cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking corporate phone

ahamer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@CS_Agent Hi I'm switching from my corporate phone with Bell to a personal one with Public (same device). I've been told that once the number is ported over, if Public requests the phone is unlocked, Bell will not charge the $50 unlocking fee that they typically do for corporate accounts. Is this something you are able to do? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

ahamer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for your help!

Beatrice_AG
Customer Support Agent

Hei @stonechucker@ahamer

I'm gonna copy some info from the CRCT page to clarify this.

Unlocking

1. Any device provided by a service provider to the customer for the purpose of providing wireless services must be provided unlocked.
  2. If a device is, or becomes, locked to a service provider’s network, that service provider must unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at no charge.

As mentioned above, this goes for any type or phone and/or account. If you have any valid info that can help us, please feel free to attach the link or details.

Thank you!

@Beatrice_AG, that information (December 2017) is for consumer cellular phones.  Corporate devices (IE the boss provides them to employees) fall under different rules.

Beatrice_AG
Customer Support Agent

Hi Ahamer!

To answer your question, as per CRTC, starting December 1st, all the carriers are obliged to unlock the phones for free. That being said, if you have a Bell phone, only Bell can unlock it for you, free of charge, of course.

This rule applies for a corporate phone as well. 

Hope this helps!

Have a nice one! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ahamer - I would be skeptical.  The rules for unlocking of corporate phones are not the same as for personal phones.

On a separate note, if you have a direct question for the moderator time, you might be better off sending them a private message.  Depending on the current backlog, they might not notice that you tagged them here in the forum.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

Need Help? Let's chat.