Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail error message: you don't have an active long distance add-on

rosstermon
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

hi,

i live in montreal, quebec.

i reset my voicemail (vm) password using the button in my account.

then I went to set up my vm, and when I dial into my vm, to try to set up my vm, I get an error message saying I don't have an active long distance add on and the call hangs up.

so i don't get the chance to set up my vm. 

does someone know about this?

let me know

thanks

ross

104 REPLIES 104

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,

>>Do you mean pressing and holding the 1 key until it dials the vm?>>

doing the above still gives me an error message.

manually dialing 14385804001 gets me to my vm and it works.

so i dialed *61* 1 438 580 4001# (without the 30 secs) and i got the following message "call forwarding when no reply. registration was successful."

so that is all 3 of them working?    🙂

I don't understand what you mean by this "Why are you averse to going into your dialer settings after all this?"

i am pretty knowledgeable on my android phone. what settings do you want me to imput?

let me know

thanks

Phone - settings - call settings - sim - voicemail - number

rosstermon

hi z10user4,

>>Do you mean pressing and holding the 1 key until it dials the vm?>>

doing the above still gives me an error message.

manually dialing 14385804001 gets me to my vm and it works.

so i dialed *61* 1 438 580 4001# (without the 30 secs) and i got the following message "call forwarding when no reply. registration was successful."

so that is all 3 of them working?    🙂

I don't understand what you mean by this "Why are you averse to going into your dialer settings after all this?"

i am pretty knowledgeable on my android phone. what settings do you want me to imput?

let me know

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,

so the 62 number gave me this message "call forwarding when not reachable. registration was successful."

and now when I call 14385804001 my vm seems to work correctly.

what do you think?

Do you mean pressing and holding the 1 key until it dials the vm?

There's still the other version of call forwarding that concerns me.

The *61*14385804001*30# is supposed to do the call forwarding for no answer and set the ring time to 30 seconds.

Why are you averse to going into your dialer settings after all this?

rosstermon

hi z10user4,

so the 62 number gave me this message "call forwarding when not reachable. registration was successful."

and now when I call 14385804001 my vm seems to work correctly.

what do you think?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,

you want to to try the *62*14385804001# number?

thanks

Yes. See what happens.

Do you know how to scan and connect to and log in to a coffee shop wifi?

If yes then looking at settings in your dialer for this is easier.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,

you want to to try the *62*14385804001# number?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,

so this is getting complicated.

i tried the second code number and I got the following message "call forwarding when busy. registration was successful."

so i then tried to use the key 1 and I got the error message again.

then I manaully dialed 14385804001 to see if my vm was still working, and it asked me to enter a password (which I already did 15 mins ago).

so, I am confused.

let me know what you think

thanks

There's a setting in the vm to not ask for a password when you're coming from your actual phone.

Try the other code. Successful's a good thing. 🙂

rosstermon

hi z10user4,

so this is getting complicated.

i tried the second code number and I got the following message "call forwarding when busy. registration was successful."

so i then tried to use the key 1 and I got the error message again.

then I manaully dialed 14385804001 to see if my vm was still working, and it asked me to enter a password (which I already did 15 mins ago).

so, I am confused.

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,  

>>Your typing this in like dialing a number in your dialer right? >>

yes, correct, and yes, no spaces, and it gives error message.

should I try the other two?

let me know

thanks

As I said a moment ago sure see what happens. It should really have worked as it's the way to maximize the ring count. I know I did it a while ago.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,  

>>Your typing this in like dialing a number in your dialer right? >>

yes, correct, and yes, no spaces, and it gives error message.

should I try the other two?

let me know

thanks

@Alex888 wrote:
Try dialing 1 (your area code) 580 4001.

That may very well correct vociemail retrieval number in some cases, but Telus doesn't have every area code, nor even every city with one of the area codes allocated to them with the 580 prefix.  Voicemail retrieval numbers (at least at other carriers) can often be in different area codes, sometimes even ones that are very far away.  However, I do not have a complete list of Public Mobile's voicemail deposit and retrieval numbers. 

I am suspecting that the correct voicemail retrieval numbers was already pushed through the network to the sim card when account was activated.  Most times, customers do not need to change this number, unless there's the rare case of the number as showing as blank in the voicemail settings of the phone.

In additon, the 50 minutes/50 outgoing text plan incldues Canada-wide calling.  This means that no matter what the phone numbe is programmed in as the vociemail number shouldn't be producing this error message as long as it's some Canadian phone number.

@rosstermon As for one of the voicemail retrieval numbers working when you dial it manually, you could change your phones settings so that the number that you used gets programmed in there for when you hold the 1 key.  Unfortuantely, that still does not change the fact that when holding the 1 key down, you hear a "you need a long distance add-on message". That number that you phone is trying to dial when calling into your voicemail is most likely the proper one for your account.  And, in all likelihood it's probably not the only Canadian phone number that you should be able to call that you can't.  I beleive this is an account activation/provissioning issue, and only the moderators can fix something like that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,   

hi, yeah, that gives error message.

do you want me to try the other two?

let me know

thanks

Sure. See what happens. Your typing this in like dialing a number in your dialer right? And then touching the go button or whatever it might be called right?

I'll say it again...you should be able to set all this in the settings of your dialer.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,   

hi, yeah, that gives error message.

do you want me to try the other two?

let me know

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,   

the code you gave me was *61* 1 438 580 4001*30#

let me know

thanks

Correct. No spaces. 🙂

rosstermon

hi z10user4,   

the code you gave me was *61* 1 438 580 4001*30#

let me know

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,   

so I called the number and it asked me to reset my password and I did and I got in my mailbox and I listened to my messages.

so cool, much thanks!!!!!!!!!!!  🙂

but, when I hold the key 1 and it dials, i still get the error message.

so, should I just dial 1 438 580 4001 and not worrry about using the 1 key to call vm?

let me know

thanks

ross

The press and hold I'm not sure of but the other call forwarding to voicemail options are:

*67*14385804001#
*62*14385804001#

But can you review the code I gave you?

Perhaps setting these will tell the 1 key speed dial to work. I dunno.

@rosstermon wrote:

hi all,

so, I am on the $10 plan.

my phone number is 514-83X-XXXX

the number does not appear when I push and hold key 1.

I have NOT used up my 50 mins per month.

yes, IF the vm is dialing to a long distance number, I can see that being a problem. what number do montreal people dial to get their vm?

thanks

Your number doesn't show when holding 1 key down.  It could say voicemail but not show a number but if it does shiow, it will be of a preset voicemail number.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,   

so I called the number and it asked me to reset my password and I did and I got in my mailbox and I listened to my messages.

so cool, much thanks!!!!!!!!!!!  🙂

but, when I hold the key 1 and it dials, i still get the error message.

so, should I just dial 1 438 580 4001 and not worrry about using the 1 key to call vm?

let me know

thanks

ross

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,   

so i entered the nums and hit dial and got error message "connection problem or invalid MiMi code"

thanks

Check it again. Unlike the first short code, there's no # around the 61...just at the end.

And again...your dialer should have these settings somewhere that you can enter the voicemail access number into.

Tell you what...because I'm unsure of what will happen...dial the 14385804001 (I think) and do the initial voicemail setup. I'm sure you'll let me know if it doesn't work.

Edit: And you will use some of your 50 minutes.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,   

so i entered the nums and hit dial and got error message "connection problem or invalid MiMi code"

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,   

ok, i will call my friend now. thanks.

what does Edit: @rosstermon:  do? Do I need to go to this link and do something?

thanks

That's just me grabbing your attention with a red blob notification for you because I updated my post. So no.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,   

ok, i will call my friend now. thanks.

what does Edit: @rosstermon:  do? Do I need to go to this link and do something?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be waiting.

Plenty of other far smarter people to take over anyway.

Edit: @rosstermon: We'll need to know exactly what result they get.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,     

ok, i will enter the info and then I will get my friend to try to call me.

will you be online here for another 15-30 mins?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,     

ok, i will enter *61*14385804001*30# and hit dial right?

>>And then use another phone to call your number and let it ring for a while (30 seconds) and see if it drops to voicemail.>>

do you mean dial my number and don't answer and see if the person calling gets my vm box?

thanks

Yes. It *may* not work with the call in as you *might* need to do the initial setup of your voicemail box but we'll see. So yes a different phone calling your cell phone number here and let it ring and see what happens.

rosstermon

hi z10user4,     

ok, i will enter *61*14385804001*30# and hit dial right?

>>And then use another phone to call your number and let it ring for a while (30 seconds) and see if it drops to voicemail.>>

do you mean dial my number and don't answer and see if the person calling gets my vm box?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

hi z10user4,      

when I dialed *#61# , I got a screen that popped up that says "call forwarding when no reply. service has been turned off."

thanks

There you go then. The call forwarding settings are not set up on your phone. Voicemail is simply using call forwarding.

Now do *61*14385804001*30#

And then use another phone to call your number and let it ring for a while (30 seconds) and see if it drops to voicemail.

rosstermon

hi Alex888,

when I dialed 1 (your area code) 580 4001 the call did not go through

thanks

rosstermon

hi z10user4,      

when I dialed *#61# , I got a screen that popped up that says "call forwarding when no reply. service has been turned off."

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosstermon wrote:

i have mins left

thanks

If you don't indicate who you're replying then you only need to say something once.

So...vm...we just had one of these earlier too.. curious.

What number do you get when you "dial" the code *#61# in your dialer? That is the currently configured voicemail number that is on your phone. You should also be able to find it in your dialer settings somewhere.

Need Help? Let's chat.