cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when do I insert my new SIM card?

briguy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm new to Public - I've got a SIM card and have set up an account, and have started the process of porting my number from my old provider... at what point do I swap out my old SIM card for my new Public SIM card?

6 REPLIES 6

@briguy1 wrote:

I'm new to Public - I've got a SIM card and have set up an account, and have started the process of porting my number from my old provider... at what point do I swap out my old SIM card for my new Public SIM card?

The best case scenerio would be for you to have a spare compatible cell phone. This way, you could have both the old carrier's SIM and the Public's both inserted into working devices.  If you only have one device, inserting the Public Mobile immediately would cause you to miss any incoming phone calls. However, keep your old carrier's SIM card in the phone will cause you to miss any incoming text messages from Telus customers. 

The above applies until poritng is complete.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@briguy1  When your old sim stops working. If the old card does not stop working within 4 hours then submit a ticket to Public and ask them too check the status of your port.

To submit a ticket click on the chat bubble bottom right of your screen.

Welcome to PM!🙂

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@briguy1 

You can use your service right away. If you have a spare old phone you can move your old sim to it so you receive messages and calls until the transfer is done.

Welcome to public mobile

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You can put PM sim in now. Outgoing calls should work. Text should also as well as data. 

Old sim might still receive incoming calls till port is complete.

If you used a referral code for a $10 sign-up bonus it will be credited to your account within 72 hours.

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@briguy1 wrote:

Did you receive the Welcome to Public Mobile text yet.

Insert the sim now and try it out. You should see Public Mobile as the provider.

Welcome to PM.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to PM!

If the PM sim is activated, you can put it in at any point and test out the service. When the port is complete, your ported in number will simply "appear" (you may need to reboot your phone).

Need Help? Let's chat.