Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why can't I receive phone calls from people not on my contact list

christinasuen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

21 REPLIES 21

@gblackma wrote:

So @computergeek541  you are saying that if it had remotely had a solution to do with an iPhone, say the one put forward by @iPhoneUser then your switch would have been acceptable. This thread is at the time of my writing this message is under 9 hours old. I know @Luddite cleans up weekly, and assigns the best solution to abandoned posts. So, just so I understand this, one of your jobs as an Oracle is to go through every post here, even the ones with solutions accepted by the original poster and assign as you see it the best solution.

So, I reiterate why let us mere mortals go through the farce of accepting an answer as the solution. Only to change it later. It seems to me that you think that the people posting the topics are idiots and incapable of knowing which solution actually helped them.

And on the topic about users being forced to accept crappy solutions by PM. I had a solution to one of my posts accepted by @Luddite , (one that I thought that I had chosen one for, but didn't) 7 days later. And I never got a message from Public mobile asking me to choose a solution . I have 2 of them open right now for over 24 hours. And I'm still waiting for my message. 

So go over this post properly  and if you Think that @iPhoneUser solution was better than mine give it to him. Christ if you are going to come up with an excuse, come up with a better one. If I make a mistake I admit it, apalogise and move on. I have been pulled up on some that I have made here.

Cool you jets my friend.  When you take a solution or bravo as something larger than life, it's time to step back and recalibrate.  What do you think an extra solution or bravo is worth?  Is it more than making an enemy?  We are all here in the spirit of cooperation.  Live and let live.  

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma wrote:

@iPhoneUser , the OP @christinasuen Did accept my response as the solution before the fiasco above. As you can see I thanked her for doing it. As for correct answers, there is always more than one possible solution to a problem. That's why whenever someone posts a problem, we gather together, stronger as a community( thinktank) to offer solutions.

Exactly 

And based upon our answers, the OP chooses the solution that helped the most. If the OP has taken the time to do this, then the answer shouldn't be changed.

I agree 100%

There are enough abandoned posts for the Oracle's to choose answers for, without meddling with the ones personally chosen by the OP.

Disagree, solution must be chosen by OP. What makes an Oracle selected solution correct and actually resolved the OPs issue? It and can me misleading when some one finds an old thread for their issue and the selected solution is far off. 

And could you please tell me about the emails prompting you to choose answers for your topics? How many hours, days after are they sent out by PM?  I currently have 2 topics, active for around 36 hours and I'm still awaiting mine. Thanks.

Ps Sorry for dragging you into this.

No problem. Not sure of time. Could be based on inactivity of thread plus a week? Maybe an Oracle should answer that one as a coaching project. 😉

@iPhoneUser , the OP @christinasuen Did accept my response as the solution before the fiasco above. As you can see I thanked her for doing it. As for correct answers, there is always more than one possible solution to a problem. That's why whenever someone posts a problem, we gather together, stronger as a community( thinktank) to offer solutions. And based upon our answers, the OP chooses the solution that helped the most. If the OP has taken the time to do this, then the answer shouldn't be changed. There are enough abandoned posts for the Oracle's to choose answers for, without meddling with the ones personally chosen by the OP.

And could you please tell me about the emails prompting you to choose answers for your topics? How many hours, days after are they sent out by PM?  I currently have 2 topics, active for around 36 hours and I'm still awaiting mine. Thanks.

Ps Sorry for dragging you into this.

iPhoneUser

Just to add. 

@iPhoneUser and @gblackma have not been in the Community for that long. 

Some thing I learned as a worker, supervisor, manager, and regional manager. To micromanage is not a good idea along with answering a question on some ones behalf...that is simply rude and over bearing. To extract or accept an idea or someone’s knowledge at any level of wealth or rank in society IS a good idea. It’s a COMMUNITY!!

I have had emails asking me to remark with a resolution and sometimes the thread is informational only and there is no resolution and sometimes the responses for an  issue never have a good resolution.  Thus what is the problem with leaving the thread as unresolved? Much  to my surprise an “Oracle” can answer on your behalf or change the resolution? THAT IS WRONG!

In my input I felt I had it bang on! But I do realize that there could have been another answer.  So be it. But the OP went into hibernation or saw the answer, did the fix, and let everything hang. Ask for help only deserves a simple “Thank You” if your issue is resolved.  And by the Oracles self appointed solution......I can see a poor choice perhaps based on lack of knowledge. Not a wise move and no doubt loss of respect from others in the Community AND why help if this is how Oracles stick handle and select incorrect resolutions? Why wouldn’t the Oracle coach the OP for a resolution and expect better etiquette from the OP? Or simply leave the thread with no resolution. OR give the Oracle the power to close the thread due to no resolution and time of non activity. 

In summary: Please excuse me for saying.....pissing off the folks who input.......should have been directed to the OP. 

@gblackma

I already admitted the mistake and will not be commenting further. Sorry about the confusion.  

So @computergeek541  you are saying that if it had remotely had a solution to do with an iPhone, say the one put forward by @iPhoneUser then your switch would have been acceptable. This thread is at the time of my writing this message is under 9 hours old. I know @Luddite cleans up weekly, and assigns the best solution to abandoned posts. So, just so I understand this, one of your jobs as an Oracle is to go through every post here, even the ones with solutions accepted by the original poster and assign as you see it the best solution.

So, I reiterate why let us mere mortals go through the farce of accepting an answer as the solution. Only to change it later. It seems to me that you think that the people posting the topics are idiots and incapable of knowing which solution actually helped them.

And on the topic about users being forced to accept crappy solutions by PM. I had a solution to one of my posts accepted by @Luddite , (one that I thought that I had chosen one for, but didn't) 7 days later. And I never got a message from Public mobile asking me to choose a solution . I have 2 of them open right now for over 24 hours. And I'm still waiting for my message. 

So go over this post properly  and if you Think that @iPhoneUser solution was better than mine give it to him. Christ if you are going to come up with an excuse, come up with a better one. If I make a mistake I admit it, apalogise and move on. I have been pulled up on some that I have made here.

@gblackma wrote:

The original solution was given to me by @christinasuen . It was then changed by @computergeek541 To @Jb456 's  Android phone answer.  Who pointed it out. It was then changed back by @computergeek541 .

Out of curiosity. Do you Oracle's go back over answers chosen by the original poster and change them to whomever you think has the best answer? If that's how its done, then why let us mere mortals go through the farce of accepting an answer as a solution. Only to change it later.

Sometimes, some Oracles do.  I made a mistake in this thread. It's my understanding that when someone starts a thread, they receive an e-mail message later on from Public Mobile asking for a solution to be chosen. Sometimes, based on that, members feel compelled to choose a solution, and because of that e-mail, just choose a random solution or pick their own reply as a solution. Moderators are now also going through threads to find solutions, and that was mentioned in a different thread.

The original solution was given to me by @christinasuen . It was then changed by @computergeek541 To @Jb456 's  Android phone answer.  Who pointed it out. It was then changed back by @computergeek541 .

Out of curiosity. Do you Oracle's go back over answers chosen by the original poster and change them to whomever you think has the best answer? If that's how its done, then why let us mere mortals go through the farce of accepting an answer as a solution. Only to change it later.

@Jb456 wrote:

@christinasuen  I think you may have selected the wrong person for the solution. 

My post was in regards to Android phone and you stated you have an iPhone. Please adjust the solution to someone else's post that you found helpful to solve your problem as these solutions help for community rewards.

That was my mistake. I was looking through the thread quickly and didn't notice the Android vs. iPhone.

@christinasuen  I think you may have selected the wrong person for the solution. 

My post was in regards to Android phone and you stated you have an iPhone. Please adjust the solution to someone else's post that you found helpful to solve your problem as these solutions help for community rewards.

Thanks for choosing my response as the solution @christinasuen . Glad that we could help you.  Have a great week. 

iPhoneUser

Have you inadvertently turned on DO NOT DISTURB?

Settings, Do Not Disturb

You will see 3  switches 

Do Not Disturb

Scheduled by times YOU SET

Repeated calls

The explanation is all there on screen. 

iPhoneUser

@christinasuen try this while you wait. Look at number 5. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204027

If it's on, turn it off and restart your phone . 

@christinasuen wrote:

iphone6S

Thanks @christinasuen . Will attempt to get you the required help. @iPhoneUser you are needed. Batter up.

@christinasuen wrote:

iphone6S

christinasuen

iphone6S

If you're on an Android check your call block rules.

Open Phone App

Click 3 dots on top right

Click Blocked

Click call block rules.

Screenshot_20200210_154244.jpg

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@christinasuen post your make and model of your phone here. You will get more detailed help with the settings.

doraemon0212

if you're using iphone, then you can try this:

1. Settings

2. Phone

3. "Blocked Contacts" - check if people in your contact list been blocked, you can "Edit" the block list accordingly.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@christinasuen Are you sure in this? Did you port the number? Can you call yourself using landline?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@christinasuen  You need to check your phone filter settings on your device and change it to allow all calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.