cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking my phone

Chris3M
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I sent for and received a new sim card from Public Mobile.  I am leaving a carrier so requested that they unlock my phone.  They have sent me instructions that include inserting a sim card from another carrier into my phone as part of the unlock process.  I also have my 15 digit number.  My questions are: a) can I use the sim card that Public Mobile sent me to help unlock my phone even though I haven't set up my account with PM? (not sure of the order I should be doing things), and b) if I can use this sim card, exactly how do I do that?  Does the power on my phone need to be off, etc. etc. - Total newby...

10 REPLIES 10

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Typically you will need an active SIM card from an unsupported cell provider in order to have a screen Pop up on your phone asking you to enter the unlock code. If you do not have an active unsupported SIM there is another way. With your working active SIM from your old provider you are trying to leave still in your phone do the following steps and enter the unlock code you were provided with:

Method 3:
Go to the dial screen on your phone as if you are going to make a call and press #7465625*638*# Once prompted for code, enter the 8 digit Network Unlock Code.

Cheers. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris3M- The first credit will be applied sometime before the first renewal.  After that, the credit will be applied just before renewals 2-6. 

It is normal that the first payment you made was for the full plan amount.

Hope that makes sense.

Chris3M

How do I get that $10 off?  I picked the $40 plan, and it looks like I am being charged $40...

what carrier are you with if its telus or koodo  you should already be able to use it or it could be unlocked already

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Chris3M who was your old provider? If telus or Koodo then no need to unlock. 

If phone was purchased recently it was unlocked. 

Chris3M

I put the PM sim in, turned the phone back on, and it didn't ask me for an unlock code (?)

mimmo

@Chris3M  dont forget the 10$ off $30+ plans for 6 months ends march 4th, if you were going for one of those plans, I would activate it today, with a temp number (get an alberta one to save some taxes) then when ready tomorrow day after etc port your existing number.

Chris3M

Thanks I will try that!

popping

@Chris3M wrote:

I sent for and received a new sim card from Public Mobile.  I am leaving a carrier so requested that they unlock my phone.  They have sent me instructions that include inserting a sim card from another carrier into my phone as part of the unlock process.  I also have my 15 digit number.  My questions are: a) can I use the sim card that Public Mobile sent me to help unlock my phone even though I haven't set up my account with PM? (not sure of the order I should be doing things), and b) if I can use this sim card, exactly how do I do that?  Does the power on my phone need to be off, etc. etc. - Total newby...

Yes.  You can use your unused PM SIM card to trigger your phone to ask for the unlock code from your previous provider.

Enter the unlock code carefully as you have only 10 tries.  After 10 unsessuful tries, your phone will be permanently locked.

mimmo

power off your phone. insert the PM sim power on phone. It will ask you for an unlock code enter it,  do it max 2 times.  congrats phone is unlocked.

once unlocked power off phone, insert old sim.  then when ready activate your PM account.

if the code does not  after second attempt,  ask provider for a new code. 

Need Help? Let's chat.