cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transferring phone number

adamcoles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Im currently trying to activate my account, i have a previous number from bell mobility that i would like to keep but when i type it in it says the number is not eligable 

22 REPLIES 22

@dhtwins wrote:

I haven't cancelled my plan with Bell Mobility yet.  But it says my number is ineligible.  Could it be that my number is a Quebec area code and I live in BC?

Have a look at this url: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

You might need to get a new phone number…

• If you move to a different province or “local calling area”. If you’re unsure, please contact your new service provider.
  • If you are transferring services from:
    • Voice over IP (VoIP) to landline
    • VoIP to mobile
    • Landline to VoIP
    • Mobile to VoIP

Contact a moderator regarding your number:

Please use the chatbot SIMon to help you solve your issue. If SIMon cannot solve your issue then you have the option to contact a moderator.

Step 1: Choose the ? button at the right bottom corner of this page or choose “Get Help” at the top of the page and then choose the “Chat with SIMon” button.

Step 2: Tell SIMon what the issue is and see if he can find a solution for you.

Step 3: If Simon cannot find a solution then type in “moderator” to connect to a Public Mobile customer service representative.

Step 4: Simon will present you with two choices. Choose “Account-specific question”

Step 5 Then choose “No, I want a human”

Step 6 Create your ticket

Check the sent folder to make sure your ticket was sent (envelope icon, top right) and the inbox for a reply from the moderators.

“To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help.”

Moderators are available:

Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time

dhtwins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I haven't cancelled my plan with Bell Mobility yet.  But it says my number is ineligible.  Could it be that my number is a Quebec area code and I live in BC?

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@geopublic wrote:

@adamcoles wrote:

the account is still active i just tried to transfer the number again this morning but it will not work

@adamcoles  Do you have a regular consumer account with Bell or is this part of a business account? Business accounts have different porting rules.

Certain business accounts may have porting rules?

I have seen a sucessful port to Public Mobile from a Bell Business Account

@adamcoles wrote:

the account is still active i just tried to transfer the number again this morning but it will not work

@adamcoles  Do you have a regular consumer account with Bell or is this part of a business account? Business accounts have different porting rules.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@adamcoles i would suggest sending a private message to the Moderator_Team and ask for help with the port. They'll be able to tell you what's wrong and if it's doable 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@adamcolesIs your number originally from Bell or from somewhere else? It sounds like your CO code, the 3 digits after your area code belongs to another company that doesn't allow you to port the number.

adamcoles

yes i did but it still doesnt work

@adamcoles   once again did you set up an account and picked a new number?   After that part we can try the port and if it still doesn't work then you can message the moderators for help 

adamcoles

yes it does i have it in my phone now

adamcoles

i was just talking to bell she checked my acoount and she said there is no memo saying that the account is goin to closed and i told her i wanted to keep my service with them 

@adamcoles did you set up the public mobile account with a new number?  That's what you should do and then go back in the account and try to port it and if it still does not work then message the moderator_team and ask them for help

adamcoles

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@adamcoles wrote:

still active but i told them i was cancelling

Don't need to tell Bell that you are leaving.

Is your phone still works?

If yes, your number is still active.

If no, Bell may have cancelled your plan and closed your account.

You may not get your number back  if your number wasnot given to you by Bell, Virgin or Lucky.  As soon as your Bell account is closed, your number will be released back to the provider who gave you that number.

goldilock

@adamcoles 

The problem might be that you already told Bell Mobility that you are cancelling which usually will interfere with porting the number and would explain why it's not eligible when you try to port it. To port a number you aren't supposed to tell your current provider, you tell the provider you want to switch to, in this case it's Public Mobile and then they notify the other provider about it and to release the number to Public mobile (and then after that, Bell Mobility closes the account).  If I were you, I would call back Bell Moblity and say you changed your mind and aren't cancelling because when you notifed them of that, they probably put your account into closure. Your account has to be in good standing and active (not closed) to port a number.  I hope that you are able to keep your number you have with Bell Moblity.

Does your bell Sim card still work on your phone? 

adamcoles

i just tried that but it says that number is not eligable

YVR

Do not know what could be causing the problem.  Maybe retry it again incase its a system issue? 

It should work if your number is active

When you port the number it will automatically close the Bell account 

adamcoles

still active but i told them i was cancelling

adamcoles

how do i do that?

YVR

For porting a number from another carrier, the number and account need to be active.  Are you still using that number from Bell that you want to move to Public mobile?

If you have closed your account with Bell, porting that number will not work.

GR
Mayor / Maire

You should pick a new number from public mobile and after everything is set up then go back in self serve and port your old number 

Need Help? Let's chat.