cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when go outside of Canada, still receiving the text?

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If I go outside of Canada, can I still received the text message? Before I was using Fido, I still can receive the text when I go abroad. Not sure if PM had the same funtion.

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous just to confirm--did you actually pick up the call and try talking (admittedly: to yourself) for any length of time?  Ringing is one thing, but I'd be curious to know if it actually 1) connects, and 2) doesn't drop within the first 60 seconds or so.  

My local call was a short test of huh whadyaknow it works. A second from Canada was a yup it works ok bye. The third was a 2 minute call of a more chatty test.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous just to confirm--did you actually pick up the call and try talking (admittedly: to yourself) for any length of time?  Ringing is one thing, but I'd be curious to know if it actually 1) connects, and 2) doesn't drop within the first 60 seconds or so.  

EDIT: I don't think you need to keep it quiet.  Other loopholes have been posted in the community and never patched.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

International non-US? And how much to use phone elsewhere?

@Anonymous $12 a day for Easy Roam (full access to your plan features for 24 hours at a time) or pay-per-use rates for outbound texts, calling, and data--incoming texts are received free of charge.  EDIT: sorry this info is for Koodo, not Fido.  I believe the costs are the same for Fido, but substitute "Fido Roam" for "Easy Roam" 🙂

@ShawnC13 yeah this suprised me when I saw @Anonymous post that on another thread recently.  Officially you're not supposed to get any services without add-on(s).  We all know that incoming texting works anyway.  I had no idea that incoming calls work.  I wonder if it's a fluke/error, or a common experience?  I've yet to hear anyone else say this worked for them, but maybe they're just keeping quiet!

1. Once again I didn't do my homework.

2. I called my number from a local in-state phone and twice, one each from two provinces all on different days.

If it should be kept quiet then I'm happy to start editing.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@missorange wrote:

@Anonymous, I mean, just receiving the text, not answering the phone, it is free when you stay outside canada. When you stay in Canada, unlimited call and message.

@missorange yes, this is a limitation of PM:  zero service outside of Canada and the USA.  

@Anonymous wrote:

@missorange wrote:

@Anonymous, Fido offer $25 for unlimited calling and texting, exactly same with PM $25 services fee. 

@Anonymous $12 a day for Easy Roam (full access to your plan features for 24 hours at a time) or pay-per-use rates for outbound texts, calling, and data--incoming texts are received free of charge.  EDIT: sorry this info is for Koodo, not Fido.  I believe the costs are the same for Fido, but substitute "Fido Roam" for "Easy Roam" 🙂

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@missorange wrote:

If I go outside of Canada, can I still received the text message? Before I was using Fido, I still can receive the text when I go abroad. Not sure if PM had the same funtion.

That's been my recent experience in the states. Incoming texts and calls. No outgoing or data. I scanned for and connected to AT&T and roaming went on. I haven't seen any charges. I don't expect to see any charges.

Other countries...? I doubt any connection will happen to get anything.

And it's not like I receive a bunch of texts and calls anyway. 🙂

@Anonymous, you were able to receive calls without a US romaing addon?  That is a new one that I hadn't heard of yet.  I had heard people getting texts but never calls before.  Very interesting.

@ShawnC13 yeah this suprised me when I saw @Anonymous post that on another thread recently.  Officially you're not supposed to get any services without add-on(s).  We all know that incoming texting works anyway.  I had no idea that incoming calls work.  I wonder if it's a fluke/error, or a common experience?  I've yet to hear anyone else say this worked for them, but maybe they're just keeping quiet!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

missorange

@Anonymous, I mean, just receiving the text, not answering the phone, it is free when you stay outside canada. When you stay in Canada, unlimited call and message.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missorange wrote:

@Anonymous, Fido offer $25 for unlimited calling and texting, exactly same with PM $25 services fee. 

missorange

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missorange wrote:

Here is the disadvantage of PM, for other provider, at lease can receiving the message. 

Ok. But how much are you willing to pay for that privilege? This is a low-budget el-cheapo service.

missorange

Here is the disadvantage of PM, for other provider, at lease can receiving the message. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missorange wrote:

ok, who knows if going other country, is that the same with going to the States, just can receiving the text message for free?

My guess would be technically not seeing as how no agreements exist with other carriers in other countries.

So you get off the plane with your PM SIM in your phone. Turn off Airplane Mode. Scan for networks. I suspect they would all see the connection attempt and say who the f are you. Denied.

But that's just my guess.

Maybe someone here HAS tried it elsewhere and got something going. I'm on the edge of my seat.

@missorange wrote:

ok, who knows if going other country, is that the same with going to the States, just can receiving the text message for free?

You will not have any service outside of US or Canada at all and no option for that so you will not receive anything.

@missorange, I was in Mexico in November and took my phone and it just showed no service.  I wasn't expecting any calls or texts as I told people I wouldn't have service.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous wrote:

@missorange wrote:

That's been my recent experience in the states. Incoming texts and calls. No outgoing or data. I scanned for and connected to AT&T and roaming went on. I haven't seen any charges. I don't expect to see any charges.

@Anonymous, you were able to receive calls without a US romaing addon?  That is a new one that I hadn't heard of yet.  I had heard people getting texts but never calls before.  Very interesting.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

missorange

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

Hey, what's with all the deleting?  This drives me nuts when I'm trying to follow threads!

RobertQc wrote something. Then he decided to take it back channel. But I had written a reply. Then I took it backchannel. Yeah I know. It looks kinda funny seeing two in a row deletes in the All Posts list.

Hey, what's with all the deleting?  This drives me nuts when I'm trying to follow threads!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missorange wrote:

@Anonymous, that is good, as long as incoming text is free, no need the outgoing text and call. 

There's a possibility that you wrote your response while I edited mine.

I added "in the states" and a bit about other countries.

missorange

@Anonymous, that is good, as long as incoming text is free, no need the outgoing text and call. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missorange wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.