cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90 Day Renewal and moving to new province

juniper
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm set up on the 90 day auto renewal program. My next renewal is mid may and we are moving out of province (from ON to BC) at the end of June. 

Should I continue my auto renewal and once in BC do a change of phone number request? Or should I cancel by the end of June and get a new plan once in BC?

Thanks for the help!

4 REPLIES 4

Depends on situation

I'd argue keeping exitsing account is always better, due to loyalty rewards (longer account is open, more rewards you will get)

Also as mentioned above, older plans may no longer be available

The choice between keeping ON or switching to BC number is a personal one

If you are in BC less than a year I'd argue better to keep old ON number

If you have moved permanently there, switching to a local number will cause less headaches for you as even if you have Canada wide calling it would still be an issue for others to call you (heck I have a family member with a non local 289 number; because of this they can not even buzz visitors into their condo building despite being in same province!)

But if you have a very good number you may not want to give it up

Alternatively; in a dual SIM phone you can simply enable call forwarding from ON to a temp BC SIM card

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@juniper you got some good responses from @stonechucker already.  One option I'd throw out there for you to consider.... do you have Province-wide talk or Canada-wide talk?  If you have Canada-wide talk, you could consider keeping your Ontario phone number.  One of my colleagues has been living in greater Vancouver for about a year and half and still uses his Ontario phone number.  He has Canada-wide calling on his plan, so it really doesn't affect him much.  It was a pain for me to call him when I was still on a province-wide plan (based in BC), but mostly we used Slack calls or I'd call him over Hanougts Dialer, both of which were free.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Cancelling is an option, but you would run the risk of not getting the same plan when you reactivate, and you'd need to get a new sim card.

You could drop autopay (temp) for now, and as long as you reactivate within 90 days, you'd still have the same plan, but need to update the phone number at that time too.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I would change the phone number when you get to BC.  No need to mess with your plan before you get there.  Keep it going as normal.

Need Help? Let's chat.