cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which PIN?

mickeyjf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have just transfered an number from an old provder and old phone into a spare phone I got from a family member. I have gone through the set up on the PM website, it says all is OK. When I boot up the phone it asks for a 'network unlock PIN'. The PIN I gave when I set up my PM account does not work. The PIN I used for my old account does not work. Would this be a PIN entered by the previous user of the phone, or have I just not waited long enough for it to be fully activated, or...?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mickeyjf wrote:

Again, Duh. The welcome email  (which I didn't even read, apparently) says "make take up to two hours" for the switchover to register. And this morning it works fine. And since I had not yet even set up voicemail on PM, the voicemail had to be on my old provider.

Since I really don't use a phone that much to either talk or text I was using a pay-as-you-go from 7-11 Speak Out. No plan, just buy a bunch of air time good for up to a year. More per minute, but $25 bucks used to last me for months. I'm finally using a phone enough to justify something more permanent, and PM seems to be the least costly for my no frills needs.

Good to hear.

My situation changed the other way. But I preferred to stay with Telus/Bell for the network while being partial to Telus. I was looking at Koodo and then learned about this place.

mickeyjf

Again, Duh. The welcome email  (which I didn't even read, apparently) says "make take up to two hours" for the switchover to register. And this morning it works fine. And since I had not yet even set up voicemail on PM, the voicemail had to be on my old provider.

Since I really don't use a phone that much to either talk or text I was using a pay-as-you-go from 7-11 Speak Out. No plan, just buy a bunch of air time good for up to a year. More per minute, but $25 bucks used to last me for months. I'm finally using a phone enough to justify something more permanent, and PM seems to be the least costly for my no frills needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mickeyjf wrote:

Actually, I'm now sure that the voicemail was going to my old provider, and that I simply have not been patient enough to wait for my number to be properly registered. I expect it will all work fine within an hour or two, tops.

Would you share who you're coming from?

mickeyjf

Actually, I'm now sure that the voicemail was going to my old provider, and that I simply have not been patient enough to wait for my number to be properly registered. I expect it will all work fine within an hour or two, tops.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mickeyjf wrote:

I have unlocked the phone. I am able to make outgoing calls. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail - no ring at all. with a different (not PM) SIM the phone works as expected.

Is there something else I need to do?

You said old provider/old phone...was it active at the old place? Can you be certain that the voicemail is your new one or is it really going to the old one?

If you put in your old SIM does it work (assuming it was active)?

Is your new service saying active?

mickeyjf

I have unlocked the phone. I am able to make outgoing calls. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail - no ring at all. with a different (not PM) SIM the phone works as expected.

Is there something else I need to do?

mickeyjf

Duh. Of course. I have been using unlocked phones for the past 15 years and it did not even occur to me that it might be locked to a network. I'll go get it unlocked.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like your phone is locked to the provider it originally was bought from.

You have to contact the previous provider to get the unlock code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mickeyjf wrote:

I have just transfered an number from an old provder and old phone into a spare phone I got from a family member. I have gone through the set up on the PM website, it says all is OK. When I boot up the phone it asks for a 'network unlock PIN'. The PIN I gave when I set up my PM account does not work. The PIN I used for my old account does not work. Would this be a PIN entered by the previous user of the phone, or have I just not waited long enough for it to be fully activated, or...?

Thanks

Whatever provider that phone came from will supply you with the unlock code for free.

(assuming Canada of course)

Need Help? Let's chat.