometimes with instore activations, they throw in the SIM card at no cost, but that's not always the case.

Could this charge be the cost of the Public Mobile SIM card? Either one that you ordered online? Or one that was sold to you during an instore activation?

Need Help? Let's chat.