cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traveling from Canada to the United States

KAT56
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We are traveling from Canada into the United States - I have a monthly plan - do I need to worry about roaming charges?  I don't even know what roaming charges are and why one gets charged with them.  We use our phone as a PHONE - phone calls - that's it.  Would appreciate any and all help.  Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@KAT56   Had it been a smart phone you were using instead of a flipper I would say to use Google Hangouts app and call back to Canada for free using wifi which is available all over the place.  Enjoy your  holiday

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@KAT56 wrote:

We are traveling from Canada into the United States - I have a monthly plan - do I need to worry about roaming charges?  I don't even know what roaming charges are and why one gets charged with them.  We use our phone as a PHONE - phone calls - that's it.  Would appreciate any and all help.  Thank you.

Roaming means when you are using a Different network then the one you have service from.  There are almost always extra huge pay per use charges to use the Roaming Network however Public Mobile's Service is setup in a way where you never have any overages, roaming, long distance or any surprise charges.  So in your case you could purchase a $8 10 day addon on the day you leave Canada or when you get there if you have internet access and purchase it while you are in the US. The reason is because your 10 days start from the moment you purchase it. Also Remember buying an Add on is a two step process. First step is you need to have Available Balance of whatever amount you want in your Account and once you have that then buy your US Roaming 10 Day Voice Add on. Also make sure your phone is setup on Automatic Network so when you reach there you will connect to a Roaming Network.       Also another suggestion for others but doesn't apply to you is to Turn on Data/internet Roaming. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GinYVR wrote:

Hi @KAT56 Have a great trip! In case you need it, @Anonymous made a nifty page of how the 611 menu are laid out just in case you need to use your flip phone to get the US Roaming Add on. Also make sure there are enough credits in your account before you travel to cover adding the add on.

Hey! Thanks for the shout out @GinYVR.

Hi @KAT56 Have a great trip! In case you need it, @Anonymous made a nifty page of how the 611 menu are laid out just in case you need to use your flip phone to get the US Roaming Add on. Also make sure there are enough credits in your account before you travel to cover adding the add on.

KAT56

My first visit to Community & Getting Started - thanks to one and all - super helpful - feel more confident with what I need to do.

@KAT56 wrote:

Thank you z10user4 for your help.  Is the SIM card a specific one for the United States?  Do I put it in once I reach the States?  I do not know what a Roaming Add on is??  We are as novice as it gets with our little flip phone cell phone... again - we appreciate all help and advice.

If you need, here is a guide by @srlawren showing you how to purchase an add-on: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974#M22...

@KAT56Your plan only covers calls to USA and Canada when you are physically in Canada. If you are travelling out of Canada, you will be roaming in Public Mobile's eyes and will need the roaming add on.

KAT56

GinYVR - thank you so much - very helpful information.  Sounds like an easy set up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KAT56 wrote:

Thank you z10user4 for your help.  Is the SIM card a specific one for the United States?  Do I put it in once I reach the States?  I do not know what a Roaming Add on is??  We are as novice as it gets with our little flip phone cell phone... again - we appreciate all help and advice.

For your calling needs never mind my idea of a local SIM. The $8 add-on will serve you just fine.

No. All plans are for while IN Canada.

KAT56

If our plan is already for calls to Canada & the US does it make a difference?

Hi @KAT56 You can add the Roaming Addon via your Account page. Do note, the 10 day count down starts when you purchase the add on, not when you cross the border. There is no roaming charges as the service is prepaid, so if you don't have the roaming add on, you just don't get service, very simple.

If you want to get a seperate USA SIM card, Roam Mobility is available at a lot of stores in Canada.

KAT56

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@KAT56 No roaming or overage charges on Public Mobile as it is a prepaid service. If you would like to have access to calling from US to Canada, you can purchase US roaming add-on separately. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KAT56 wrote:

No surprise roaming charges here. But if you wish to use the service in the states you'll need to buy roaming add-ons. Or a local SIM from whatever convenience store.

Edit: otherwise your service from here won't work.

Need Help? Let's chat.