cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transferring landline to PUBLIC mobile tel#

tellgent
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will the landline tel# that I wish to port to my PUBLIC account always be active, either with the landline service provider or with PUBLIC, once transferred?  I do not want the tel# to be unavailable.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tellgent wrote:

Will the landline tel# that I wish to port to my PUBLIC account always be active, either with the landline service provider or with PUBLIC, once transferred?  I do not want the tel# to be unavailable.

Thanks

@cellphoneuser1 

You can port your landline during the activation process:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/portal/activation

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over. Therefore, you will be able to make calls from your cell phone AND landline, but only incoming will come to your landline until the port is complete.

Do not cancel your landline account until port is complete.

When the port is complete, the landline will be cancelled.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services until the port is complete.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@tellgent wrote:

Thanks

They can't promise. There's not supposed to be downtime but it can happen. Strange things can happen such as calls going nowhere but it usually fixes itself over time.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tellgent One way to think of it is, to move your number from one provider to another, you need to be able to tell the new provider to go get it from the old provider so that they can validate you're the "owner" of the telephone number.  Otherwise, I could say that I want your telephone number and steal it from you.

If your old number is no longer active, the problem exists where you're not really the "owner" any more (or have lost control over your phone number) and the number goes into somewhat of the junkyard to be recycled later on.  (Technically, the reality of this is a bit different but am portraying it as somewhat of a story to illustrate the scenario.)

So like others have said - YES, the old number will need to remain active and Public Mobile will take care of the process for you.  In most cases, once the telephone number has been transferred, the old account gets closed, so any credits/benefits you had are forfeited, and you need to pay off any remaining debts/amounts owing (just like credit cards!).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@tellgent 

Yes it will.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@tellgent wrote:

Thanks

@tellgent    Your landline number needs to stay active until the transfer has been completed and it can take anywhere from 2-7 days for landline transfers to complete.  You can have a temporary PM number until your previous number is ported and once the porting in is completed your service with the old provider will terminate. 

Need Help? Let's chat.