cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to buy a sim card without activation

jobella
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I went to Walmart to buy a SIM card but there was a line and they told me they had to activate it for me. Is that normal? Is there anywhere I can go to buy a SIM card and activate it from home? Want to port my number as well.

Thanks

J

21 REPLIES 21

GeoVic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just bought a SIM card from London Drugs and it was super easy. No one insisted on any kind of activation and the helpful salesperson just checked to make sure I knew what to do next. It's bad that Walmart insists on activation.

jobella

Thanks for clearing that up for me 😊

jobella

Hi

Thanks for your share. All the stores suggested, apart from Walmart, are either not in Québec, opening soon in Québec or off of the island of Montreal. 

I am sure there are retailers that sell them in Quebec but none have been suggested 😭

@popping, it’s not a strike yet.  All we know is a possible work stoppage.  The employer may lock them out as they did the last time.

There is a difference between a strike, and a lockout.

Since there is no special promotions for at home, online activations at the present time, if you need the SIM card and there is no other close stores, you might just let Walmart do the activation for you.  

Previously, there was the special promotion with both parties receiving $25 friend referral for home activations, but that promo expired.  You will get the same friend referral credit either way....  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Some Walmarts even have a sign out that they are unable to sell the SIMs without activation.  Frustrating as heck!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

icewhaler

I just bought a sim card at my local walmart without activation, this must be an issue with your local walmart. I would calling to talk to supervisor or manager.  I didn't have great luck ordering online still waiting and it was ordered Sept 9. the mods have offered to give me credit for my card because it didn't arrive. With the postal strike possibly coming it might worth checking with the manager at your local walmart again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jobella wrote:

Thanks for suggestions unfortunately none of these near me 😭

I'm about 2 hours away by car from any store that would have SIM's. I get to the larger town somewhat frequently. I plan ahead on what I need to get in the larger town and make a trip of the time and expense of getting there and back. I did that when I got a SIM from the one Walmart in that larger town. Since then London Drugs and The Mobile Shop offer SIM's. Both in the same larger town I go to. Still nothing closer. I waited a little bit to activate the SIM I got even though I had it in hand.

Are you not able to drive or take public transit to get to any of the stores that offer SIM's?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jobella wrote:

Then order your SIM card from Public Mobile website as @stonechucker suggested earlier.  

But Canada Post strike may happen as early as Sept 26 - next Wednesday.

jobella

@jobella

Do you live near the following stores:

PC mobile (inside Superstores)

London Drugs

WOW mobile

K mobile

Some authorized Koodo dealers. 

The superstore kiosks just recently became public mobile vendors.  

Or you could order online and wait one week to receive SIM card via mail....

You can order direct from Public Mobile”s website.  It’s the same price in store as it is online.

Ask to speak to a manager.  Make sure the manager knows Public Mobile advertises that third party retails are to sell a SIM card if requested, without activation.

the link here is your reference.  First post.  Print it or take it on a tablet to show them.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Public-Mobile-Retail-Launch-SIM-cards-n...

stick to your guns.

jobella

Hi, 

Walmart insists on activating the sim card which I don't want and am having problems finding another store close to my location and appreciate any help. 

@KMG wrote:

Walmart is supposed to sell without requiring activation, but a lot of people have said they are refusing to do so.

You can try Wow Mobile, London Drugs, and The Mobile shop stores as well.  Alternatively, order online and have it mailed to you.

Add also k Mobile, and Koodo authorized stores to the list.  All retail partners are supposed to sell unactivated SIM cards.  Walmart stores seem to mostly ignore this.  I suggest calling a store first before heading out.  Also one trick to try is telling the agent that a SIM card is needed to replace a broken one.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jobella wrote:

Thanks Héro de Ville,

Do you know anywhere in Montreal?

Thanks

Joanna

Was the first reply not sufficient? Walmart, Wow Mobile, The Mobile Shop (Loblaws/ Superstore). (London Drugs isn't out east so that's irrelevant to you.)

@jobella wrote:

Thanks Héro de Ville,

Thanks

Joanna

WalMart There are over 400 WalMart locations across Canada. Find the store closest to you by clicking here.

The Mobile Shop. There are nearly 200 The Mobile Shop locations across Canada, located in places like Loblaws and Real Canadian Superstore. Find the store closest to you by clicking here.

Wow! Mobile boutique. Not very many but in a lot of major cities. Find the closest to you by clicking here.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jobella wrote:

Thanks Héro de Ville,

Thanks

Joanna

That's just their forum rank name (It's in both languages). It doesn't mean anything.

jobella

Thanks Héro de Ville,

Thanks

Joanna

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@public2 wrote:

The sim card is free when you activate in store and I believe the Walmart guys just say that becuase they get commission. That said, you miss out on referral offers by PM if you activate in store (i.e. $25 referral)

No, the $25 referral offer has expired. You can still ask them to put in a referrer so that you get the regular $10.

public2

The sim card is free when you activate in store and I believe the Walmart guys just say that becuase they get commission. That said, you miss out on referral offers by PM if you activate in store (i.e. $25 referral)

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Walmart is supposed to sell without requiring activation, but a lot of people have said they are refusing to do so.

You can try Wow Mobile, London Drugs, and The Mobile shop stores as well.  Alternatively, order online and have it mailed to you.

Need Help? Let's chat.