cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to connect to wifi hotspot on lg g5 - bluetooth tethering works

mynewhome
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

first time trying to use lg g5 as a wifi hotspot - no luck. worked well with previous carrier.

bluetooth tethering is working as alternative

anyone have any insights?

24 REPLIES 24

@mynewhomeDepending on what devices you have.. download one of the many network diagnostic devices from the relevant app store. You should be able to get more details. It could be as simple as needed to put in a proper DNS entry.

I still recommend you to get a carrier free Android on the phone (you should be able to get Android 8), as it eliminates a lot of the hidden gotchas. Fido needs to unlock the phone when requested, but they are not obligated to remove any carrier customization done to the phone's OS.

mynewhome

Good call! Yes other devices can see it which means it's not a pm issue.

@mynewhomeCan your phone's wifi connect to anything else eg another hotspot?

If your computer cannot see your phone, can anything else in your household eg tablet see your phone as a wifi hotpot (let alone connect)?

At this stage, it is not an APN problem (since you can use the phone as a BT hotspot). The problem is with your phone's wifi configuration.

Since you mentioned previously your phone is previously with Fido, is it a Fido phone? Another option is to flash the phone to a firmware without provider customizations. If you aren't confident in doing that, most neighbourhood cellphone repair place can do it at very reasonable cost.

mynewhome

My computer doesn't even see the wifi hotspot as an available network to check these settings.

mynewhome

Tcpip settings?

@mynewhome wrote:

I have tried every possible apn setting provided here and still cannot get wifi tehering to work.

Blue tooth is ok, it looks like the only disadvantage is that it is restricted to one device at a time?

@mynewhome Did you try resetting your phone?

@mynewhomeYes BT only allows one device connection at a time. I think you should explore your TCPIP settings instead of APN. BT also relies on the APN settings, so if your BT connection is working, that means your hotspot problem is NOT due to APN.

mynewhome

I have tried every possible apn setting provided here and still cannot get wifi tehering to work.

Blue tooth is ok, it looks like the only disadvantage is that it is restricted to one device at a time?

mynewhome

Data works on phone and am able to Bluetooth tether.

Wifi hotspot worked when I was on fido with same phone

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mynewhome wrote:

Don't think so, I've used this device on fido for tethering before I switched over.

@mynewhome 

I am using my LG G5 on Rogers network and I can get the WiFi hotspot.

Is your data work with your current APN?

If not, LG G5 needs a network reset after switching provider.

1.  Open Settings. 

2.  Click on the serach button at top right for "reset"

3.  You will have 2 choices.  One of them is Network Settings reset.

@mynewhome Have you checked your client wifi's DHCP settings? Does it matches the DHCP addresses that is given out from your LG? More importantly can you ping your LG from your client computer.

mynewhome

Don't think so, I've used this device on fido for tethering before I switched over.

@geopublic wrote:

@mynewhome wrote:

Do you mean change the name to :

isp.mb.com

How do you do a network reset?

@mynewhome  You should select sp.mb.com for data. When you go into the settings for sp mb.com there is a field called APN Type: 

That is where you make the change.

LG G5 - Reset Network Settings
  1. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings > System > Reset. If there are multiple tabs to choose from in Settings, tap on the Menu icon (located in the upper-right) and tap List view.
  2. Tap Network settings reset.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  4. Tap Reset Settings.

@mynewhome wrote:

isp.mb.com

@mynewhome  You should select sp.mb.com for data. When you go into the settings for sp mb.com there is a field called APN Type: 

That is where you make the change.

@mynewhome wrote:

isp.mb.com

There is no unique APN for tethering.  Just us sp.mb.com.  If you cannot find network reset, by perusing the settings, do a search for the setting by name.  I doubt that network reset will do anything in this case as your problem is not with inability to connect to the Public Mobile network.  Could this be your issue?  Some carrier supplied phones have tethering neutered because they don't allow tethering.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-lg-g5/help/hotspot-networks-t3563030

mynewhome

isp.mb.com

@mynewhome wrote:

ive tried all suggestions and changing apn to isp.mb.com terminates data access altogether.

using  apn sp.mb.com with type dun does not work for wifi hotspot

nor does type  default,mms,agps,supl

is anyone succesfully using lg g5 for wifi hotspot and what are the apn settings?

@mynewhome You don't select isp.mb.com just the entry needs to be there. As for the APN type for sp.mb.com change:

default,mms,agps,supl

To

default,mms,agps,supl,dun

Restart your phone. If it doesn't work maybe try a network reset.

mynewhome

ive tried all suggestions and changing apn to isp.mb.com terminates data access altogether.

using  apn sp.mb.com with type dun does not work for wifi hotspot

nor does type  default,mms,agps,supl

is anyone succesfully using lg g5 for wifi hotspot and what are the apn settings?

@geopublic wrote:

@mynewhome wrote:

Any one know the proper APN settings for lg hot spot? All other data working fine.

@mynewhome  You can create a new entry with;

APN isp.mb.com

APN Type dun

Save it 

Also make sure sp.mb.com has the dun entry as part of its APN Type.

Great suggestion!

@mynewhome wrote:

Any one know the proper APN settings for lg hot spot? All other data working fine.

@mynewhome  You can create a new entry with;

APN isp.mb.com

APN Type dun

Save it 

Also make sure sp.mb.com has the dun entry as part of its APN Type.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I find that on some devices, adding dun to the APN type field is necessary for tethering to work.

mynewhome

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mynewhome wrote:

first time trying to use lg g5 as a wifi hotspot - no luck. worked well with previous carrier.

bluetooth tethering is working as alternative

anyone have any insights?

@mynewhome Make sure you have the PM hotspot APN setting entry in your phone. Sometimes for LG phones it is recommended to do a network reset to get data working properly.

Need Help? Let's chat.