cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the best practice now activate and port the number from Telus

jqian
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I might be repeating some obvious questions. But I browsed through the forum and found some contradictory information.

I have PM sim ready to activate and I am going to port a Telus mobile number in. What's the best practice as of now? Activate and Port at the same time, or Activate first then Port later?

I heard someone said better do it separately. But another message in the forum saying that porting numbers after the activation in self-service doesn't work now. So I am really confused.

8 REPLIES 8

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jqian wrote:

Hi, I might be repeating some obvious questions. But I browsed through the forum and found some contradictory information.

I hhe best practice as of now? Activate and Port at the same time, or Activate first then Port later?

I heard someone said better do it separately. But another message in the forum saying that porting numbers after the activation in self-service doesn't work now. So I am really confused.

Public Mobile recommends to port in at activation UNLESS you are a Koodo Prepaid (which you aren't).  As long as you have the correct information inputted there should be no issues.  I haven't had any issues with porting at activation in the 30+ accounts I have helped with and my friend just yesterday experienced a HUGE issue I am hoping got resolved when was trying to port after activation with assistance from the moderators.

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

We thank you for your patience while we work through the Self-Serve maintenance.

Thank you,

-Public Mobile Community Team

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jqian  Since it's Telus best to port during activation. Porting in most cases is fast because Public Mobile is owned by Telus. In the event of a problem you can always call the Telus porting centre for help.

@jqian wrote:

I have PM sim ready to activate and I am going to port a Telus mobile number in. What's the best practice as of now? Activate and Port at the same time, or Activate first then Port later?

There are arguments in favor of both ways. 

The difficulty with porting in during activation is if an error occurs during the activation. What sometimes happens is the Public Mobile account being opened but service doesn't get assigned to your sim card.  If that happens, your phone number will temproarily stop working until moderators can get things fixed for you.

If you port in later on, you'll have to ask a moderator to perform that task and you'll have to wait for an employee to submit the request for you. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jqian Dont go through the hassle of porting after activation. Its essentialy the same thing but porting after is work for nothing. If you have a problem you have to contact the moderators either way. Just port at activation and it should be fine. I ported at activation and majority of the people do as well. 

Back then everyone used to worry about accounts not being provisioned properly but PM has fixed these issues or their extremely rare. Now you have nothing to worry about if you port at activation. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jqian according to PM they have made it easier to port at activation. Keep your Telus account active to port your number. The port will close it once its completed. Stay safe. 

Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if you need them:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jqian , I am in the group that likes the 2 step process.  I would sign up first and make sure the account is fully functional before submitting the number port.  I am not advocating this as the "right answer".  It is just a preference.  I don't want to fix what ain't broke.  

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@jqian wrote:

@jqian i think it is better to Activate with a temp number and see if everything works first then Port later by contacting a moderator for a port request 😁

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Probably the easiest way would be to port your Telus phone# over to PM.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Need Help? Let's chat.