cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking code

Alex0824Chan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been given two separate unlocking codes, from Rogers,  for a Samsung Galaxy 7. Both were unsuccessful. Time to give up and move to another phone?

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't entering the unlocking code happen before one can turn on any radios (wifi/bluetooth/gps/nfc/FM) or before those radios might come on?

@Alex0824Chan wrote:

started a live chat with Samsung , very busy have to get back to me.

Does the WIFI have to be disconnected when entering code? I see this in the instructions from Samsung when entering the Master Unlock Code the device

Wi-Fi connection for your phone can be either on or off. It makes no difference. You do not need an internet connection to unlock your phone.

@Alex0824Chan 

While reading thru the instructions in the link I provided it does not specifically say you shouldn't be on wifi but if the instructions you are getting from samung mention it then go with the source. It probably helps that there is no outside influence ( on apps?)when you go thru this procedure. Its just you, your device and the unlocking codes.  Best of luck.

Alex0824Chan

started a live chat with Samsung , very busy have to get back to me.

Does the WIFI have to be disconnected when entering code? I see this in the instructions from Samsung when entering the Master Unlock Code the device

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Alex0824Chan 

Time to contact Samsung Canada, they are very helpful.

I suggest you do it over online chat they are pretty fast too

Good luck

@Alex0824Chan wrote:

Screen reads/  SIM network blocked , Enter SIM network PUK. This what was requested from Rogers 

That code needs to be used first to make the phone allow you to use the regular unlock code (the SIM Network Unlock PIN).  It's the SIM Newtwork Unlock PIN that actually unlocks your device.  At the very least, this confirms that your phone is locked to Rogers.

It's quite possible that Rogers gave you the wrong SIM Network Unlock PUK. I beleive that when most people hear "PUK", they assume that this is some type of SIM card security password. When speaking to Rogers I would not use the term PUK at any time, but rather say something like "master unlock code for my device".  

@darlicious wrote:

@Alex0824Chan 

Read this post first as it may help you with unusualness of samsung phones and the sim network PUK......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/SIM-network-PIN-blocked-Enter-SIM-net...

This isn't specific to Samsung, and it's not really unusual.  Some phones may us slightly different wording, but any Android-based phone that is locked to a carrier uses the same type of unlock method and have both a SIM Newtwork Unlock PIN and a SIM Network Unlock PUK.  I would say that that the unsual thing about Samsung devices is how some of them self lock to a carrier after the first SIM card is inserted.

@Alex0824Chan wrote:

Screen reads/  SIM network blocked , Enter SIM network PUK. This what was requested from Rogers 

@Alex0824Chan 

Here is some more information:

SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK."
- This is asking for Samsung's "master code" - I got this after entering the wrong code for the message below too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this.

"SIM network unlock PIN"
- This is asking for your previous carrier's unlock code - just contact them with your IMEI and they'll give it to you easy peasy. If you enter this incorrectly too many times, you'll get the error message above.

You need to enter the right codes for each message.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Best of luck to you getting your phone unlocked!  Rogers should be able to provide you with the correct code to unlock your phone (per CRTC in 2017).  It sounds like they're working to help, but I know the big companies sometimes don't have the correct information the first time around. 

Glad you still have options to try and hopefully it works... I wouldn't give up because it sounds like you still have a very decent phone there.  Alternatively, it could be a good excuse to get a newer phone!  🙂

@Alex0824Chan 

Read this post first as it may help you with unusualness of samsung phones and the sim network PUK......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/SIM-network-PIN-blocked-Enter-SIM-net...

Alex0824Chan

Yes, I did try  a public mobile SIM. I and my son, the previous owner, spoke with Rogers customer service. My son was the previous owner. I also got advice from a Rogers consultant at the local mall.I will make one final call to Rogers to try and end this phone fiasco!

Alex0824Chan

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yikes... that doesn't sound good!  It's hard to understand the situation, especially if the phone and code came from Rogers.  Are you saying the phone is locked to Rogers?  Who did you talk to, and what "codes" did they give you?

Have you tried putting in a Public Mobile SIM?  (Does it not work?)  We can try and give you some ideas on how to get your S7 working with Public Mobile, but is a bit trickier when it sounds like you'll need to clear things with Rogers first.

Alternatively, there are third party companies who may be able to help you (unlock your phone).

@Alex0824Chan wrote:

I have been given two separate unlocking codes, from Rogers,  for a Samsung Galaxy 7. Both were unsuccessful. Time to give up and move to another phone?

If you were given two codes, one is likely the SIM Network Unlock PUK and the other the SIM Network Unlock PIN.  The SIM Network Unlock PUK is only needed if the incorrect unlock code has been entered a few times.  What's the exact on-screen message that is shown on your phone (which code is your phoone asking for)?

Need Help? Let's chat.